What's in your vise?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I admire your stick to it ness. Keep up the good work. I have never had much luck with a pt nymph in streams. I have done much better in still waters with them.
Thx. I had given up on the prince nymph too, like others were saying, but with rubber tails or coq de leon it worked better for me, I even got a whitefish. Most folks said it worked for them, so maybe I just had to tweak it enough and fish it a certain way to get confidence like James was saying.. Just like I'd given up on muddler years ago, then Zak got me onto them. These classic patterns are that way for a reason, and I'm certainly not the expert, so I don't mind retrying what others recommend. I hate to get skunked, like someone said in another thread, but other than that I have fun just fiddling around trying stuff.

Bagman

Steelhead
Just finished up my 2nd boat patch donation for the February 2023 Madison-Gallatin TU Banquet. Took about 4 weeks to get this one done. These flies will show up in the online and silent auction at the banquet next February. Here's the description:

Twenty-Four Dozen Montana Trout Flies tied on Firehole Outdoors barbless hooks on 11”x17” slotted boat patch. Hand tied in Bozeman, Montana. Dries, streamers, nymphs, terrestrials, mayflies, stoneflies, caddis, midges. Weighted flies use tungsten Firehole Stones or Lead-Free wire (Yellowstone Park safe.) An all-around selection for SW Montana rivers year-round.

View attachment 37949View attachment 37950View attachment 37951View attachment 37952View attachment 37953View attachment 37954View attachment 37955View attachment 37956View attachment 37957View attachment 37958
Wow

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Capelin_Body_Cosseboom_1080.jpg

Capelin Body Cosseboom

Salmon Fly

Earl Roberts

Hook - Single Salmon

Thread - Black & red

Body/Tail - Silver mylar tubing

Wing - Grey squirrel tail

Collar -Yellow hackle

Head - Red

Fly Patterns of Canada - Paul C Marriner

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Diving-Caddis-1080.jpg

Diving Caddis

Caddis Fly

Mac Warner

Hook - Mustad 9672 or equivalent, size 8-14

Thread - Black

Butt - Lime green dubbing

Body - Olive dubbing (or dark olive, brown or black

Wing - White polar bear or substitute

Hackle - Brown hen

Scottp

Legend
Golden Invicta Mini Shrimp

52496263567_97c8bcc4ae_c.jpg

52497238795_37792dff30_c.jpg

52496277702_f6bb040e55_c.jpg

Notional.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
tail - golden pheasant rump feather yellow
rib - small wire gold
body - Starburst dubbing gold
hackle - brown
1st shoulder - pheasant rump
2nd shoulder - grizzly hen dyed Silver Doctor Blue (1 pack Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Crowsnest-Olive-Wet-1080.jpg

Crowsnest Olive Wet

Winged Wet Fly

Jim Fox

Hook - Standard wet fly hook, size 10-14

Thread - Olive

Tail - Mallard flank*

Body - Fine olive dubbing

Wing - Wood duck

Beard - Light brown hackle

*When your mallard flank is crap, the next bird up is teal

Quite possibly named for the Crowsnest River in Canada

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Shushan-Postmaster-2-1080.jpg

Shushan Postmaster

Hook - Mustad 9575
Thread - Black
Tail - Strip of mottled turkey
Ribbing - Flat gold tinsel
Body - Yellow floss or uni stretch
Throat - Dyed red duck quill or hackle fibers
Wing - Fox squirrel tail
Cheek - Jungle cock

A fishing fly (or lure) known as the “Shushan Postmaster” was named for Al Prindle who served as postmaster of the hamlet of Shushan, NY during 1935-1947. He was a trout fishing buddy and good friend of Lew Oatman, a pioneer of 17 new streamer fly patterns that imitated young baitfish. These streamer designs were considered “exact imitation” style as they were nearly identical to native forage fish commonly found in the nearby Battenkill River.
In 1953 Oatman honored his friendship with Prindle by producing the new fly pattern, “Shushan Postmaster”. The body of the fly is wound with light yellow floss and slightly tapered, with flat gold tinsel ribbing. The throat of the hook has a few fibers from a duck wing quill, dyed red. Extending the length of the fly is a small bunch of orange and brown fox squirrel tail hair, with a very small section of a brown mottled turkey feather near the end of the hook.
Prindle was also immortalized by Norman Rockwell (1894-1978), painter/illustrator for Saturday Evening Post for more than 40 years. Rockwell lived upriver in Arlington, Vermont from 1939 to 1953 and hired area residents to serve as his models. Prindle was depicted in Rockwell’s “Four Seasons” with fellow Shushan resident Alva Roberson and alone in the painting “Catching the Big One”, with the latter featured on the cover of The Saturday Evening Post on August 3, 1929.

Last edited:

Scottp

Legend
Hare’s Ear Mini Shrimp

52499407686_4c31fd8f50_c.jpg

52499989953_ed1c2cdcd2_c.jpg

52499963988_695cb953e6_c.jpg

Planned to use a dyed brown rump feather for first shoulder and grizzly hen in front but tried a pheasant body feather first and liked how that turned out.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
tail - golden pheasant rump feather red
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear
hackle - brown/grizzly
shoulder - pheasant body feather

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Gold-Sand-Shiner-1080.jpg

Gold Sand Shiner

Baitfish Imitation

Gerry Beck

Hook - Mustad 3777 or equivalent keel style hook

Thread - Black

Weight - 20 turns .025” lead/lead free wire

Body - Gold mylar tubing, tie in with red thread

Wing - Stacked white bucktail extending past hook, unraveled gold mylar tubing or gold krystal flash, black bucktail, brown bucktail

Head - Black, large

Eyes - Painted black over white