A 7wt to do it all?

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
Hey guys! I'm in search of a 7wt that doesn't break the bank and that I can use for all species including bass, carp, bull trout, and streamer fishing for trout. Currently, I've been looking at an Echo ION XL 9'0" 7wt, but not sure how well the rod will perform in all of those situations. Any suggestions?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Not a bad place to start....lots of folks love those Echos for utilitarian stuff like that.

Honestly though for me, I like a 7 for smallmouth and trout streamers, an 8 for carp (just starting in on that game and wouldn't really want anything less than that due to big fish potential) and a 9 or 10 for bullies (mostly because I like to throw big flies for them ...stuff that a 7wt can't ever handle).

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
Not a bad place to start....lots of folks love those Echos for utilitarian stuff like that.

Honestly though for me, I like a 7 for smallmouth and trout streamers, an 8 for carp (just starting in on that game and wouldn't really want anything less than that due to big fish potential) and a 9 or 10 for bullies (mostly because I like to throw big flies for them ...stuff that a 7wt can't ever handle).
Haven't ever thrown massive flies for bull trout so a 7wt will work for me when fishing bull trout. I would probably need an 8wt for carp but I'm trying to find a rod that will work for all, and I think that a 7wt would work fine for carp, and if i get destroyed by a fish then i get destroyed 🤷‍♂️

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Can't go wrong with the Ion XL. The only question is whether or not to get it in 9' or 10'. I have a 10' that I use on Puget Sound beaches but for the situations you listed, a 9' may be better suited.

Hey guys! I'm in search of a 7wt that doesn't break the bank and that I can use for all species including bass, carp, bull trout, and streamer fishing for trout. Currently, I've been looking at an Echo ION XL 9'0" 7wt, but not sure how well the rod will perform in all of those situations. Any suggestions?
I have a Echo ION XL 9' 6wt. that I use on Puget Sound to fish for coho salmon and sea-run cutthroat. I am a pretty good caster under favorable wind conditions and can sometimes cast plus or minus 100 feet of line. All I can say is it a cannon for casting a lot of line with 2 false casts while double hauling.

I fish from a boat and prefer a 9 foot rod vs. a 10 foot rod. IMHO I can get tighter casting line loops with a 9 foot rod. The 6 wt. rod works great for my fishing uses. However, the fish species which you mentioned might be best persuade with an 7 or 8 wt. When I fish for bull trout in streams I use an 8 wt. rod. You will be very pleased with the casting and fish handling of a ION XL rod.

Roger

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was going to add this to my recommendations, but personally, the Vice is not my favorite when I have to put out a delicate presentation. I've used on for bonefish and super spooky redfish while I was waiting for a replacement section for my BVK and really didn't like it. I did like it when I was blind casting, and felt like I could get more distance out of it than my BVK. I wouldn't recommend it for carp, but for everything else its not a bad choice.
Redington vice is a very capable rod. On sale at Backcountry. Very good deal for the money IMO.

View attachment 78334

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Another vote for the Ion XL. I have the 10 foot version and use it on the beach and sitting in the boat. Sadly, I have not hooked a fish that stressed it too much. It's a brute, though, and holds up really well.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
consider the Fenwick AETOS, which I prefer in 6 wt over my Ion XL 6 wt...tad crisper, great balance, fine finish. Big Fly Co has one on sale for $164. The $500 rods of a decade ago are today's pricepoint rods...

Mingo

Life of the Party
I have Ion XL rods in 6, 7 and 9 weights. I use my 7 for everything from bonefish to trevally and steelhead. It is not a cheap budget rod at all, it has a very light swing weight and plenty of backbone. My 9 has whipped mahimahi and tuna and bigger trevally and cuda. They're taugh sticks.

Here are a couple bones I landed on my 7 wt Ion XL. it'll do fine for your needs. Rugged stuff. IMG_9207.jpgIMG_9206.jpg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Haven't ever thrown massive flies for bull trout so a 7wt will work for me when fishing bull trout. I would probably need an 8wt for carp but I'm trying to find a rod that will work for all, and I think that a 7wt would work fine for carp, and if i get destroyed by a fish then i get destroyed 🤷‍♂️
I fished a TFO Lefty Kreh Pro Series 5100 for local carp - for the most part the stillwater I fish the 5 wt was just okay until it wasn't. A beast or two I just coudn't manage with the 5. I went back to the 8 weight. I believe the Ion XL 790 will be more than suitable for carp.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I really like my 6 weight, 9 ft Ion XL for lake fishing and bass. It has a lot of backbone. Earlier this summer in NE Oregon, I tested the warranty service when I slammed the tip in my truck door. Had enough cell reception to order a replacement online. Ordered two because the price was so reasonable. Ordered an Echo Swing 7130 that is arriving today for my backup steelhead rod and loaner when I take others out who haven’t cast a Spey rod. That saves my Meiser being used for teaching. Meiser has a great warranty service as well, but I’d rather not exercise it too much. Can’t go wrong with Echo rods! The Swing will be the fourth Echo rod in my quiver.

Divad

Whitefish
This got brought up on another thread not long ago and someone had good comparison between and Echo Ion XL swing weight compared to _____. The rod I’m forgetting is blue, this likely doesn’t help much but I owned a 10’ 7wt Ion XL and although it was incredibly strong I didn’t like the swing weight.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
This got brought up on another thread not long ago and someone had good comparison between and Echo Ion XL swing weight compared to _____. The rod I’m forgetting is blue, this likely doesn’t help much but I owned a 10’ 7wt Ion XL and although it was incredibly strong I didn’t like the swing weight.
Echo Boost Blue?