Fishing and camping with dogs?

Blue Lines

Steelhead
My father passed this fall and I inherited a very sweet and well behaved border collie. She loves camping, and when my wife comes as well things work out great, but I’m at a loss of what to do with her if I were to go camping with just the dog. I almost exclusively fish rivers, and spend most of my time wading.

Do any of you take your dog camping and fishing? I guess I could leave her in the car, but many times wading a section of river takes me 3-4 hours and I’m worried for her.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
My father passed this fall and I inherited a very sweet and well behaved border collie. She loves camping, and when my wife comes as well things work out great, but I’m at a loss of what to do with her if I were to go camping with just the dog. I almost exclusively fish rivers, and spend most of my time wading.

Do any of you take your dog camping and fishing? I guess I could leave her in the car, but many times wading a section of river takes me 3-4 hours and I’m worried for her.
My Jack Russell terrier went everywhere with me and would swim anything I could wade across. She would end up way, way downstream! No worries bring her on extended camping, hiking, and wading trips.

My current dog, a rescue St. Bernard, is a wonderful dog but has a water phobia or maybe just doesn't like how her coat stays soaking wet for hours. I'm working with her on that but for now would not bring on a trip requiring multiple river crossings. She is happy napping on the river bank while I fish.

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
I take my dog with me fishing 50-50, first thing I’d do is walk a section w/o rod and see how fido reacts. Collies are smart, I’m guessing she will watch from the bank as my dog does.

Bank hazards are important to know about, if it’s a popular run with signs of fishing line I’m extremely cautious. Sometimes walking the bank before to sweep any hooks and just see if it’s safe.

It is your job to know where your dog is every backcast! I can’t stress that part enough.

And of course from time I leave him in the truck. But my dog was made accustomed to that young, so I’d start with the collie in short durations working up. Leave something that smells like you too and optimally I’d sneakily watch his reaction when you leave. If calm you’ll have an easy transition to long durations, if not calm your progress will be slower.

First couple outings I’d tailor your expectations low, keep the experience enjoyable for her.

Blue Lines

Steelhead
I take my dog with me fishing 50-50, first thing I’d do is walk a section w/o rod and see how fido reacts. Collies are smart, I’m guessing she will watch from the bank as my dog does.

Bank hazards are important to know about, if it’s a popular run with signs of fishing line I’m extremely cautious. Sometimes walking the bank before to sweep any hooks and just see if it’s safe.

It is your job to know where your dog is every backcast! I can’t stress that part enough.

And of course from time I leave him in the truck. But my dog was made accustomed to that young, so I’d start with the collie in short durations working up. Leave something that smells like you too and optimally I’d sneakily watch his reaction when you leave. If calm you’ll have an easy transition to long durations, if not calm your progress will be slower.

First couple outings I’d tailor your expectations low, keep the experience enjoyable for her.
Great advice. I’ve heard there are parasite concerns with dogs and raw salmon/trout. Does this give you pause at all?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I have 2 labs. They both love water & love trying to "retrieve" trout on the end of my line. Terrible fishing dogs, they are.

Buuut, at least with the older one, makes an excellent camping dog (youngest is still 5-6 months, so I haven't had her out camping yet).

2615.jpg

Divad

Whitefish
Great advice. I’ve heard there are parasite concerns with dogs and raw salmon/trout. Does this give you pause at all?
Outside of fall fisheries, no not at all. During the fall I may have a little more caution towards this, but once my dog sees me fishing he’s glued.

I’ve shown him countless fish at the end of the line and he really likes them, much more than any dead carcasses. For the other 9/10 months though it’s not an issue in my opinion.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Of the 4 fishing dogs I've had only one went in on the salmon. Couple days later she wasn't eating much. Any dog that doesn't eat their entire bowl of food right away goes to the vet.

As for bank behavior, every dg is different. Some wander, some want to be right at your side. I mostly ignore them as most places I fish is fairly wild and they can. I definitely developed and internal clock for when they should check in. A unique whistle brings them back every time. Just go out and try it in some safe spots.

One thing I used to do that I don't anymore is take them on the Deschutes. Too many rattlesnakes.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Salmon poisoning will kill a dog in a couple weeks if untreated. As Yard noted, if you're on the coastal rivers in the fall and your dogs goes off its food, get them checked out by a vet ASAP. Our house is just downstream of a salmon hatchery so I have to watch Yuki like a hawk or she will get into salmon carcasses. He favorite seems to be the crunchy tails and spines that have already been picked clean which is lucky as that's not a likely reservoir for the flukes that carry the organism that causes the problem.

If I'm out for a full day float during winter steelhead season, I leave her home. Too cold and wet. If I'm just banking it and bouncing from place to place, I always bring her along. She's better than a gun for tweakers and bears. More importantly, she's my best friend and I just prefer having her along. That means I have to modify my fishing to accommodate but its a good trade-off for me. There are a few runs where I leave her in the truck because they are dangerous and or tend to cut her feet due to sharp rocks but only when it's colder out. She got started young and by now she's chewed sticks on all the best steelhead rivers in WA and a few in OR.

Yuki_12.09.17.011

Untitled

yuki-snowriver

yuki_klickitat

Yuki 6th bday

Last edited:

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Beautiful pups Thomas!

I will say that if its cold skip the dog jackets and get the hunting neoprene vests. Even if they stay out of the water the riverside brush is usually wet.

When I do fall/winter overnight floats I bring a couple foam pads and a kids synthetic sleeping bag for the pups which goes under my cot.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I guess I love angling, but I love my dog more. Walk and wade trips are with Dugan. Lake trips alone in my 2-Salt are with Dugan. If I go in my southfork or with other anglers, i leave him home. As he ages, Ill take him, but he’s a bit high energy for crowds. For every fish I’ve missed, I’ve at least two memories. EA0F59DE-22BB-4520-BF7B-1EC5A1510BE7.jpeg5990AD93-1B4D-41AC-AC4D-4C3199D9FEAB.jpeg98CA2B7C-2C7C-4B94-A8CC-BFF3C0EB0174.jpeg

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Blue Lines,

Congrats on your new friend.

The last 35 ish years, my dog(s) always go with me camping/hunting/fishing. However, I dont take them to the river with me, they stay in the truck. Advantage is they create a natural threat deterrence, as all my dogs have been of larger breeds. 3 - 4 hours is max time I keep them in there. They always have a water dish on the floorboards.

I also feel that a loose dog, whilst fishing, is asking for trouble. Some of the people who use the rivers, are not dog people. Some are genuinely frightened of them. Plus there are a lot of bad situations a dog can get into, for instance, chasing deer/elk, getting bit by a rattler, getting stuck under water in a log jam, just to name a few.

Salmon Poisoning. We had a dog get this from just three licks to a Hatchery Bred Rainbow, stocked in Pine Hollow Reservoir, close to thirty years ago. Almost lost her as Central Oregon Vets had not seen a case before. Takeaway, dogs dont need to swallow/eat a carcass to get Salmon Poisoning.

IMHO its the owner's responsibility to constantly keep watch on your free roaming pet friend. I dont think you can devote 100% of your attention on an unleashed animal, if your also concentrating on fishing.

Enjoy that time with you furry pal.

Bob

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I'm willing to loan you my wife's chihuahuas so you can perfect your 'fishing/camp with dogs' techniques before attempting to do so with a real dog.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Take them fishing, take them camping. I generally fish alone, ie, no other humans, so the pups are always with me. No worries with trout, but as mentioned, salmon poisoning is a serious concern. I have 2 pups that got it, off their food 2 to 3 days post exposure - to the vet right away, treated with antibiotics and right as rain within 24 hours.

Fish kisses:

5463B629-CCD2-4809-9740-73B6E4C2BFF2_1_105_c.jpeg

B8C19291-CECB-4642-840E-1F5EA3A28175_1_105_c.jpeg

Cheers

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Blue Lines,

Congrats on your new friend.

The last 35 ish years, my dog(s) always go with me camping/hunting/fishing. However, I dont take them to the river with me, they stay in the truck. Advantage is they create a natural threat deterrence, as all my dogs have been of larger breeds. 3 - 4 hours is max time I keep them in there. They always have a water dish on the floorboards.

I also feel that a loose dog, whilst fishing, is asking for trouble. Some of the people who use the rivers, are not dog people. Some are genuinely frightened of them. Plus there are a lot of bad situations a dog can get into, for instance, chasing deer/elk, getting bit by a rattler, getting stuck under water in a log jam, just to name a few.

Salmon Poisoning. We had a dog get this from just three licks to a Hatchery Bred Rainbow, stocked in Pine Hollow Reservoir, close to thirty years ago. Almost lost her as Central Oregon Vets had not seen a case before. Takeaway, dogs dont need to swallow/eat a carcass to get Salmon Poisoning.

IMHO its the owner's responsibility to constantly keep watch on your free roaming pet friend. I dont think you can devote 100% of your attention on an unleashed animal, if your also concentrating on fishing.

Enjoy that time with you furry pal.

Bob
Great post!

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Id love to fish with my dog. However i just dont think i can trust her Beagle personality. If anyone thinks its possible or has done it let me know

Blue Lines

Steelhead
Thanks, everyone, for the wonderful thoughts. I’m probably going to try a combination of keeping her in the Jeep and bringing her with (when fishing close to camp). Rattlesnakes are a real concern, I fish the lower D and the Crooked occasionally. (Photos are ones I took of her and my Dad on the lower D. He didn’t wade much so she always came with)
B32776C2-0555-4349-8A18-F1A06B5221AC.jpegAD620942-0261-44BD-A124-A33C4663A019.jpeg

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Id love to fish with my dog. However i just dont think i can trust her Beagle personality. If anyone thinks its possible or has done it let me know
You can never trust a beagle … you never know what they’re gonna’ do. THEY don’t even know what they‘re going to do… they only think with their nose!

I know, because I grew up with them. My Dad had a couple of packs of beagles (13 at one time actually!) back in the 50’s and some of my best and earliest memories were going to field trials with him chasing howling packs of beagles pursuing rabbits, followed up with trophies and ribbons handed out to the best of them by the field judge. Beagles are trainable for rabbit hunting and field trials, but they’re independent little hounds that can be unpredictable. We had one (name was Jack) that flung himself out of the open window of the moving truck (these were the days before AC) anytime he’d see a wild critter. Once after a deer, another time when a bobcat ran across the road! Dad left the family for the rest of the day chasing after Jack until they both got lost in the woods. Mom was pretty pissed off after that episode and he eventually got rid of his pack(s) of hounds.

I’ve had two of my own as an adult, they’re still unpredictable.