A Dangerous Time of Year for Wading....

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
the streams near my place are all mud bottom spring creeks, so we generally don't have the same issues as on Western freestone streams. My biggest physical issue on these creeks is getting stuck in mud (I had to help a buddy extricate himself from such a place last summer).

However, when I turned 60, my wife bought me a high-quality wading staff, which I carry on my hip every trip.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Getting old sucks for wading, I took 2 swims yesterday. Good thing it was a warm day.
Getting old sucks for a great many things...EXCEPT for retirement, which gives you plenty of time to be doing some things for which you'd best be extra cautious...

Last edited:

krusty

Forum Supporter
At 72 I don't wade the Spokane anymore...it's a rocksnot bowling ball wading nightmare.

But if I did I'd be wearing a HIT inflatable PFD.

krusty

Forum Supporter

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
the streams near my place are all mud bottom spring creeks, so we generally don't have the same issues as on Western freestone streams. My biggest physical issue on these creeks is getting stuck in mud (I had to help a buddy extricate himself from such a place last summer).

However, when I turned 60, my wife bought me a high-quality wading staff, which I carry on my hip every trip.
I put off buying a wading staff. Finally at 64 did so to keep from stumbling on rocky bottoms. Wish I had bought one years ago.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
had a rattlesnake incident coming out of the river onto the bank in which I was extremely happy to have had a wading staff in hand, checking off another on my bucket list...fencing with rattlers
Now a shallow wading elder, always a grin to point out to the deep waders their walking over the fish.. :)

RCF

Life of the Party
If I wade now, I wet wade and well below the knee in depth. Yeah, can still get into trouble, have before, but the 'young kid in me' won't give up this choice...

Now I prefer to hire a guide. I did work most of my life and saved a bunch along the way giving up on things I wanted. I did that so I am able to hire a guide when and where I want.

Last edited:

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm turning 74 this summer and for the last 7 years I don't go fishing or rock hounding without my staff.
When I wet wade I will get waist deep, but if I'm wearing chest waders I try to stay knee deep or less.
The reason is. If it's to cold to wet wade it's to cold to get wet if I fall and the wader full up.