February tying contest thread-and January's winner is:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
CDC emergers, a few different styles. 18s and 20s. First two are supposed to be chironomids, next two caddisflies, last one just a thing in the surface film. They all work. They also all work for one fish only, and then are useless as emergers until they dry out. I don’t use these very often, basically only if a parachute Adams is not getting it done and I really want to catch a fish. These particular flies have been in my box for close to 20 years!
View attachment 53187View attachment 53188View attachment 53189View attachment 53190View attachment 53191
I am also a big fan of CDC because it catches the hell out of fish for me. I have found Frog's Fanny floatant--fumigated silica powder--with the brush, brings a CDC wing fly back to floating, fishable status right quick. I also found the powder online in bulk, I put it in a squeezy ketchup bottle, and I can easily refill my little Frog's Fanny bottle.

Thank you to everyone that participated in an awesome January contest:
Now to the fun part🎉

The winner of our subsurface bass contest is... @Kfish and his sexy versions of the Murdich Minnow:
View attachment 52455View attachment 52457
Kfish has selected lake emerger. Time to get tying. Post your flies and discussion below!

If you didn't check out last months winner @James St. Clair article on his Congo Hair Sculpin I recommend giving that a view as well:

Thanks everyone. These have been a lot of fun! 🍻
Billy
Awesome pattern!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
What size? Just curious because if it is an emerger, what critter is represented as emerging here?

emerging sculpin.
To be fair, ive been trying to think of how i can take "Lake Emerger" in a weird direction.
For instance how can a Musky pattern be turned into an emerger? How about an emerging duckling?

Last edited:

Chucker

Steelhead
emerging sculpin.
To be fair, ive been trying to think of how i can take "Lake Emerger" in a weird direction.
For instance how can a Musky pattern be turned into an emerger? How about an emerging duckling?

That can be next month’s theme!

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
emerging sculpin.
I'm already gunna do an emerging salamander in the 10 inch range😁

@Matt B size 10 with 4.0 mm tung bead. Smaller then they look in the pictures. It's not specific. But I think would represent a plethora of lake bugs heading up 🤔

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I'm already gunna do an emerging salamander in the 10 inch range😁

@Matt B size 10 with 4.0 mm tung bead. Smaller then they look in the pictures. It's not specific. But I think would represent a plethora of lake bugs heading up 🤔
I guess this is another pointless philosophical/lumping/splitting question...at what point does a nymph or pupa become an "emerger"?

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I guess this is another pointless philosophical/lumping/splitting question...at what point does a nymph or pupa become an "emerger"?
I take my cues from the fish. As Denny Rickards constantly points out, when you see rise forms, it’s a good clue that a hatch is happening. From there it’s useful to know what kinda bugs are poppin’ because I use that to decide how deep to fish. If I’m pretty sure they’re callibaetis, I’m going to focus on the upper column, maybe top 3’. Chironomids could be staged down deep or the party could be mid-column or upper, or surface film.