586 fly rods

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I’m thinking about picking up a shorter 5wt for throwing larger dry flies and dry dropper rigs on western freestones. Any one have any favorites they enjoy casting? New or old. Thanks.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Admittedly have not tried anything ‘newer’ but the three I’ve had or fished and really liked are B2X, xp and zaxis. All very good despite being fairly different rods and would recommend any of em

TFO used to make a BVK model. My wife has one and it is a great casting and fishing rod. Very light swingweight but can reach for distance when needed.

Xoxo

I have a 2 piece 586 XP Sage. It was the only fly rod I owned for over 20 years. But since I mostly catch smaller fish I finally bought a 4-piece 3 wt Sage a few years ago at The Puget Sound Flyshop. I don’t fish that much anymore, but when I do I only use my 3 wt. It casts great too and i like that it’s a 4 pc , but i do wish it was shorter.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
This is a size I'd like to see gain favor again
I was actually surprised, seems like quite a lot of options at 586. Problem is, doesn’t seem like a lot are available to cast at fly shops so I’m kinda flying blind.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Admittedly have not tried anything ‘newer’ but the three I’ve had or fished and really liked are B2X, xp and zaxis. All very good despite being fairly different rods and would recommend any of em
I’ve always really liked the 590 z axis but have never cast the 586. I bet that is a sweet rod.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I have a 2 piece 586 XP Sage. It was the only fly rod I owned for over 20 years. But since I mostly catch smaller fish I finally bought a 4-piece 3 wt Sage a few years ago at The Puget Sound Flyshop. I don’t fish that much anymore, but when I do I only use my 3 wt. It casts great too and i like that it’s a 4 pc , but i do wish it was shorter.
I do love me a Sage XP. Hard to find these days and the prices are crazy. And considering the repair on one of my XP’s is costing me $200 I’m a little skeptical of buying another one. But… they are beautiful casting tools!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I was actually surprised, seems like quite a lot of options at 586. Problem is, doesn’t seem like a lot are available to cast at fly shops so I’m kinda flying blind.
I've been lobbying to add one to the lineup, but the consensus is that they're a really tough sell.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
If you’re not opposed to trying bamboo or just want to give it a try, one of my favorites is the Granger 8642 (8’- 6” @ 4.2oz.). They were made in a variety of grades, and good ones can be had for $350 - $400 or so.

A great 5wt. made for western rivers and unless I’m fishing small creeks, it’s the one I grab out of my stash almost every outing.

And don’t listen to the old wives tale that bamboo rods are fragile. They’re not.
They’re traditional, handmade by craftsmen, and they’re fun to fish with.

Xoxo

I do love me a Sage XP. Hard to find these days and the prices are crazy. And considering the repair on one of my XP’s is costing me $200 I’m a little skeptical of buying another one. But… they are beautiful casting tools!
Wow I didn’t know. $200 is a lot for repair. I broke a tip on my XP but Sage repaired it for shipping costs. Does Sage not honor warranties anymore? The warranty is one reason I bought a Sage.

My 3 wt Sage, however i bought used from the fly shop for about $500,( tho Anil told me considering how it was packaged it didn’t look as if it was ever used). But no warranty on that one. I doubt I’ll ever break it. ( my husband broke my XP tip).

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
If you’re not opposed to trying bamboo or just want to give it a try, one of my favorites is the Granger 8642 (8’- 6” @ 4.2oz.). They were made in a variety of grades, and good ones can be had for $350 - $400 or so.

A great 5wt. made for western rivers and unless I’m fishing small creeks, it’s the one I grab out of my stash almost every outing.

And don’t listen to the old wives tale that bamboo rods are fragile. They’re not.
They’re traditional, handmade by craftsmen, and they’re fun to fish with.
That’s actually a rod I’m on the look out for, I would really like it for wading rivers for SRC and trout.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Wow I didn’t know. $200 is a lot for repair. I broke a tip on my XP but Sage repaired it for shipping costs. Does Sage not honor warranties anymore? The warranty is one reason I bought a Sage.

My 3 wt Sage, however i bought used from the fly shop for about $500,( tho Anil told me considering how it was packaged it didn’t look as if it was ever used). But no warranty on that one. I doubt I’ll ever break it. ( my husband broke my XP tip).
Sage recently changed their repair prices on their older rods. XP is one of them unfortunately I was very disappointed.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Scott G series for top dollar, or the Flex for midrange, both great sticks!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin

A good long read:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I’m thinking about picking up a shorter 5wt for throwing larger dry flies and dry dropper rigs on western freestones. Any one have any favorites they enjoy casting? New or old. Thanks.
I don't know how applicable this is to your situation however I always wanted a fiberglass 7ft 6wt for fishing salmon flies on the Deschutes. With a rod like this I could male short casts in deep jungle water with easy loading and with the fiberglass I could high stick and bring fish in quickly without risk to the rod.
If big flies are the goal I'd say don't rule out a 6 unless you are not around larger fish.
Shorter rods are however great tools for dry fly fishing.. my main rod is an 8ft 3" 5wt.