Fishing and camping with dogs?

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You can never trust a beagle … you never know what they’re gonna’ do. THEY don’t even know what they‘re going to do… they only think with their nose!

I know, because I grew up with them. My Dad had a couple of packs of beagles (13 at one time actually!) back in the 50’s and some of my best and earliest memories were going to field trials with him chasing howling packs of beagles pursuing rabbits, followed up with trophies and ribbons handed out to the best of them by the field judge. Beagles are trainable for rabbit hunting and field trials, but they’re independent little hounds that can be unpredictable. We had one (name was Jack) that flung himself out of the open window of the moving truck (these were the days before AC) anytime he’d see a wild critter. Once after a deer, another time when a bobcat ran across the road! Dad left the family for the rest of the day chasing after Jack until they both got lost in the woods. Mom was pretty pissed off after that episode and he eventually got rid of his pack(s) of hounds.

I’ve had two of my own as an adult, they’re still unpredictable.
Thank you so much for letting me know. That is what my instincts have been telling me and what I always knew from the research I did on the breed. I do get jealous of you folks who have that faithful companion joining you on the boat. I got plenty of time. Someday. Till then, this Phoebe girl will be fun.

Peatbog

Smolt
My father passed this fall and I inherited a very sweet and well behaved border collie. She loves camping, and when my wife comes as well things work out great, but I’m at a loss of what to do with her if I were to go camping with just the dog. I almost exclusively fish rivers, and spend most of my time wading.

Do any of you take your dog camping and fishing? I guess I could leave her in the car, but many times wading a section of river takes me 3-4 hours and I’m worried for her.
Have had fishing and camping dogs for thirty years. Lab and two poodles miniature and currently a standard. All raised from pups. I wish I had video of her, the first time we visited my favorite beaver ponds out on the canal. For most people a poodle would be a terrible water dog but my wife owns a dog grooming salon. That said , your dog is a very smart breed with a touch of crazy. You are just going to have to figure the little guy out as you experience your adventures together as you did not get to raise it. I would be wiing to bet it loves balls and Frisbee's. Sorry about your loss and kudos for taking on the pup. We have had to relocate probably dozen dogs from a senior owner passing on and family not wanting or able to take on the responsibility. One of my worst nightmares is dying and leaving a beloved dog in the lurch.

Peatbog

Smolt
You can never trust a beagle … you never know what they’re gonna’ do. THEY don’t even know what they‘re going to do… they only think with their nose!

I know, because I grew up with them. My Dad had a couple of packs of beagles (13 at one time actually!) back in the 50’s and some of my best and earliest memories were going to field trials with him chasing howling packs of beagles pursuing rabbits, followed up with trophies and ribbons handed out to the best of them by the field judge. Beagles are trainable for rabbit hunting and field trials, but they’re independent little hounds that can be unpredictable. We had one (name was Jack) that flung himself out of the open window of the moving truck (these were the days before AC) anytime he’d see a wild critter. Once after a deer, another time when a bobcat ran across the road! Dad left the family for the rest of the day chasing after Jack until they both got lost in the woods. Mom was pretty pissed off after that episode and he eventually got rid of his pack(s) of hounds.

There used to be an old boy I would run into fishing the Dosewalip for steelhead that had two beagles. He had a radio collar on one of them and more than once I would be on the way off the river and find him chasing that dog around in his old beat up Ranchero. I will always remember him because he once told me that the steelhead fishing went to shit after they built the floating bridge.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter

My father passed this fall and I inherited a very sweet and well behaved border collie. She loves camping, and when my wife comes as well things work out great, but I’m at a loss of what to do with her if I were to go camping with just the dog. I almost exclusively fish rivers, and spend most of my time wading.

Do any of you take your dog camping and fishing? I guess I could leave her in the car, but many times wading a section of river takes me 3-4 hours and I’m worried for her.
I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my father when I was 24, and it left a hole in my life that is still there almost 34 years later. That same year I got a black lab puppy that really helped with with my grief. A couple of years later, my wife and I got a younger sister to the first lab. At the time I was a very passionate fly fisherman, but I realized early on that my fishing was going to take a bit of a back seat as a dog owner. I found that if my fishing day included time for the dogs, such as playing fetch, dummy training, or just taking the dogs for a strenuous walk, I was rewarded with happy and calm dogs when it came time to fish. I'd say if you temper your fishing expectations a bit, and focus a bit on your pup's needs, you will look back on the trips you spend with your newly acquired friend with a smile and a sense of accomplishment. Is it a challenge and frustrating at times? You bet, and totally worth it!

Blue Lines

Steelhead
I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my father when I was 24, and it left a hole in my life that is still there almost 34 years later. That same year I got a black lab puppy that really helped with with my grief. A couple of years later, my wife and I got a younger sister to the first lab. At the time I was a very passionate fly fisherman, but I realized early on that my fishing was going to take a bit of a back seat as a dog owner. I found that if my fishing day included time for the dogs, such as playing fetch, dummy training, or just taking the dogs for a strenuous walk, I was rewarded with happy and calm dogs when it came time to fish. I'd say if you temper your fishing expectations a bit, and focus a bit on your pup's needs, you will look back on the trips you spend with your newly acquired friend with a smile and a sense of accomplishment. Is it a challenge and frustrating at times? You bet, and totally worth it!
Well said! I appreciate you.

wetline dave

Steelhead
Salmon poisoning is very real. I had a lab that liked to roll in carcasses and contracted the fluke and ended up with having epilepsy type symptoms for years until he died. Daley medication and even seizures could occur. Meds not cheap but not bank breaking either. The trouble was he would wander off while hunting and just lie down with a seizure and that kind of hit a panic button.

Dogs running loose along a river is basically a bad idea. Lots of people do not like dogs running up to them and especially strange dogs. myself included. If your dog can stay at heel or sit and be "mannered" is one thing but to run around like a wild animal is not acceptable. You might think it is OK for your dog to run wild but others have a right to non-confrontational settings., We share the resource we don't own it.

Dave