BRRRR!!!

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Better batten down the hatches @Old Man.
View attachment 45720
Looks a bit chilly . Being raised in Chinook up on the high line, we had a few cold days 🥶 I believe the coldest was the winter of 1954, my dad said it was 60 below ,he lied to us , if I remember when I looked it up it was only 58.:oops: I do remember him trying to get the car to move , he kept it plugged in it would start okay ,but it was an old Buick with the dynaflow transmission , and they didn't go well in that below 0 weather .

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Looks a bit chilly . Being raised in Chinook up on the high line, we had a few cold days 🥶 I believe the coldest was the winter of 1954, my dad said it was 60 below ,he lied to us , if I remember when I looked it up it was only 58.:oops: I do remember him trying to get the car to move , he kept it plugged in it would start okay ,but it was an old Buick with the dynaflow transmission , and they didn't go well in that below 0 weather .
Mom had a '53 Buick and would shadow me on my Billings Gazette morning paper route if it was around -10 or lower. I would deliver a dozen or so papers and then hop in to warm up. I really came to love the heater in it.:D
Edit; On the non-Buick mornings these WWII aviator boots that were common at Bair's Army surplus store, in the early 60's, were my go to.
1671552536383.png

Last edited:

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Mom had a '53 Buick and would shadow me on my Billings Gazette morning paper route if it was around -10 or lower. I would deliver a dozen or so papers and then hope in to warm up. I really came to love the heater in it.:D

I remember those days .Living in that small town we pretty much walk everywhere we went . Pretty common to be out playing or sleigh riding in some of that cold weather , I'm sure they kept us in when it was too much below 0. I do know we didn't have the quality of cold weather gear we have today, Gloves would get wet ,hands frozen , feet cold etc etc . Seemed like we would head for home to warm up a bit ,and go back at it . We survived . :)

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Brings back frigid memories of those days when I'd hit the ignition switch of my plugged-in vehicle and hear "CLICK." Although Dad's old flathead '49 Ford seemed impervious to cold and always started.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Brings back frigid memories of those days when I'd hit the ignition switch of my plugged-in vehicle and hear "CLICK." Although Dad's old flathead '49 Ford seemed impervious to cold and always started.
Starting a carbureted vehicle on those cold mornings, if it would turn over, was a real knack. Knowing that the number of times it would crank over were limited you had to have the precise number of pumps on the gas pedal for what might be your one and only chance.
Jumper cables were standard equipment.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Starting a carbureted vehicle on those cold mornings, if it would turn over, was a real knack. Knowing that the number of times it would crank over were limited you had to have the precise number of pumps on the gas pedal for what might be your one and only chance.
Plus, one became programmed to ensure lights, radio, heater fan were all OFF. Failing to do so could well scuttle " . . . your one and only chance."

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Plus, one became programmed to ensure lights, radio, heater fan were all OFF. Failing to do so could well scuttle " . . . your one and only chance."

Now I double check to make sure the heater/defrost/heated seats in my wife's car are left on when we turn it off so that when we push the button on her keychain to start the car it is nice and toasty by the time we actually go outside and get into it. ;)

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I still do that today and will add wipers so they dont get ripped off when they're eternally froze to the windshield. :)

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Better batten down the hatches @Old Man.
View attachment 45720
This isn't wind chill...definitely some serious shit.
I spent a year in Greenland in the winter time I know what cold is. I don't even think I have to go out in the cold weather. You can stay out for a little while at minus 60. But only a little time, any longer and you could end up as an icicle. I can start my truck at minus 10 but any colder no way. The coldest I was in was minus 60.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Mom had a '53 Buick and would shadow me on my Billings Gazette morning paper route if it was around -10 or lower. I would deliver a dozen or so papers and then hop in to warm up. I really came to love the heater in it.:D
Edit; On the non-Buick mornings these WWII aviator boots that were common at Bair's Army surplus store, in the early 60's, were my go to.
View attachment 45726
The later versions, now Vapor Barrier
Mickey Mouse boots
BOOTS COLD WEATHER: MENS RUBBER BLACK W/RELEASE VALVE predate the post-Korea white boots −20 °F
1671588954493.png
Bunny Boots
BOOTS EXTREME COLD WEATHER: MENS RUBBER WHITE W/RELEASE VALVE −65 °F (−54 °C)
I wonder if my XXXL Force Fins will fit over them? :unsure:
1671590450315.png1671589244120.png

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
I spent a year in Greenland in the winter time I know what cold is. I don't even think I have to go out in the cold weather. You can stay out for a little while at minus 60. But only a little time, any longer and you could end up as an icicle. I can start my truck at minus 10 but any colder no way. The coldest I was in was minus 60.
It's nothing like Greenland but when I was a Field Engineer for Texas Instruments, I worked at a site in Fairbanks. At -30°F without a balaclava the hairs inside my nose would instantly freeze with my first breath outside. Weird feeling.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Here's a pretty stylish cold weather face mask; the Beardski Ski Mask
1671592133481.png1671592234923.png