Search results

1. R

Snow Shred Season 23/24

Looks like you were using tele skis. Did you have to skin up and was the snow heavy? I use to tele ski the slopes below panorama pt. and the west side of Mazama ridge every winter. Roger
  2. R

The Fly Fisher in Olympia Is No More

Bjorn's dad(George) opened the fly shop in the mid 1970's. When his dad retired, Bjorn took the shop over. He took it to a whole new level. He helped me out with fly tying technics and fly fishing equipment. He was a dealer for Gary La Ffontaine rods and the Stealth rod IMHO is one of best...
  3. R

Puget Sound

Here is a photo and write-up of the above amphipod pattern which is on page 135 of Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon II By Les Johnson and Bruce Ferguson. Roger
  4. IMG_0095[1].JPG

IMG_0095[1].JPG

5. R

Puget Sound

IMHO you are seeing resident coho feeding on amphipods. Resident coho in the northern part of marine area 13 often can be feeding on the water surface as they eat these amphipods in the winter and early spring. However, I have occasionally seen resident coho feeding on amphipods in the...
  6. R

The “Purdiest” trout…

The picture shows a 23 1/2 inch(measured) approximately 4 to 4 1/2 lb. sea-run cutthroat which I landed Oct. 2008 on a top water skater sand lance pattern. The fish strike the fly like a toilet flush and took off into tidal current. It was well into the backing onto the reel within 1 0 to 15...
  7. photo-5.jpg

photo-5.jpg

8. photo-2.jpg

photo-2.jpg

9. R

Snow Shred Season 23/24

Skinned up my telemark skis many year ago and made some turns on the west side of Mazama Ridge opposite the Paradise parking lot on Mt. Rainer. That slope and the bowl on the east side of the ridge often had great powder snow. Was up there often every winter. Roger
  10. IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

11. R

Puget Sound

Hot spotting? Are you okay :) Roger
  12. R

Fly Fishing Puget Sound

Using a top water pattern where shell fish nets are on the bottom will allow you to fish over these nets and not hook them. I have had excellent success fishing for sea-run cutthroat with top water patterns where bottom nets are present. Usually the nets are in water that is 6 to 8 feet in...
  13. R

Puget Sound

I have fished that beach across from the abandoned golf coarse many times from my boat for resident and adult coho, sea-run cutthroat, and chum. The sea-run cutthroat fishing is excellent when the chum are staging along that shoreline about 100 yards below you in water that is 8 feet or less...
  14. R

What's in your vise?

Great looking fly! It should fish as well and have a 40 to 60% hook up ratio like my T.W. Sand Shrimp pattern. It is my go to pattern when fishing top water flies for sea-run cutthroat. It only takes a couple of minutes to tie the pattern. The flat bottom foam head will allow the pattern...
  15. R

Fly Fishing Puget Sound

great video! I recognize some of your fishing locations. I talk to Kelly Cunningham sometimes and he says that you and his daughter will be getting married next year. Congrats! It sounds like your fly fishing business is doing well. Miss not seeing you stopping by Kelly's house across the...
  16. R

East Truckee

In the late 1960's to early 1970's I lived in Reno while attending The University of Nevada. During those years I had excellent fly fishing on the Truckee River in Nevada in the evening from mid-summer through early fall particularly when there was no wind . The may fly and caddis hatches were...
  17. R

Puget Sound

Thanks for your concerns! I am an "old Fud" who will be 87 years old the end of Oct. and am still above ground. Actually I am going to be cremated and have my ashes spread on a meadow on mazama ridge near Paradise on Mt. Rainer to nourish some wild flowers. I have not been fishing on Puget...
  18. R

Puget Sound

Delia Squid was designed by Jeff Delia who is an expert sea-run cutthroat fly fisher. H e has landed many + 20 inch fish on this pattern and is his go to sea-run cutthroat fly. I have modified his pattern to be a tube top water fly. I call the pattern T.W.(top water) sand shrimp. Sand...
  19. R

Puget Sound

Thanks for the compliment! In the past I have had a 40 to 60% hookup ratio if a sea run cutthroat attempt to strike this pattern. I have landed many fish in the 20 inch range. I fish top water patterns over 90% of the time and it is my go to top water pattern. In the near future I will post...
  20. R

A 7wt to do it all?

I have a Echo ION XL 9' 6wt. that I use on Puget Sound to fish for coho salmon and sea-run cutthroat. I am a pretty good caster under favorable wind conditions and can sometimes cast plus or minus 100 feet of line. All I can say is it a cannon for casting a lot of line with 2 false casts while...