NFR 2024 Garden and Growing Things thread

Non-fishing related

RCF

Life of the Party
Power washers are great until they are not. Depending on the PSI it can actually damage stuff including concrete. A wider spray further away from the surface can help reduce the impact. No need to drill 2 inch holes.

We use 30 Seconds. Pre-spray with a pump sprayer, let it stand a couple of hours and then wash it off.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I scraped a bunch off my walk a few years ago with a flat edged shovel. It didn’t get it all, but took up the majority of it as it was pretty thick. Should have then hit it with the power wash but put moss killer in what remained. I need to do it again.
SF

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Anyone have a preferred method/product for removing moss and mildew on concrete? The north side of our home gets very low levels of light and stays damp long after rains. All of the paved surfaces, sidewalk, driveway, retaining wall, stairs, etc., have moss and/or green and black mildew. We do have a pressure washer but I'd like to clean more than a 2" stripe at a time.
I was going to say pressure washer until your last sentence 🤣

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A rotating nozzle strips moss faster than a fan tip, at least on my homeowner-grade electric pressure washers.

(Because a friend was moving to Florida and said, “Here, you can have this.” That's why I have two! Could you say no?)

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yesterday I was noticing that the crocuses were up and blooming and how nice and spring-like they looked. After I'd gone in the house and Mrs. Salmo came home, she reported a deer had walked through the flower beds and ate all but one of them! She had planted them there because they said, "deer resistant." We've planted so many things that allegedly were deer resistant, but our deer don't read. They eat 'em all. Every time. These deer don't eat daffodils, but that's about it.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Deer gotta eat too...
On non edibles this works, but have to reapply after each rain. After a bit, they seem to lose interest in the foliage, then after a bit, they regain their interest.
If there are neighbors with plants that don't use any type of deer spray, it works pretty damn good.
😁

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Planting plans are made. Limiting garden to stuff we normally use, instead of a random assortment of experiments.
Onions, potatoes, carrots, corn, zuchinni, pumkin, (less) tomatoes, buttercup squash (not butternut. Buttercup are my favorite).
Our one experiment will be watermelons. Granddaughter is obsessed with em.
Probably some herbs and greenbeans in smaller beds by the house.

Spring has a way of ruining those plans through snap buys and grander plans. We'll see.

Seeds, besides onions and potatoes going under lights starting this weekend. It's getting to be go time. Need to ammend beds with nutrients and compost.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Worked on expanding the blackberry patch yesterday. These are heirloom blackberries from my wife’s aunt in Gig Harbor. The first starts were from their garden and they are Olallie berries. I always thought that her aunt was pulling my leg, but read in an OSU bulletin about berries and they are an actual variety. They have been transplanted twice as we have bought and sold houses. They do better in cooler springs in the Tri-Cities where we live, but I typically get a gallon and a half from the patch that we have in our back yard. This year, I expanded the patch by nearly double, using starts from the existing canes that I leave on the ground as they grow over the summer. Rototilled the new bed thoroughly and added steer manure. Will build a trellis system for the new bed. The transplants seem happy, and I’m looking forward to more of my wife’s blackberry jam. I supplement with wild native blackberry picking in July on the west side. Those berries are reserved for pies….

IMG_3894.jpegIMG_3895.jpegIMG_3896.jpeg

RCF

Life of the Party
Dandelion makes a good salad. Even though many consider them a weed, it's leaves makes a good salad base product.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Dandelion makes a good salad. Even though many consider them a weed, it's leaves makes a good salad base product.
I picked a bunch of dandelion flowers a few years ago on Easter weekend to make wine. It was a lot of work to separate the green from the yellow parts. The wine is a bit sweet for my liking, almost like a mead. The best part of the process was finding a bunch of un-found Easter eggs in the field I was harvesting from 😁

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter

Semi-Cascade Style, Han-Kengai.... Working on my Jason Momoa promotional popcorn-bucket bansai today. That bucket has styrofoam in it up until basically the pec line, plus a bunch of drainage holes, obviously. We get so many little maple seed starts in the yard that dumb stuff like this can turn out pretty fun. Plus when I get bored with it, it goes out on the front step with a free sign and this thing is guaranteed gone in 10 minutes...

1711929047841.png