586 fly rods

Xoxo

A good long read:

I read the whole thread. (i missed that one last April.) So i looked at my Sage warranty . Mine does not say “nominal fee” . But i also read on the other thread that certain letters on the serial number were still honoring the so called “lifetime warranty” and ones starting with. U, like mine are not on that list.

It’s good to know though. If i ever sell it i would ask more than i would have had i not read these threads As it is in great condition. I already bought my nephew a 5 wt Echo so i might just give it to him as a backup rod since he is just starting out and only owns one rod. My only problem with that is he is the kind of guy who can be fairly careless , for example he loses his phone a lot or cracks the screen. So while i imagine he will definitely have a need for a backup rod if he keeps fishing, i would hate to find out he broke my old Sage by being careless because i have always taken good care of all of my things.

Anyway, i had no idea about the costs of repair until reading here. Thanks y’all!

58679FC3-4241-40F9-8B85-8F5A8180CE69.jpeg

Xoxo

The receipt from The Morning Hatch was attached to it . I actually bought it in 1998 and it cost $325. I don’t know why it says i purchased it in 2000 But i think that is when the tip broke in 2000. ( The canopy of my husband’s truck snapped it off when it was sitting strung up in the back on the first day of a weeklong trip to the Yakima. Luckily our friend Keith had a backup rod.)

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
If I was buying a rod like that, right now, I would get one of the newer Greys rods; a GR60 or GR80. I used to have an XF2 and it was one of the best rods I have ever used.

That said, I have to give a shameless plug to tight-lining dry-droppers on the long rod. On freestones, it is a ridiculously effective and fun way to fish.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
If I was buying a rod like that, right now, I would get one of the newer Greys rods; a GR60 or GR80. I used to have an XF2 and it was one of the best rods I have ever used.

That said, I have to give a shameless plug to tight-lining dry-droppers on the long rod. On freestones, it is a ridiculously effective and fun way to fish.
I’ll look at those rods. Thanks.

The long rod will not cut it fishing from a drift boat. The shorter rod helps for casting accurately tight to cover, which from a drift boat you will need to do consistently all day or risk emptying your fly box into the bushes. I’ve always liked long rods, but for dry fly specific purposes I think 8-8.5’ is the sweet spot for both the presentation casts and accuracy IMO. Even from shore I definitely prefer it.

I get back to the NW for a little bit on 7/15 before I head to Montana, so hopefully I can track down some rods to cast at the local fly shops. There isn’t a 5wt rd within 500 miles of me here in NOLA lol.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I don't know how applicable this is to your situation however I always wanted a fiberglass 7ft 6wt for fishing salmon flies on the Deschutes. With a rod like this I could male short casts in deep jungle water with easy loading and with the fiberglass I could high stick and bring fish in quickly without risk to the rod.
If big flies are the goal I'd say don't rule out a 6 unless you are not around larger fish.
Shorter rods are however great tools for dry fly fishing.. my main rod is an 8ft 3" 5wt.
I like fiberglass but no so much from a drift boat pounding the bank. BUT after recently purchasing an 8wt iconoglass and seeing what modern glass can do I shouldn’t be too quick to rule it out.

I read your recent review of some rods you cast, and the Sage sonic is definitely on my radar. If I can find a 586 to cast I would be very happy to try it. I haven’t been too excited with recent Sage rods, but the older RPL, SP and XP where some of my favorite casting rods ever. They had some magic to them. I would go that route but I know I’m signing up for an expensive repair should anything happen, and I’d rather not.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
My Redington Classic Trout in 5 wt and 8' 6" length is quite possibly my favorite casting rod, and the 3 wt CT is just as nice. I've got "standard" 9' 5 wt rods, and they are good to very good rods, I've become partial to this CT 5 wt.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
A couple older rods you might enjoy if you could find them would be the G Loomis FR 1025 in either IM6 or GL3.
SF

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
LLB Guide Series 2pc, 20 or so yrs old. I'm on my 2nd one, believe these were Loomis blanks and pretty much perfect. Still my daily driver rod and that's even in lakes from a float tube. If you see one, good luck bidding against me..

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My Redington Classic Trout in 5 wt and 8' 6" length is quite possibly my favorite casting rod, and the 3 wt CT is just as nice. I've got "standard" 9' 5 wt rods, and they are good to very good rods, I've become partial to this CT 5 wt.
I wondered when someone would mention the Redington CT's. I have the same 8'6'' 5wt along with 4 other CT's. They simply suit my casting style, cast beautifully and are easy to buy. Last month I bought an 8'6'' 3wt CT for just over a hundred bucks. It dovetails with a peach DT and is a delight to use. How a $500 rod can be 5 times better must be answerable in terms of bragging rights.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I wondered when someone would mention the Redington CT's. I have the same 8'6'' 5wt along with 4 other CT's. They simply suit my casting style, cast beautifully and are easy to buy. Last month I bought an 8'6'' 3wt CT for just over a hundred bucks. It dovetails with a peach DT and is a delight to use. How a $500 rod can be 5 times better must be answerable in terms of bragging rights.
Now those are some wise words.