A brook rod on a brook

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 8.42.08 PM.png
Took my 6'9" Constable staggered ferrule 4 weight bamboo rod east of the mountains today in search of cleaner air and west slope cutthroat. This creek runs through a delightful meadow. The water is ice cold.
Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 8.44.10 PM.png
A size 16 or 18 Adams did the trick but the fish were spooky in the shallows. A shadow or heavy step or unnecessary false cast would put them down. Lots of creeping and crawling and casting from my knees.
Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 8.46.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 8.47.56 PM.png

Made lots of noise on the walk out. Didn't want to be mistaken for a deer by one of the many hunters in the vicinity. Tim Cottage I think the 6'9" Constable is a keeper!
Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 9.02.37 PM.png

Last edited:

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Definitely a keeper in my book. As you discover it's full capabilities with different lines and different waters you'll be glad you did.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Definitely a keeper in my book. As you discover it's full capabilities with different lines and different waters you'll be glad you did
Really liked the Constable for short casts. Do you use yours on bigger streams and stillwaters? I can think of a few beaver ponds where it would be fun.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Really liked the Constable for short casts. Do you use yours on bigger streams and stillwaters? I can think of a few beaver ponds where it would be fun.
I don't use mine on bigger streams and stillwaters although small beaver ponds might be fun.
I recognize and work within it's limitations.
The reason I like long belly lines for this and almost all para type rods is that most of them are up to the task of handling the added line weight of a longer cast with a long belly line up to their inherent limitations, which all rods have.