2024 Skagit Steelhead

Smalma

Life of the Party
To build a bit on Salmo_g's excellent post today steelheading is as much a hunting as fishing game. As such there now is a premium on reading the water and further parsing that water down to what can be effectively fished with your chosen method. I tend to fish rapidly covering a lot of water looking for that single or small pod of fish slowing down only when the fish tell me it is time to do so. A river like the Sauk that changes to some degree with every single major flood event so that know good fly water often is based on dated information. I do feel sorry for most of today's anglers where because the sparse numbers of fish it is difficult for them to encounter enough fish to effectively learn to read that water. One could be doing everything correctly but if there are no fish in the run the result is no fish. However, it almost always the more observant angler that pays attention to what others are doing helps with that tough learning curve. The best of our steelheaders can fish a river new to them and still largely be effectively fishing the "best water".

As an aside of the four major factors in steelheading success I would rank the ability to properly read the water as number one, understanding how your fly is swimming and how your line control effects how the presenting itself as second, the casting ability as a distant thrid and the fly choice by far the least important.

curt

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
I'll throw another proverbial log on the fire = how I approach the '3-4 known spots' issue would depend on the Steelhead run I'm fishing and where I am in the migratory path. Am I on the Skagit in spring? I won't worry as much about the 3-4 spots because I'm looking more for the traveling/resting spots along the watery highway. Once I get up to the mid Sauk, the fish are slowing down and so am I. I'll try harder to fish one of the 3-4 known resting/holding runs, ideally after it's been rested. Or, if I have to follow someone thru, I'll go with a much smaller fly and try to slow down my presentation.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
This time of year the days are long. I either get up super early and beat the shit show to my number one ranked rock, or I arrive to the river at 1 or 2 and fish until dark and plan to camp on a good spot for the last couple hours of day. I see a lot of fly fishermen everywhere these days and it’s a bit of singular method, making it difficult to pass through after someone has already fished but I would probably try some floating line setups this time of year as crowded as it is. I would also try some egg flies on the swing.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
This time of year the days are long. I either get up super early and beat the shit show to my number one ranked rock, or I arrive to the river at 1 or 2 and fish until dark and plan to camp on a good spot for the last couple hours of day. I see a lot of fly fishermen everywhere these days and it’s a bit of singular method, making it difficult to pass through after someone has already fished but I would probably try some floating line setups this time of year as crowded as it is. I would also try some egg flies on the swing.
I would have laughed at floating line/egg patterns on the swing until a week or so ago. Was funcasting with friends on a closed river , casting a floating midbelly line. The rod's owner had a orange and yellow yarn 'fly' on the leader that was coated in fly floatant. Looked just like a little yarn egg in the water. At first I thought it was so he could track the speed of the swing, then midswing I had a suicidal steelie blow up on the yarn. Actually felt it for a moment. Then about 30 seconds later and about 20 yds upstream the rod's owner had the same thing happen to his yarn fly. The surface takes were large and noisy - several folks saw/heard them. Once again Steelhead remind me there's still a lot I don't know about their behavior.

Last edited:

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
Steelhead chess, my favorite game.

Everybody is locked on the name brand drifts, you know, the ones where the bottom is gradually slanted upward so the current slows to that magical walking speed, it's gravel bottom is studded with basketball to coffee table sized rock, the drift is long and sexy like her legs 30 years ago. I frequent these places at weird times, like the socially awkward misfit Steelheader I am. I won't go early, not before 2pm, these are the spots I'll put to bed. Low, clear water? Most guys are fishing small and subtle, so I'll go loud, obnoxious, and intrusive, then I'll switch it up for different water conditions.

The whole bottom gradually inverted, structure, blah blah blah that is found in those Costco crowded runs is also found in other places not so obvious. Our western rivers are strewn with them, however, they can hold steelhead consistently, and most times are consistently inconsistent. This is where Smalmas tiger hunting strategy works. Sneak in, fan cast for clues, and off to the next bucket.

When in doubt, all hope is lost? Fish the upstream tailout of the nastiest rapid you can find, do this even on the not-so nasty rapids and you'll be snickering at those puffy, flat brimmed, bead bros beating that sexy Gnar riffle head-in that we all know is a waste of time.

I'm almost out of liquor, so I'll see myself to the door...

Smalma

Life of the Party
Something to keep in mind in understanding/targeting those Skagit/Sauk steelhead is their late spawn timing. They are very different than their OP cousins. The first spawning of those upper basin fish is just now underway. By the time the season closes in mid-April something like 15% of the population would have completed their spawning. In fact the timing of the Skagit/Sauk CnR season was set to avoid the period when the bulk of the population would be spawning.

Curt

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I would laughed at floating line/egg patterns on the swing until a week or so ago. Was funcasting with friends on a closed river , casting a floating midbelly line. The rod's owner had a orange and yellow yarn 'fly' on the leader that was coated in fly floatant. Looked just like a little yarn egg in the water. At first I thought it was so he could track the speed of the swing, then midswing I had a suicidal steelie blow up on the yarn. Actually felt it for a moment. Then about 30 seconds later and about 20 yds upstream the rod's owner had the same thing happen to his yarn fly. The surface takes were large and noisy - several folks saw/heard them. Once again Steelhead remind me there's still a lot I don't know about their behavior.

Egg patterns are legit to me, and I almost never see fly guys swinging them. If you don’t like beads then tie some. A floating line is a great way to fish them especially if they have a little weight in them. You can high stick and stack mend to get them deeper. If I was going through a run behind a bunch of guys fishing the articulated nasties and the traditional dainties, why not an egg pattern?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Haven't fished steelhead in 20 years or so, so take this with a grain of salt, and this is more of a fishing generality anyway...but my general approach with fisheries I am very familiar with, say south sound src for example, is to hit a bunch of my known spots (depending on conditions), but I always leave time to try to force myself to fish one new area per trip. Doesnt always work out this way but this results in fishing areas that I know are productive while also allowing me to add new spots to my arsenal. Sometimes the new spot I fish turns out to be a dud, but I've had enough pleasant surprises that resulted in new productive spots that it has definitely paid off in the long run.

Granted this is easier in a boat, but I think the principle still applies to fishing on foot. Doesn't hurt to dedicate an hour of your day to trying something new.

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
If it's prime time and competition for water is fierce quite often the herd mentality rules and the gang is racing each other to all the super sexy water. It can pay to fish the in-between, semi OK looking, wierd and goofy water alot of that stuff gets passed over in the race. Also think last mile first, first mile last, get on your am water at crack of dawn, take a mid day nap and fish till absolut dark on a good piece of water. Just some thoughts that have worked for me over the years.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
If it's prime time and competition for water is fierce quite often the herd mentality rules and the gang is racing each other to all the super sexy water. It can pay to fish the in-between, semi OK looking, wierd and goofy water alot of that stuff gets passed over in the race. Also think last mile first, first mile last, get on your am water at crack of dawn, take a mid day nap and fish till absolut dark on a good piece of water. Just some thoughts that have worked for me over the years.

Similar to what we used to do while fishing out of our raft. Take our time in the morning and let everyone race each other down the river for first water.
Put in and take our time fishing each area without a lot of others around. Right about the takeout we'd start encountering boats that had put in above us. A nice, unpressured and leisurely way to fish. Of course, there were more fish back then and more streams were open versus today.
SF

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Similar to what we used to do while fishing out of our raft. Take our time in the morning and let everyone race each other down the river for first water.
Put in and take our time fishing each area without a lot of others around. Right about the takeout we'd start encountering boats that had put in above us. A nice, unpressured and leisurely way to fish. Of course, there were more fish back then and more streams were open versus today.
SF
When I lived in Bend and fished the lower D all the time using a boat I did exactly as you describe, so much better for a whole variety of reasons.

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
I love this conversation, I could prattle on for hours about steelhead holding water/strategy, etc...

One other thing besides reading water(this really does separate the pimps from the wingmen) is color selection. If everything is equal the guy who knows how to match specific color combos to water color and clarity will get the tug. I always have the mindset when following other fisherman through a run(I very rarely do this voluntarily, I find solitude) is my size, shape, and color is better than yours. Of course, it's probably not, but I tell myself that to keep the hope alive.

There are just certain colors that fish respond to best when water conditions are a certain way. I know there are guys who say the fly doesn't matter, well I disagree....alot

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Egg patterns are legit to me, and I almost never see fly guys swinging them. If you don’t like beads then tie some. A floating line is a great way to fish them especially if they have a little weight in them. You can high stick and stack mend to get them deeper. If I was going through a run behind a bunch of guys fishing the articulated nasties and the traditional dainties, why not an egg pattern?
People do swing egg patterns, they call it a Klamath Intruder!

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Little pieces have been my jam when fishing pressured streams up North. At the time the runs were strong so fish were holding in any water suitable for holding. A man could find water across from the easy to wade and easy to anchor gravel bars that he guides would put their anglers on. Sometimes you need to look at the river a little different and find the smaller holding water.

I have not been fishing this winter. I have a big project going on. When I do go, I will not know the water well enough to have identified the little pieces that can make a day. Often it requires standing in the boat and looking down for the right stones. You then make a note when you float by and come back next time. Sometimes, you can stop the boat and walk back up. Some of the best little pieces can't be stopped for in time the first time.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
People do swing egg patterns, they call it a Klamath Intruder!
I just looked up this fly and it doesn’t look like an egg. A single egg looks perfectly round. In my opinion that perfect roundness with nothing dangling off of it is extremely important. This intruder does not do that. For what I am talking about I would rather tie some tiny yarnies.