NFR 2022 Baseball Thread

Non-fishing related

patrick1

Smolt
Kind of surprised there are so many anti-DH guys in here, but I am an AL fan myself. Pitchers bat as poorly as a DHs field, not a quality baseball experience.

As for banning the shift, screw that. Guys are selling out for launch angle and home runs because of baseball math. Counter argument to that is I guess if pitchers don't have to hit because they stink then guys who are bad at going the other way should be treated just as delicately, though I really hate that idea.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The designated hitter is an abomination! It is a cheap ploy on the part of MLB to gain the attention of border line fans with a need for constant stimulation. It sure is good for old guys though that can no longer run or field, they can hang around for years keeping some young guy on the bench or in the minors. Since they are willing to bastardize the game by using 10 players lets even it up by having a designated pitcher. Have 2 pitchers active instead of just one, a left hander and a right hander. When ever a lefty comes to the plate bring in the lefty to face him and let him leave when the right handed batter comes up. Sound silly? Of course but so does the DH. Pitchers can certainly hit if trained from the get go to use the bat. Currently they aren't even allowed to hit from college on so of course they have little skill.

Batters hit by pitch have increased dramatically in recent years and I'm thinking part of that increase is due to the fact that pitchers no longer go to bat. There is little fear of retribution if you are sitting on the bench while Moose bats in your stead. The guy throwing a 102 mph fast ball at your head should have to bat.

And while we are trying to dilute sports by making them more appealing to impatient fans, let's add a 12th man to the defensive team in football to protect the precious quarterbacks. That should result in more touchdowns and higher scores while appeasing the crowd that can't appreciate a good defensive struggle.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
I don't often find myself agreeing with Ive...well like ever.
JSDFwlvf_o.gif

But when it comes to baseball, I share his perspective.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
The designated hitter is an abomination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything after this is essentially redundant (no offense to your arguments Ive, completely agree with all!!)

cheers

cody-

Steelhead
The designated hitter is an abomination! It is a cheap ploy on the part of MLB to gain the attention of border line fans with a need for constant stimulation. It sure is good for old guys though that can no longer run or field, they can hang around for years keeping some young guy on the bench or in the minors. Since they are willing to bastardize the game by using 10 players lets even it up by having a designated pitcher. Have 2 pitchers active instead of just one, a left hander and a right hander. When ever a lefty comes to the plate bring in the lefty to face him and let him leave when the right handed batter comes up. Sound silly? Of course but so does the DH. Pitchers can certainly hit if trained from the get go to use the bat. Currently they aren't even allowed to hit from college on so of course they have little skill.

Batters hit by pitch have increased dramatically in recent years and I'm thinking part of that increase is due to the fact that pitchers no longer go to bat. There is little fear of retribution if you are sitting on the bench while Moose bats in your stead. The guy throwing a 102 mph fast ball at your head should have to bat.

And while we are trying to dilute sports by making them more appealing to impatient fans, let's add a 12th man to the defensive team in football to protect the precious quarterbacks. That should result in more touchdowns and higher scores while appeasing the crowd that can't appreciate a good defensive struggle.
Add a designated fielder near the mound as well, so the precious fragile pitchers can throw from behind a batting practice net and duck behind it after each pitch.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Baseball has become stale and antiquated.

Thou, i will still give them some of my time and watch the league championships and world series.

They could fix all their flaws, but greed, their love of money and fame won't ever allow the league to return to its glory days.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
If baseball is worried about a pitcher hitting rather than a DH to replace the pitcher have the second baseman pitch for that one batter. Probably have some pretty good hitting pitchers.

MGM

“Just glad to be here”
Forum Supporter
When I was young I loved playing baseball, but to sit and watch bores the shit out of me. I’m really disappointed that the season is on hold though and I’m hoping they can work that out soon. I love to see full stadiums, makes me smile on my way to the river knowing there will be that many less people there that I will have to contend with.

kmudgn

Steelhead
I am a long time Baseball fan. I played all through school including American Legion ball and varsity ball in college. I always knew that I was never pro material, but still loved playing and watching the game (I can still actually score a game). Now, I play in an old farts softball league where the score is less important than the beer. It works out well as the games are on weekends so it does not interfere with my fishing as I NEVER fish on weekends anymore.

That being said, I am getting to the point of "who cares" about MLB. I have accommodated myself to the DH foolishness, but cannot abide the present state of MLB. The players are simply whining aholes and the owners are greedy aholes. The fan "experience" is awful and the $ 10 hotdogs are terrible. I have not been to a MLB stadium in years, but regularly go to my local AA team. Those players at least show some desire to actually play and seem to enjoy the game. So, if time has passed for the "National Pastime" I will be sad, but not heartbroken. I am sure there will be some leagues that will develop and that will be enough for me.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
It looks like there will be baseball again this season. They settled their lock out today.