Search results

1. Mike Monsos

Martha Marie gets a work out.

A friend and I hit a small lake north of Snoqualmie for a few hours on Friday. The wind was shifting when we got there, and the water temp was 50 at the surface. There was a bit of a bite to the air, so a coat was necessary even in the sunshine. No hatches to see and no shucks on the surface...
  2. Mike Monsos

My latest rod

I am just about finished up on a new rod of my own taper. It is a copy of the taper that I shared at the Fling last year. A good friend decided he wanted a copy. We'll cast it soon to see if I hit the marks and made a replica of the taper he cast to meet his expectations.
  3. Mike Monsos

Local retailer for YLI Silk thread?

I'm looking for a local store to pick up a spool of YLI 256. My usual stop got replaced with a skyscraper in Bellevue. I know I can order it from the internet but the shipping is more than the spool of thread. Thanks
  4. Mike Monsos

Now this looks like a fun way to cover a larger lake.

I saw this today and it caught my attention. Amazing looking little powered raft type of boat.
  5. Mike Monsos

Time to reset the forms

Now that the winter weather has set in it's time to set up the forms and start plaining some bamboo strips. I'm making myself an untested taper based on a rod I designed for a dear friend and fishing partner. I'm also planning on using an old school glue I have on hand, "Weldwood Resorcinol"...
  6. Mike Monsos

Next up, Martha Marie

It's always hard to sleep after a glue up anticipating pulling the string off a set of shafts in the morning. And last night was no exception. This morning bright and early I got to bring the glued and bound up shafts out of the drying box. After removing the binding string, I got to sight...
  7. Mike Monsos

Latest rod just completed and on to its new adventure

A nice flamed modified Para 14 taper, 7'9" 2/1 5wt. A real pleasure to cast and I am very proud of the finished rod. The new owner is very happy with what I hope will become his new favorite flyrod and fishing companion,
  8. Mike Monsos

Guide suggestions for a Bonefish outing on the flats at Florida Keys?

So, we are planning a road trip from the Floriday Keys up the coast to Washington DC this spring. We have a few days at the start of the trip at Key West to get acclimated, :) and I'd like to book a trip fishing the flats with my brother in-law for bonefish. Neither of us have fished the salt...
  9. Mike Monsos

Latest addition to the family

I just finished up a 7' 2/1 4wt. It's somewhat fast in action for a bamboo rod and capable of easily placing a fly 50' on target. The taper was a Wayne Cattanach creation that Daryl Hayashida modified a bit and named it "Sir D". It's really a fun rod to cast. It was the first taper that I...