3wt lines

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
Just bought a 3wt for some small streams. It's a loop Opti K2 8'8" 3wt. I have a Redington zero reel paired with it. I'm looking for a line - nothing fancy or expensive. Any suggestions?

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Congratulations! Rio Gold or Cortland Peach DT would be my recommendations. The Cortland Peach DT being the lesser expensive of the two at about $65.00 new.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I have an old scientific anglers 3wt line. Its a DT, lime green, never used, but is spooled on a reel and in the closet for years. not sure if I have the box anymore. I dont even have a 3wt rod, just the blank I never got around to building. You can have it for shipping/handling. If I can find it, I'll look when I get home.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Rio Mainstream would be another option on the less expensive side of things budget wise.
Likely not the most durable line though.
SF

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
Not many, I eventually caved and went with 4wt's. However, this is on a Sage X and it seems to handle overlining well.

East Coaster

Steelhead
I second the Cortland Peach. Whichever make/brand you go with, if you buy a DT, you're effectively getting two lines for the price of one (just flip it around when the tip starts to wear and doesn't float as well), so it should be useful for twice as long as a WF would be, and with a 3wt fishing small streams, you're likely not going to need any of the casting advantages a WF might provide.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Cortland Sylk fly line $65 High floating no coils, and cast well on Graphite and Bamboo Rio gold is a half weight heavier
I agree with Lue, the Sylk DT is a nice line. When Cartland first came out with them years ago they had a bad reputation because the tip would tend to sink. They fixed that, and now they’re great.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Cortland Sylk fly line $65 High floating no coils, and cast well on Graphite and Bamboo Rio gold is a half weight heavier
I have this Cortland Sylk fly line for my 3 wt as well and I have no complaints.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
  • Cortland 333 WF
  • Cortland 444 WF
  • Cortland Modern Trout
  • Rio Avid Trout
  • Rio Mainstream Trout
  • Scientific Anglers Air Cel Floating
  • Scientific Anglers Frequency Trout
They're all cheap and decent enough. FYI, the taper of Cortland Modern Trout is nearly identical to Rio Gold. I'm personally not a fan of DT lines, but YMMV.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I love 3wts, but for whatever reason, I've nevre used a DT line on one of them. I recently noticed that the current WF line on my 3wt is starting to have more of a "sink tip" than I'd like. Perhaps it's time to see about putting a Cortland 444 peach DT on there and see what the fuss is about...

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
I love 3wts, but for whatever reason, I've nevre used a DT line on one of them. I recently noticed that the current WF line on my 3wt is starting to have more of a "sink tip" than I'd like. Perhaps it's time to see about putting a Cortland 444 peach DT on there and see what the fuss is about...

Give it a try and see what you think. If you don't like it, I don't think that you would have a problem reselling it.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Do you ever clean your line?