Search results

1. speedbird

Dog Bite On Waders

First off, I am not using this forum for medical advice and am contacting a doctor tomorrow morning. I was hiking to a river today when someones unleashed little shiteating dog entirely unprovoked jumped up and snapped its jaws on my knee. I stupidly did not get information from the owner...
  2. speedbird

Bizarre Elongated Fins on Rainbow Trout

Check out this post. Those fins almost resemble those of an arctic grayling! I wonder if the mutation that produced these is what eventually created arctic grayling. I also wonder if one day in the distant future this mutation will be more prevalent
  3. speedbird

Non-Fly Strait/Sound Halibut

Did my first Halibut trip of the year, the weather forecast proved inaccurate. Forecasted wind 10 kts to SE and wind waves less than 1 feet. The reality was waves exceeding 3-4 feet in height. Hugging the shoreline when possible improved the ride, although I learned the hard way that double...
  4. speedbird

FS/T Like New Shimano Tekota 300LC with 50lb braid: $160 or a Shimano Tekota 400LC in equal condition

I picked up this reel to use for jigging, mooching, and trolling flashers. Love it for jigging, mooching, and pulling plugs around but the double paddle handle just makes bringing in a flasher so much of a pain. Looking to swap to a 400 model, pics available once I'm back at my folks place end...
  5. speedbird

A small observation about fishing

We often consider ourselves to be the most intelligent animals on earth. We have one of the largest brain to body ratios of any animal that exist, and we have left the largest impact of any to walk the earth as well. And yet; we devote hours, months, years of our time, just to figure out how to...
  6. speedbird

Basic Survival Skills for a Flyfisherman Just Learning to Swim

Yeah it probably wasn't wise to make 90% of my hobby's involve water in some way or another if I don't know how to swim. I'm taking swimming lessons next quarter because it probably isn't wise to wade into powerful rivers and have no way to survive if something goes wrong. Since the vast...
  7. speedbird

Understanding what’s in my fly box

I find it a little funny that I have never tried the bread and butter of fly fishing, which is resident trout. I’m quite fascinated with how much detail you can go into with fly selection and hatch matching, and I definitely want to start tying resident flies as well. I have a decent sized box...
  8. speedbird

Saltwater Olympic Peninsula Cutthroat

I've heard murmurs and rumors about this fishery, Doug Rose briefly mentions it in one of his books and I have seen it mentioned on the national park website. But I do wonder- how would you fish for cutty in the ocean? Would it just be like fishing for surf perch but with different fly patterns...
  9. speedbird

Non-Fly Favorite Saltwater Salmon Hooks

What kind of hooks do you guys like to run? I have become very partial to Owner hooks. For whatever reason I seem to loose less fish with Owner hooks than Gamakatsu‘s, even though Gamakatsu hooks generally serve me well. I like to run smaller hooks than most guys in the salt because nothing...
  10. speedbird

Non-Fly Freshwater Coho Salmon Lures for Beginners

I’m giving my friend a late Christmas gift a fishing rod, an 8’6 Celilo. I’m getting her started off with a small tackle box, 2 dick nites, 2 1/4oz jig heads with some pink mini squids, two 1/2oz hoochie jigs, and two rotators. The idea being that she should be able to hit any beach or river...
  11. speedbird

What’s Going on at Reiter Ponds

What’s going on here? Has the broodstock experiment failed this badly? The last 4 years have had poor returns for sure, but at least some fish consistently returned to that hatchery. Has the switch to broodstock fish just delayed the run timing? 0 Reiter ponds stock at Christmas time is...
  12. speedbird

Preserving Smoked Salmon Outside the Freezer

A lot of hot smoked salmon for sale is kept completely refrigerated and unfrozen, and sold as long lasting until you break the seal. I am traveling overseas this week and my dad mentioned wanting to give some smoked salmon to a family friend. I suggested giving ours but we aren't sure how to...
  13. speedbird

Weighted Wire for salmon flies

I've started tying a bunch of flies for the upcoming salmon freshwater season. At the moment I have a decent variety of beads ranging from 3-5mm, in nickel, brass, and plastic. I realize every run is different and then the only way to figure out what I need is to fish my flies more, but Is...
  14. speedbird

Questions: Sinking Lines for deeper water Puget Sound Coho from the Boat

I’m looking to spool up my 6 weight and my 8 weight with a Type 7 sinker, and target Puget Sound coho in the tide rips in deeper water. Puget Sound is always a fishery where we want to cast as far as we can, and having a shooting head line is helping me with that tremendously. That said...
  15. speedbird

Non-Fly Reel for Puget Sound Boats and Rivers

I have a close friend who I got into fishing, and this year for the first time we ended up hooking into fish together. I took her out on the boat twice, the first time she hooked into a gorgeous high teens hatchery Chinook, and landed it despite never having hooked anything but a stocker Rainbow...
  16. speedbird

Thread

I am planning to finally start tying my own flies this winter. So far I have been learning clouser minnows, and keeping it simple with white #140 thread. I am trying to branch out into more patterns, BC style coho flies and some of the spawn fly fish salmon patterns as well. The problem is every...
  17. speedbird

Repairing Large crack in SA Infinity fly line

Wrapped my tippet around this in a bad cast, and somehow cut it trying to undo the knot. Is she done for? Would hate to need a new fly line when I’ve yet to hook a fish with this one!
  18. speedbird

Learning fly selection

My biggest weakness when it comes to fly fishing is definitely fly selection. I like saltwater because it’s kinda easy: Look at the water around you, pick some baitfish looking patterns, try some top water stuff, doesn’t seem hard to mess up. Freshwater is a little daunting though. There are...
  19. speedbird

Fishing after a major internal clot

I’ve ended up hospitalized with a pulmonary embolism. Doctors suspect long term damage to the right side of my heart as a result. There’s a high chance I will be on blood thinners for the rest of my life. I have no idea how much of my stamina I will get back and how quickly I’ll get it back. I’m...
  20. speedbird

Why do you fly fish?

Fly fishing can be very effective despite what many gear anglers say, but I don't think anyone kids themselves and pretends it is the best way to catch the most and the biggest fish. I first picked up a fly rod because I started chasing Sea Run Cutthroat at my local beach with an ugly stik, Blue...