Search results

1. jaredoconnor

Bad outing for FlyFish Dan

Pretty sure he had a rod vault on his Jeep. It might be gone now. I unsubscribed a while ago, because he started posting too much click bait.
  2. jaredoconnor

Bad outing for FlyFish Dan

Reel seats have separated multiple times in his videos. My theory is that it is caused by his rod vault, building up heat under the sun.
  3. jaredoconnor

Bizarre Elongated Fins on Rainbow Trout

Bro was trying to evolve his way back to land but just ended up with some weird ass fins.
  4. jaredoconnor

Garmin Striker Cast

Took it out for the first time. Second time ever fly fishing a lake with a float tube. Caught three fish. They were all in the vicinity of where the finder showed a bunch of fish, so I guess it works. Pretty happy with it. I connected the leash to one of the D loops, on the side of my float...
  5. jaredoconnor

Garmin Striker Cast

An impulse purchase may have just occurred. 🚀
  6. jaredoconnor

Garmin Striker Cast

Does anyone have experience with these? They seem like a neat solution, for folks in float tubes. I think I researched these before, but I can’t remember what the outcome was. I have newborn induced sleep deprivation and memory loss. https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/665274
  7. jaredoconnor

SOLD 6wt Airflo Streamer Max Long

$60 Used once Post at buyers expense or pick up in the Sammamish area PayPal or Venmo only
  8. jaredoconnor

Rain Jacket

I recommend everyone has a soft shell and a hard shell. Personally, I have a Black Diamond Dawn Patrol and an OR Foray. Modern soft shells are so good that I rarely wear the hard shell, but when you need it… you need it.
  9. jaredoconnor

SFR Anyone shoot video? I want to learn.

@Jake Watrous, did you end up getting into videography? If so, what were some resources that you found useful? Currently sitting in the hospital, after the arrival of baby #2. I’ve taken great photos, but I’m thinking family videos are something I should probably get into. I tried a few times...
  10. jaredoconnor

Rod differences

It is often worth paying more for novel or niche fly rods, because that’s an area where the extra R&D cost actually has an impact. I don’t believe it is worth paying premium prices for common rods, such as a 9ft 5wt trout rod. Such rods have not meaningfully improved in performance in over a...
  11. jaredoconnor

Personal Protection

What would you consider to be the minimum yearly commitment?
  12. jaredoconnor

Personal Protection

It would seem that I need to clarify my post. I intend to use bear spray, for protection from wildlife. There is absolutely no chance I would ever be good enough at shooting to hit a cougar. I would only purchase a firearm for protection against animals that have their own firearms. I would have...
  13. jaredoconnor

Personal Protection

The cougar attack thread got me thinking about an important topic. My home is in bear and cougar country. I've never seen a cougar, but bears are found roaming the streets about a dozen times each year. More importantly, all the paved walking trails run along side a forest and I'm sure there's...
  14. jaredoconnor

Comment by 'jaredoconnor' in article 'Introducing the Center Lock Strike Indicator from Rajeff Sports'

The design is a significant improvement over Oros, but I wish they had an extra small size like Oros do.
  15. jaredoconnor

Book recommendations?

Orvis Guide to Prospecting Anything by Devin Olsen
  16. jaredoconnor

Tightline/ESN Rod suggestions please

Stiffer and lighter rods are more sensitive than softer and heavier rods, because more of the vibrations reach your hand instead of being dampened by the blank. Typically, you will lose some strength as a result. Some folks put their index finger on the blank. Supposedly, the cork dampens...
  17. jaredoconnor

Tightline/ESN Rod suggestions please

I’ve only used 3wt euro rods, so I can’t comment on the higher line weights. The Cortland 10ft 6in 3wt that I had was noticeably stronger in the butt than my Carbon XL. However, the tip was a bit softer. That made it great for tight line techniques, but it didn’t like casting a fly line heavier...
  18. jaredoconnor

Favorite House Brand Hooks

I used J Stockard hooks, in the past. They are quite good value. That said, I feel like high quality hooks are worth spending money on. I have very little time for fishing and even less time for tying flies, so a failed hook isn’t worth the hassle.
  19. jaredoconnor

2024 Fishing Aspirations

My hope for 2024 is to go fishing at least once. 🙃
  20. jaredoconnor

Affordable Saltwater Reels

Danielsson make good reels. They are largely designed for Scandinavian "sea trout" fishing, which is basically the same thing as anything you'll do around Puget Sound.