6-Cylinder Vehicle Camping Rigs?

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Six years ago, I bought my Toyota Tacoma but quickly discovered its V-6 power limitations when it came to camping and my budget. These days, I’ve resigned myself to filling the bed and the space behind the seats with camping gear. To the gills. Really need to spring for a canopy.

So, what I’d like to see is how those stuck with 6-cylinder limitations are handling camping and fishing trips. Just looking for inspiration.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Six years ago, I bought my Toyota Tacoma but quickly discovered its V-6 power limitations when it came to camping and my budget. These days, I’ve resigned myself to filling the bed and the space behind the seats with camping gear. To the gills. Really need to spring for a canopy.

So, what I’d like to see is how those stuck with 6-cylinder limitations are handling camping and fishing trips. Just looking for inspiration.

My 30 year old 4 cylinder 22re does everything and more that I could ask of it ;)

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Do you tow a trailer, have a camper or canopy top?
Fair, I don't tow a trailer. Just a canopy top.
But I do throw multiple motorcycles in and drive all around the state.
Most notably, 2 motorcycles, 4 grown ass adults, camping gear and food for a week and we drove from Portland to Alvord Desert and cruised at 65 the whole way.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
My 22 yro V6 F150 is 2WD and a 5 Spd.

I bought it when I was working on the road a lot. It towed an enclosed 6x14 with both of my roll away tool boxes plus sundries on many cross country trips. (maybe 2900 lbs out of a 4500 capacity) . Never once felt under powered.

Works good as a camping rig using a cheap aluminum shell that I reinforced and insulated.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What V-6 limitations? I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with the 3.6 liter V-6, full sized 8 foot bed, tall canopy and complete camper setup with floor to ceiling cabinets, big chuck box, compressor refrigerator, Jackery 1000w power unit, bed frame and kitchen with stove, sink and water pump, spare propane and butane along with fresh and gray water tanks.

With 305 hp and 269 lb/ft of torque and an 8 speed transmission it is anything but limited for a V-6 with a 7,400 lb towing capacity. I towed a 5,000 lb Lance trailer with it for awhile and it would cross Sherman Pass-Washington's highest-with ease using the 3.55 rear axle. There is no lack of power and in fact it is more powerful than the V-8 I owned before.

In a recent several hundred mile trip that included both ways across 3 mountain passes and lots of of crappy dirt roads pulling an 8' x 5' trailer loaded with gear, it delivered 16.4 mpg with all of the comfort and space that a full sized truck provides. Smooth, powerful and quiet, no little truck can compete with their noisy cramped interior and choppy ride.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Ceviche ;
1) How do you consider your 6 cyl under powered?

2) Do you have a short bed (4-6 feet) or a standard 8 foot bed?
Truck is a Toyota Tacoma, access cab, 6ft bed. It’s more like I’m just wary of asking much from it. A friend and I were looking at camper options for his Ford F-150 and my Taco. Not uncommon that a suspension upgrade was needed. Neither he or I are flush with cash, so that dead ended. He ended up getting a canopy with extra height.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Truck is a Toyota Tacoma, access cab, 6ft bed. It’s more like I’m just wary of asking much from it. A friend and I were looking at camper options for his Ford F-150 and my Taco. Not uncommon that a suspension upgrade was needed. Neither he or I are flush with cash, so that dead ended. He ended up getting a canopy with extra
Ive pretty much nailed it. I was gonna give a long rambling answer but simpler is better.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party

My experience with 6 cylinder fishing vehicles
1. A 1995 Nissan Pathfinder
2. 2001 Ford Ranger.

The Nissan completely lacked power and the ranger was too small.
Neither one got good gas mileage even when driven conservatively.
I would say that the Nissan had absolutely 0 towing capacity. The ranger would have done fine towing.
HOWEVER the shortcomings of the V6 and the lack of positives led me to the opinion that you might as well go full size and get a V8..
I had a 94 f-150 longed got 12 in the city and 16 on the highway.
My ranger got about 18 combined.
The longed could accommodate two cots with room in the middle and plenty of gear stored under the cots and with a canopy it was secure and weatherproof.

If I were to choose between the ranger and the f-150. Though my heart would puck the ranger my brain would slap my heart silly and make the common sense choice of the f-150..
V6s in Trucks are for the birds..

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Fixed it for you.
I too have seen IveofIone pull out from a boat launch with his Ram V6 - it goes very well up the grade from the Columbia, towing his boat trailer. My Ram with a V8 would be challenged by his truck the way he has it set up.

I have a 2019 Ford XLT F 150 V6 3.6 L turbo I bought nearly new and it can easily tow more than 2 times the capacity of my former 2003 V8 Silverado 4 speed automatic. The F 150 also has the 10 speed transmission which I am certain makes so much of the difference. The mileage is not much improvement over the v8 when towing though. The turbo makes the V6 act like its on steroids but my wallet feel like its being drug behind rolling on the road as we travel. Both mileage on Chevy and Ford V6 are / were sub 16MPG. I have an oversize contractor rack, a roll out drawer with a glass rack on it which makes my work easier but much more heavy than just canopy alone. Probably have at least 700 -800 pounds in or on the bed of the truck all the time and then add gear / stuff and an older 22 foot RV. Yet... it pulls that RV like its a toy. Never thought I would own a Ford but it has made a believer out of me. What I hate is the truck payments every month. I guess I would do it again but was forced into purchasing this truck when some "yeah whos" stole my old truck and totaled it. The higher capacity transmission really makes towing much easier on the rig nand that turbo can haul that old trailer up hills like they are flat ground for the most part. Just wish it was paid for.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sadly, many guys that buy new trucks don't know shit from apple butter about what they are getting. Often the extent of their decision making is going to the dealer and saying: "I'll take the red one with the big wheels!" A truck that is highly geared-ie 3.08 for instance-will lope along easily on level ground at low rpm and get the best possible mileage. But put a trailer behind it and cross a mountain pass and you will think about 1/2 of your horsepower is missing. It's all in the gearing, the wrong axle ratio can make towing a nightmare in hilly terrain. Your truck may be just fine in Kansas or Nebraska but struggle like hell to tow in the mountain west.

When I ordered my truck in 2014 had I taken the standard rear axle my towing capacity would have been 4,450#, not much for a full sized truck. But by checking the box that said "3.55 rear axle" my towing capacity went from 4,450 to 7,300 pounds. A nearly 3,000 pound increase for $43! And the peace of mind to know that it can sail over any mountain pass without making me think I need a V-8. V-8's are history now as several manufacturers have dropped them altogether in favor of the more efficient turbo V-6. In-line 6 cylinder engines are making a comeback also and seem to offer better torque characteristics than a V-6. They are smooth running engines. And to show that the V-8 is on it's death bed, Chevrolet is now selling a full size Silverado with a turbo 4 engine.

Know what you are getting-don't buy a rig that is geared for the prairie to drive across the Cascades or Sierra. You won't be happy if you intend to tow.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Sadly, many guys that buy new trucks don't know shit from apple butter about what they are getting. Often the extent of their decision making is going to the dealer and saying: "I'll take the red one with the big wheels!" A truck that is highly geared-ie 3.08 for instance-will lope along easily on level ground at low rpm and get the best possible mileage. But put a trailer behind it and cross a mountain pass and you will think about 1/2 of your horsepower is missing. It's all in the gearing, the wrong axle ratio can make towing a nightmare in hilly terrain. Your truck may be just fine in Kansas or Nebraska but struggle like hell to tow in the mountain west.

When I ordered my truck in 2014 had I taken the standard rear axle my towing capacity would have been 4,450#, not much for a full sized truck. But by checking the box that said "3.55 rear axle" my towing capacity went from 4,450 to 7,300 pounds. A nearly 3,000 pound increase for $43! And the peace of mind to know that it can sail over any mountain pass without making me think I need a V-8. V-8's are history now as several manufacturers have dropped them altogether in favor of the more efficient turbo V-6. In-line 6 cylinder engines are making a comeback also and seem to offer better torque characteristics than a V-6. They are smooth running engines. And to show that the V-8 is on it's death bed, Chevrolet is now selling a full size Silverado with a turbo 4 engine.

Know what you are getting-don't buy a rig that is geared for the prairie to drive across the Cascades or Sierra. You won't be happy if you intend to tow.
Insights!

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
I have a 2019 Ford XLT F 150 V6 3.6 L turbo I bought nearly new and it can easily tow more than 2 times the capacity of my former 2003 V8 Silverado 4 speed automatic. The F 150 also has the 10 speed transmission which I am certain makes so much of the difference. The mileage is not much improvement over the v8 when towing though. The turbo makes the V6 act like its on steroids but my wallet feel like its being drug behind rolling on the road as we travel. Both mileage on Chevy and Ford V6 are / were sub 16MPG. I have an oversize contractor rack, a roll out drawer with a glass rack on it which makes my work easier but much more heavy than just canopy alone. Probably have at least 700 -800 pounds in or on the bed of the truck all the time and then add gear / stuff and an older 22 foot RV. Yet... it pulls that RV like its a toy. Never thought I would own a Ford but it has made a believer out of me. What I hate is the truck payments every month. I guess I would do it again but was forced into purchasing this truck when some "yeah whos" stole my old truck and totaled it. The higher capacity transmission really makes towing much easier on the rig nand that turbo can haul that old trailer up hills like they are flat ground for the most part. Just wish it was paid for.
I have a 2018 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost 4x4 Platinum Crew Cab with the 6 1/2’ bed which has more than enough space and power for all of my needs, and as you say, that Ford engine can tow reasonably sized trailers with ease.

My truck has the max trailer tow package, and Ford has it rated to tow 13,000#, although my truck’s payload of 1,540# would limit me in doing so.

I don’t think it’s the V6 that is the limiting factor, as you and others have pointed out, as it is the vehicle itself that the V6 is in.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don’t trust the long term reliability of turbos, especially the smaller displacement 6 & 4 cylinder ones. As one who keeps trucks for as long as possible reliability past 100K miles is more important than mileage. I bought a 2017 Tundra for that reason, gets 15- 18 mpg, 9.8 towing a 7K lbs trailer to BC, up the Coquihalla, Icefields Parkway and other mountain roads without ever felling underpowered. Local independent tire and brake and suspension shop that gets my business told me several farmers and a Veteranarian have them with 300-500k miles without problems.
The Tundra has no squeaks or rattles, doors shut like a Lexus or ‘90’s Mercedes 500 and the 6- speed transmission is intuitive and bulletproof. The recent GM, Ford and Ram transmissions have all been problematic; time will tell how the newer 10 speeds will hold up.
the 4:30 differential makes towing nice and easy and it’s turning 1750 at 70 mph.