What's in your vise?

WWKimba

Smolt
Here are todays 2X2's named for the waters they were first fished.

KG's Spring Creek Scud - Originated by Kelly Glissameyer for his home spring creek.

1016906036_KGsSpringCreekScud.thumb.jpg.01c16b71563b73affc8700fa997fad3a.jpg

Hook - TMC 2488, 12-14

Thread - olive or tan

Tail - natural and/or synthetic dubbing mix to match natural

Shellback - clear plastic bag material

Rib - single strand of pearl Krystal flask

Body & Legs - same material as tail, brushed out for the legs

Lee's Ferry Midge - Common color schemes - (bead/thread/rib) - pearl, white, or diamond bead/black thread/silver wire (pictured); pearl, white, or diamond/dark olive/silver; pearl, white, or diamond/grey/silver; pearl, white, or diamond/brown/gold or silver; copper-colored/brown/silver wire; and pearl, white, diamond, or red/red/silver. The originator of this pattern has been lost to history for this pattern from the Four Corners.

1209466118_LeesFerryMidge.thumb.jpg.d68ff20335b26ba045a4c2b47d5f8894.jpg

Hook - TMC 2487 or 2488, 18

Thread - 8/0 or 12/0 thread, color depends

Bead - glass bead

Rib - fine wire

Body - tying thread

Thorax - dubbing to match thread color

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Here are todays 2X2's named for the waters they were first fished.

KG's Spring Creek Scud - Originated by Kelly Glissameyer for his home spring creek.

1016906036_KGsSpringCreekScud.thumb.jpg.01c16b71563b73affc8700fa997fad3a.jpg

Hook - TMC 2488, 12-14

Thread - olive or tan

Tail - natural and/or synthetic dubbing mix to match natural

Shellback - clear plastic bag material

Rib - single strand of pearl Krystal flask

Body & Legs - same material as tail, brushed out for the legs

Lee's Ferry Midge - Common color schemes - (bead/thread/rib) - pearl, white, or diamond bead/black thread/silver wire (pictured); pearl, white, or diamond/dark olive/silver; pearl, white, or diamond/grey/silver; pearl, white, or diamond/brown/gold or silver; copper-colored/brown/silver wire; and pearl, white, diamond, or red/red/silver. The originator of this pattern has been lost to history for this pattern from the Four Corners.

1209466118_LeesFerryMidge.thumb.jpg.d68ff20335b26ba045a4c2b47d5f8894.jpg

Hook - TMC 2487 or 2488, 18

Thread - 8/0 or 12/0 thread, color depends

Bead - glass bead

Rib - fine wire

Body - tying thread

Thorax - dubbing to match thread color
You fish Lee’s Ferry?

Scottp

Legend
Pheasant Cahill

52682231549_a192cd4e2c_c.jpg

52682375455_4cdb0c49c3_c.jpg

52681429117_c529f499b6_c.jpg

52682229734_456e5b00d8_c.jpg

This one has been rattling around in my head for a few days; about the only think it has in common with a real Cahill is the ginger hackle and woodduck flank but I really liked the look of the pheasant.

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - Uni 8/0 tan
tail - hen pheasant
rib - small wire gold
body - Starburst dubbing tan
hackle - ginger
wing - woodduck flank
shoulder - hen pheasant

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Partridge-1080.jpg

Partridge

Winged Wet Fly

Tail - Partridge
Body - Rear half silver tinsel; front half yellow floss
Hackle - Honey
Wing - Partridge

Trout - Ray Bergman

Forgotten Flies - Schmookler and Sils
My problem with your flies is they are too beautiful to fish…

WWKimba

Smolt
A couple 2X2 dries today

Pale Evening Dun - A pattern from Skip Morris

349102174_PaleEveningDun.thumb.jpg.cea9ee5e6f8cc90c6a3ed925ee77d364.jpg

Hook - standard dry, 16-18

Thread - black

Tail - blue dun cock fibers

Body - pale yellow dubbing

Wings - blue dun cock hackle tips

Hackle - blue dun cock

Bluet Damsel This is an example of an off body fly pattern designed by the late Tom Deschaine. The extended body of the fly is tied onto a needle, removed and the hook point is then threaded through the first two marked bands and then the fly is finished. Tom was a biology teacher from Michigan and a fine tyer and fly historian. To check out some of his work check out his work and database of Michigan dry flies his site is still up and located at - Michigan Dry Flies (michigandryflies.net)

1879178717_BluetDamselfly.thumb.jpg.3339865d413562ab9a406059c1a90adf.jpg

Hook - Mustad 94833, 10

Thread - for body-black, for head/thorax - blue (black used here as my blue did not arrive on time!

Body - blue-dyed deer body hair, tied on needle with black thread wraps for bands

Wing - polar bear hair or substitute (brushed out white poly used here)
You fish Lee’s Ferry?
Not yet. I was in that area for a beer and bull tying session at the Shaylor Brewing Company in Shillington. It was a 4+ hour drive and I figured I'd be drinking my first at 12:30 PM. After a couple wrong turns, I called off my search at 4 PM!! And at that time and level of frustration I could've USED a BEER! Found out later that after all that driving I called of my search just a half-mile away!!!

Kim

WWKimba

Smolt
My problem with your flies is they are too beautiful to fish…
I've seen his fine work for ~14 years now. I had him in a couple of my swaps on another site and thought I had him figured out! You see I ALWAYS knew that his pictures were photo-shopped. My only problem now is to find out he photo-shopped his swap flies!! One thing I can say though is that he is NOT perfect - he's a Red Sox fan!

Kim (AKA a Yankees fan!)

RichS

Life of the Party
Gave my first spook type fly a test swim in the Columbia this morning and decided that, while it works, a bigger bead would be better and I don't like the way hook rides when attached with a split ring. So here is a second try.

DSCN2697.JPG
DSCN2696.JPG
Shank: 80 mm big game shank
Hook: 1/0 gama big river bait hook
Back weight: 6.5 mm brass bead
Body: white, gray and red deer, front face coated with softex.
Eyes: 8 mm silver and black

Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I was looking at the materials for Fran Betters 'Usual' and it lists snowshoe hare fur from between the toes for its water shedding ability. I'm wondering is it the same for all rabbits? I get a bucket full of rabbit feet every time I butcher rabbits, maybe I shouldn't toss them? Anyone tie them with whatever rabbit they can aquire?20220605_111230.jpg

Zak

Legend
I was looking at the materials for Fran Betters 'Usual' and it lists snowshoe hare fur from between the toes for its water shedding ability. I'm wondering is it the same for all rabbits? I get a bucket full of rabbit feet every time I butcher rabbits, maybe I shouldn't toss them? View attachment 53638
Nope. Snowshoe hares need insulation from the cold snow and their feet are packed with a dense pillow of hollow hairs. Some sources sell "winter jackrabbit feet" and I have bought them and they are not as good as snowshoe.

The Hareline package with two back feet and two front feet is a good deal (but I don't know where they came up with "the front feet are larger"):

Zak

Legend
Nope. Snowshoe hares need insulation from the cold snow and their feet are packed with a dense pillow of hollow hairs. Some sources sell "winter jackrabbit feet" and I have bought them and they are not as good as snowshoe.

The Hareline package with two back feet and two front feet is a good deal (but I don't know where they came up with "the front feet are larger"):
PXL_20230211_215633975.jpg

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed

The Hareline package with two back feet and two front feet is a good deal.
Thanks that's what I figured, but I didn't want to waste all the effort to find out myself:D It wouldbe nice to utilize the fur somehow but that's a big project. I have contact with a slingshot hunter in Alaska that's been busting a lot of bunnies lately, maybe I should ask him to mail me the feet!

Reactions: Zak