‘China Cat’ Rez

IMG_4143.jpeg
In 2020 entomologist J.H. Epler named a new species of diving beetle (family Dytiscidae) for the song; it is called Uvarus sinofelihelianthus. The specific epithet can be interpreted as (sino) China (feli) cat (helianthus) sunflower.[5]

About 35 years ago I dropped out over a redhead and bought a Sage in Tigard. I said I was going to the desert so the guy threw in 2 small red leaches, which I considered a bit stingy.

Its always been too windy, or too hot, or too cold, or too dry, or too weedy, or too far, or on the way to somewhere else. I’ve fished it, but the campground is sort of homely. I got too drunk there once or twice.

IMG_4071.jpegIMG_4076.jpegIMG_4082.jpegIMG_4099.jpegIMG_4111.jpeg
But, now, it’s just too good to fish again today. The day was very good but evening was crazy. This place supposedly was dry two years ago. I think the jolly ranchers are feeding them hay. Doesn’t happen very often but sometimes you just have to move on. Maybe I’ll stop back in for evening.

If you start driving now you can get there tonight on a tank or two. Lots of room. Worth the trip.

I rang a silent bell, beneath a shower of pearls
In the eagle-winged palace of the queen chinee
China cat, china cat
China cat, china cat
China cat, china cat

Attachments

• IMG_4142.jpeg
    IMG_4142.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 50

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Kudos to Jeff Perin in Sisters for the excellent report. (For all of the excellent reports, actually.) I need a new hat, and boots soon.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Nice to see it come back to life. Cool looking fly.

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
IMG_4162.jpeg

China Cat II

Somewhere out on the backside of this range there is said to be a small basin with a disputed population of nearly-pure Alvord cutthroat that might have been bucketed up by cavalry troops in the year the Civil War ended. Extinct everywhere else. There is also a hot spring.

I’ve got a long version of it, including Puccini in the Honeycombs, the future imperfect momentary tense, love in the time of covid, the Paiutes, ancient tools, a fly called Canyon Arrow, and a small pond in an aspen grove, but the gist of it all is that I’ll have to go back when things dry out, chase some more ghosts, and bring along My Lady this time. It’s all about the moments, and they’re all perfect.

Divad

Whitefish
Nice healthy fat bow, great colors.

What’s the China Cat thing about? China Cat Rez doesn’t exactly bring any results on the interwebs so if it’s a rename for disguising, well done 🙂

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Secret Hunter name of highway reservoir near Burns, which really doesn’t need much protection, but it’s more fun this way. Burns is gonna be huge if the fishing stays this good. We should name more towns for poets.

Edit:
I forgot another acknowledgement. A young guy with a thick braid down to his belt was working the pump in Hines. “Not self service?” “The other guys in town are, but we’re still doing it the old way.” I went in and bought a gallon of water and some Fritos for $8.

At the Rimrock Rockshelter site near Riley they found a scraper with some paleo-bison dna that might be 18,000 years old. As context, Europe in that period has been called L’age du Renne, the age of reindeer, and blond hair had not yet appeared on human heads.

Self-service is not the way of the Great Basin.

Last edited:

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Hope you keep the thread going with the mysterious names and descriptions, after living down there for 20 years and now back up in PS I feel lucky to have been able to explore the Great Basin and OR outback at length, amazing country. Almost went down last week to that big escarpment a little further southeast but couldn't string enough days together. Settled for a couple days on the central WA River and hit a nice caddis hatch which was a nice consolation. Gotta make it back soon, maybe the fall when the Aspens turn.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
My Uncle Bob was born in Klamath Falls; he had a coffeetable book about that big escarpment. I loved that book and Uncle Bob's stories about the 'mountain'. Heard a story about a mountain lion eating a caddis fly cast onto one of the creeks coming off it. Great story.

Back to your pictures @Hoofer; some serious GIRTH!

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My Uncle Bob was born in Klamath Falls; he had a coffeetable book about that big escarpment. I loved that book and Uncle Bob's stories about the 'mountain'. Heard a story about a mountain lion eating a caddis fly cast onto one of the creeks coming off it. Great story.

Back to your pictures @Hoofer; some serious GIRTH!
Klamath seems like a whole parallel universe, photon-streams-crossed, black hole portal. I’m not ready for the big lake.

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Heard a story about a mountain lion eating a caddis fly cast onto one of the creeks coming off it.

I’m going need to meditate on that one a little bit.