A few new toy reviews and a spey caster is born??

Chadk

Life of the Party
As some of you read in an earlier post of mine, I recently got a screaming deal on an Orvis Recon II 9' 5wr with Orvis Mirage reel.

In the process of looking at 5wt rods and reels, I fell in love with this Red Truck Deseil reel. Basically a hardy knock-off. I got another screaming deal on this reel, plus extra spool, plus a Cortland 10ft sink tip line and a SA Spey Lite integrated Scandi line.

I got them in the mail today. Love the reel. Beautiful machined aluminum. Lovely metallic click both ways. Looks brand new. Reel and spool both came in their own Red Truck neoprene pouch

I initially I planned to trade or sell the lines. But first I figured I could lawn cast them and see if perhaps I liked them.

I actually loved the Scandi. Watched a quick YouTube video and tried it out. My roll cast never looked better. Overhead casting and shooting line was also impressive. Could see that being a go-to on the beaches for SRC or skating October caddis in the fall on the local rivers.

My meager attempts at a basic spey cast weren't amazing, but certainly promising and I could see myself applying it to a number of scenarios.

The sink tip also performed well. Will likely be my primary streamer line on bigger deeper waters.

So now I'm keeping them both.

I also picked up a mid length fishpond nomad net. Had a gift card and decided to go for it.

First impressions:
I like the size of the net and length of handle. Will make a great kayak net as well as bank fishing and wading scenarios. Will handle trout, walleye, humpies. May be pushing it for mid to large coho and steelhead.

Handle is slick. Not as grippy as I'd like.

I bought the rubber cap. I can see it coming in handy as a wading staff or slippery slope assist. Had to punch a hole for my tether strap.

Basket is plenty deep.

Best part is that it fits perfectly in the back of my 20 year old costco day pack.

1000008981.jpg
1000008980.jpg1000008979.jpg1000008907.jpg1000008906.jpg1000008849.jpg