NFR 2022 Baseball Thread

Non-fishing related

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don’t like the shift but if hitters can’t hit the other way that is how you defend against them. Been that way ever since little league. I think teams should be able to defend a hitter anyway they want to.

If you are a pitcher that can’t hit worth a damn, don’t worry we will let someone hit for you. If you are hitter that can’t go the other way, that’s ok we won’t let them shift the defense to take away your easy base hit. Baseball is going backwards. Sort of like everyone gets a ribbon.
This

Doublebluff

As sure as your sorrows are joys
Forum Supporter
I get what you are saying, but with regards to the shift, I don't agree. Many of the best hitters in baseball have trouble going the other way, and this has been true since the dawn of the game. Almost all hitters have power alleys. It is hard to hit a baseball and it is really hard to spray baseballs all over the field. What has changed are the analytics which allow precision in the placement of individuals to take away hitter strengths. What the shift has forced to happen is the elimination of the value of a single. It has taken away some of the speed aspects of the game- now it is all about bat angles and non-hustle doubles and home runs. I think removing the pre-pitch shift will add speed and movement back in the game. Once the pitch is thrown a player can move wherever he wants to.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Meh

Some guys can't hit a curve, analytics says throw curves in the dirt and watch 'em wiff at 'em...
Been that way forever.
If they can't beat the shift, the let 'em ground out.
:)

kerrys

Ignored Member
The game is changing as we watch and has been since its beginnings. I’ll use Kyle Seager as today’s example. Seager couldn’t hit the other way. Everyone knew it and every team shifted their defense when he came up. Seager attempted to hit the other way but couldn’t so he tried to hit more home runs which he did but it wasn’t enough to sustain his career and salary. His replacement, Eugenio Suarez, has better power numbers and sometimes goes the other way. We will see.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Well, there goes another bit of charm from the game

... and to think that other teams will not try to intercept the call (looking at you, NY Yankees) seems a little naive.

cheers

patrick1

Smolt
Well, there goes another bit of charm from the game

... and to think that other teams will not try to intercept the call (looking at you, NY Yankees) seems a little naive.

cheers
I like this Greinke news better

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My dad put $100 on the Mariners to make the world series. I think he said 20/1 odds.

Good luck!

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I know people that have been making that bet for the last twenty plus years. If it doesn’t happen soon they won’t be able to make their money back.
I think the line about 2007 was... There is no line we feel guilty taking your money.

cody-

Steelhead
Baseball can't get here fast enough. I miss unwinding in the evening with a baseball game on in the background.
Are you not enjoying the college baseball drama? 🍊😜

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Is it true that extra innings will start with a runner on 2nd base?

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
They are thinking about it for next year, sure hope it doesn't happen.

No cheers if it does

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
F'n whiner

Better be careful since there are multiple allegations against his team

ny-document-investigation-yankees-cheating-unseal-20220321-7pt37iur45hibecj46tpxrgwqq-story.html

kerrys

Ignored Member
Did anyone else see JULIOOOs Inside the Park Homerun.

Yeah, I saw it. Kid can run. He didn’t kick it into high until he was half way to second.

Another thing about last night’s game…evening baseball. Had to get the TV tray out along with the vice and some hooks, feathers and stuff to tie flies. I love tying flies while watching baseball.

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
The moment Julio got the call up to the bigs. Pretty cool.

Listened to the Royals - Mariners game the other day - this kid is gonna be a star, much like Bobby Witt Jr., has all the tools.

Cheers