2-Piece Rods

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Why does everyone shun 2-piece rods anymore.? I'm a big fan. The less I have to f*** around with extra ferrules the better. I keep all my 4-piece rods connected in 2 sections. I don't buy the convenience excuse. You can't place a 4ft tube in your trunk.? You need another car.! LOL...But really, they sure cast nicer with only 1 ferrule. I just ordered a 2-piece, Im6 4# to build for my own personal rod. It felt like robbery. Most the blank manufacturers, 2-piece offerings are greatly reduced in price. Would any of you ever buy one.?...

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Yes, I’d buy a two piece rod for local use. I still have some I use.
I’d also buy a one piece rod for local use.
I actually wish more companies made one piece rods.
SF

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I'm a big fan of two piece rods as well. Since I don't fly anywhere it's not a hinderence at all. My rods almost never get broken down and put away completely. Most live in my boat rod lockers or in reel on rod cases where they are broke down in two pieces either way anyway.

I dont mind 4 piece one bit, it's the 3 and 5 piece rods I can't friggen stand.

My Hardy Zenith 1 piece is, to this day, one of my favorite all time rods

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Ex industry insider tip:

Main reason for 4pc popularity isn't necessarily for ease of travel, it's for ease of shipping. Fly rods aren't purchased in the same kind of bulk as gear rods so packaging that isn't as long makes it much more economical.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Why does everyone shun 2-piece rods anymore.? I'm a big fan. The less I have to f*** around with extra ferrules the better. I keep all my 4-piece rods connected in 2 sections. I don't buy the convenience excuse. You can't place a 4ft tube in your trunk.? You need another car.! LOL...But really, they sure cast nicer with only 1 ferrule. I just ordered a 2-piece, Im6 4# to build for my own personal rod. It felt like robbery. Most the blank manufacturers, 2-piece offerings are greatly reduced in price. Would any of you ever buy one.?...
Except for the rods I've bought from you, most of my rods are 2-piece rods.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
2 piece rods are fine with me. Still own many, and they get regular use. Travel considerations aside, I see no real advantage to 4 piece rods for myself. My 3 piece rods are in 10 and 11 wt sizes or Spey rods, and really don't mind them either...guess I am just easy to please, or not picky enough.
:)

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
I don't have a problem with 2 piece rods. I bought one in the last few months and own a few of them. All of mine are graphite.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
A friend of mine prefers 2 piece rods because he thinks they’re more durable. He’s probably right because the 90’s technology rods are heavier because the walls are thicker. A 9 1/2 foot two piece is tough to fit in a Toyota Tacoma.
Even now, 2pc rods are lighter than the same rod in 4pc. Ferrules add weight and are essentially "dead spots" in the action. Not as bad as they were in the 90s, but still very noticeable if you do a side-by-side comparison.

RCF

Life of the Party
All but 2 of my rods are 2 piece. Back in the day 2 piece rods were the standard or only option available. Try to find a 4 piece Loomis IM6 rod. Rare but they are out there - I have 2...

I have cast a 5# in 2 and 4 piece configuration side by side. There is a difference, not a lot but enough, ---> I like the 2 piece better. It just feels better casting, sensitivity and playing fish.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I have two three and four piece rods. All of them are among the nicest casting rods on the planet. I am a big fan of four piece rods because yes they are easier to travel with.
When I go to Montana I take 4 rods, two 2pc rods and 2 4pc rods and a car packed with fishing and camping gear the 4 pc rods are infinitely easier to pack. So much so that I often thinking of replacing the two piece rods with significantly lower performance 4 piece rods. I don't need a new car.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Much like the newer and more modern patterns designed to catch more fisherman (that the older fly patterns have been replaced by)...the fish appear decidedly indifferent to the number of pieces a rod contains, or the amount of stickers on a boat.
I hear they are impressed by your Instagram follower numbers however, which may explain my lunchtime skunk yesterday, as I have zero.
:)

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Except for the rods I've bought from you, most of my rods are 2-piece rods.
I haven't made many 2-piece rods because I didn't think anyone would buy them. The blanks are 40% less expensive than the 4-piece. No. Fork Composites has an 8ft, 3#, 2- piece on sale for $39.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I haven't made many 2-piece rods because I didn't think anyone would buy them. The blanks are 40% less expensive than the 4-piece. No. Fork Composites has an 8ft, 3#, 2- piece on sale for $39.
I really like the 5wt Iconoglass I bought from you! I haven't had a chance to fish the 3wt yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I fish some 2 piece Loomis babys I’ve had for a bit.
Graphite sticks
Is there a ferrule maintenance protocol?
I just put them together and take them apart
I’m serious