2024 Lakes Opening Weekend!

Zak

Legend
My lake in Mill Creek was covered with boats. It was great to see a lot of kids catching fish. I saw an osprey catch a trout and then successfully make off with it while chased by two bald eagles.

I fished from the shore for about half an hour total spread over three sessions, when the wind was only strong, rather than ripping. I got three stocker trout, a small bass, and a pumpkin seed, all on the same size 16 red glass bead olive willy on an intermediate line. I fished the Iconoglass 5wt I bought from @Wetswinger , which makes small fish feel big.

My dog Rigby was very interested in my magic trick of pulling fish out of the water. Now he demands to go straight to the edge of the dock (he's leashed always in our unfenced yard) and stares into the lake waiting for another fish to levitate out of the water. I think he's going to be a good fishing buddy.
IMG_20240427_123518.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
My lake in Mill Creek was covered with boats. It was great to see a lot of kids catching fish. I saw an osprey catch a trout and then successfully make off with it while chased by two bald eagles.

I fished from the shore for about half an hour total spread over three sessions, when the wind was only strong, rather than ripping. I got three stocker trout, a small bass, and a pumpkin seed, all on the same size 16 red glass bead olive willy on an intermediate line. I fished the Iconoglass 5wt I bought from @Wetswinger , which makes small fish feel big.

My dog Rigby was very interested in my magic trick of pulling fish out of the water. Now he demands to straight to the edge of the dock (he's leashed always in our unfenced yard) and stares into the lake waiting for another fish to levitate out of the water. I think he's going to be a good fishing buddy.
View attachment 112232
That's a great shot. Rigby looks quite comfortable next to you.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
A day of watching baseball here on the Tundra. At times it rained so hard I had to turn the sound up on the TV. Tuesday will be opening day for me.
Yeah, weather (and kid sports) has kept me from fishing this weekend. I tossed a line from shore into one of my favorite bass lakes that opened, but it was mostly just ceremonial.

Hoping the sun pops out and lets me chase some fish later in the week.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I fished Cottage Lake in a leaky boat with a broken seat until my lead on my trolling motor broke. Fortuitous that it happens near the launch, given my lack of oar situation. My net makes a good enough paddle in a pinch.

I for some reason always forget that these trout are up in the water column early season. Started with the intermediate and type 5 and did alright, but I switched to floaters, picked up my speed and started whacking them pretty consistently.

The indicator bite which has proven deadly in the past really never manifested for me this trial run. Fish normally stack up in a few locations on the lake, but this time they were spread all o er, so the troll game was critical.

I did slow down and work an area at one point that I marked fish in deeper and managed back to back holdovers, one at 18” and the other at 15”. The 18” fish played over and stripped in fairly easily, but the 15” earned the reel a couple of times, best fighting fish I e ever experienced there.

In a side note, if you bass fish the lake, can I recommend a 12” long swim bait in rainbow trout colors? The second fish I hooked swam to the surface and a bass toilet bowl flushed it! Cool experience, albeit brief. The bass let go fairly quickly and the trout itself seemed relatively unscathed.

Typical stocker.
IMG_6580.jpeg