What's in your vise?

Zak

Legend
Thanks that's what I figured, but I didn't want to waste all the effort to find out myself:D It wouldbe nice to utilize the fur somehow but that's a big project. I have contact with a slingshot hunter in Alaska that's been busting a lot of bunnies lately, maybe I should ask him to mail me the feet!
I bet the bottom fur from regular rabbit feet would make a great base for a custom dubbing blend!

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I bet the bottom fur from regular rabbit feet would make a great base for a custom dubbing blend!
We have one red 'rusty' colored female breeder that has amazing natural colored fur. It must be a recessive gene because we have yet to get any offspring that color. White + white = white, otherwise the rest are gray or black. As soon as I get some red babies I'll have some awsome rusty opossum substitute dubbing.

Reactions: Zak

kmudgn

Steelhead
I was looking at the materials for Fran Betters 'Usual' and it lists snowshoe hare fur from between the toes for its water shedding ability. I'm wondering is it the same for all rabbits? I get a bucket full of rabbit feet every time I butcher rabbits, maybe I shouldn't toss them? Anyone tie them with whatever rabbit they can aquire?View attachment 53638
The Usual is a really good fly. If you tie, yie using threads in orange, chartruse, and black. Salmon can sometime be finickly and will take one color over another. Also, they are a good fly to use if Vitreous are hatching

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Sunset-1080.jpg

Sunset

Winged Wet Fly

Body - Yellow wool
Hackle - Yellow
Wing - White

Trout - Ray Bergman
Forgotten Flies - Schmookler and Sils

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Walla-Walla-1080.jpg

Walla-Walla

Winged Wet Fly

Tag - Gold tinsel
Body - Yellow wool
Hackle - Brown
Wing - Cinnamon

Trout - Ray Bergman
Forgotten Flies - Schmookler and Sils

*In Forgotten Flies this pattern is listed as "Walker-Walla" one of the many editorial errors in the book

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
A couple of ties on Daiichi AJ 2050 size 7
CFBE5119-FA00-4598-8F05-1625BFFC363F.jpeg
CB767A6F-726D-4E85-A396-1D48EBE89781.jpeg
Inspired by trout that eat swung flies, and a couple new capes. Herbert Miner hen cape medium ginger - collar on the first fly, wing on the second. Coq de Leon hen ginger speckled soft hackle with chickabou - Palmer hackle on both. I should strip one side…DEE2376A-EECC-4F1B-A0B4-90DDACF24412.jpeg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The Pat's Rubber Legs was the only winner yesterday. Doesn't surprise me, it's Skwala time. Coffee/Black in 6, 8 and 10, 3xl.20230212_115630.jpg

Attachments

• 20230212_123029.jpg
    20230212_123029.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230211_patstrout.jpg
    20230211_patstrout.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230211_patswhitefish.jpg
    20230211_patswhitefish.jpg
    850.1 KB · Views: 2