What's in your vise?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Some new stuff for the box.
Not sure why I continue to tie clousers as I probably have a thousand of them anyway. 😂
SF

E396199E-2BB5-460A-A469-1E1A4D572355.jpeg

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I like these. That first one looks money. My main comment would be to watch your hook gap. With a big head and such a short shank you aren't leaving yourself with much gap to actually hook the fish. On a hook that short I'd probably tie everything on top and form the head mostly above the shank. I had a phase where I was tying on too short or too small of hooks for how much bulk the head/body had. The pattern was good and I had lots of good takes, but failed to hook or lost way more fish than a stinger clouser or larger hook would have. I still feel the sting from back to back days losing an ~20 lb king and a 9+ lb coho.

I agree. The top two were tied with a fish mask which really eliminates a lot of hook gap on the size 4 ahrex hook it’s tied on. I have caught fish on that pattern this year but I am not doing myself any favors. Part of the reason I stopped into the fly shop this weekend was to pick up some bigger hooks after our chat Saturday morning on the beach about hook size.

Scottp

Legend
Hen Pheasant Crippler

52293841518_cc6fe8c297_c.jpg

52294103149_05482243aa_c.jpg

52294103169_b7914c0b64_c.jpg

Notional.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 camel
tag - medium tinsel opal
rib - small wire gold
body - bleached hare’s ear
body hackle - ginger
1st shoulder - golden pheasant body red
2nd shoulder - hen pheasant

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Murmansk-Killer-1080.jpg

Murmansk Killer

Atlantic Salmon

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H

Thread - Black

Tag - Oval gold tinsel

Tail - Yellow bucktail

Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel

Body - Flat copper tinsel

Throat - Yellow hackle fibers

Wing - Squirrel tail dyed orange and yellow krystal flash

Hairwing & Tube Flies for Salmon & Steelhead - Chris Mann

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Weasel-1080.jpg

Weasel

Atlantic Salmon

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H

Thread - Black

Tag - Oval silver tinsel

Tail - Yellow hackle fibers

Ribbing - Medium flat silver tinsel

Body - Black floss (body should have equal widths of black & silver)

Throat - Black henny fibers

Wing - Black squirrel over pearl krystal flash

Hairwing & Tube Flies for Salmon & Steelhead - Chris Mann

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Prepping for tuna. Last year a small, plain-white squid saved my bacon in the tough fishing we had. The resin coated hackle/tentacles on the top fly look good but are time consuming and likely not necessary. Dispensed with that and went to craft fur mixed with some flash and other fibers. Also doing some baitfish in brighter colors.

20220818_094137.jpg

Last edited:

Scottp

Legend
NQP

52293460237_826fe3311b_c.jpg

52294445993_1aab479643_c.jpg

52294444216_c1e1f2a8a5_c.jpg

Not Quite Picric, but close enough. Although I have almost as much fun dyeing & tying, I seriously doubt the fish I show these to will note the subtle differences in color, or care one way or another.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 chartreuse
tag - medium tinsel opal
rib - small wire silver
body - dyed NQP (3 Tsp Rit Neon Yellow, 1/8 Tsp Rit Neon Green/2 cups water)
body hackle - hen grizzly dyed NQP
1st shoulder - chartreuse
2nd shoulder - chukar dyed NQP

The dubbing was from a piece of dyed white rabbit fur; not cream or off white, but bright white with almost a bit of blue in it (might account for the more greenish tinge when dyed).

52294473168_028d4cddd7_c.jpg

The chukar is more grey towards the base of the feather and, when dyed, has more olive to it than the region closer to the tip.

52294470791_16890267f1_c.jpg

Regards,
Scott

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
NQP

52293460237_826fe3311b_c.jpg

52294445993_1aab479643_c.jpg

52294444216_c1e1f2a8a5_c.jpg

Not Quite Picric, but close enough. Although I have almost as much fun dyeing & tying, I seriously doubt the fish I show these to will note the subtle differences in color, or care one way or another.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 chartreuse
tag - medium tinsel opal
rib - small wire silver
body - dyed NQP (3 Tsp Rit Neon Yellow, 1/8 Tsp Rit Neon Green/2 cups water)
body hackle - hen grizzly dyed NQP
1st shoulder - chartreuse
2nd shoulder - chukar dyed NQP

The dubbing was from a piece of dyed white rabbit fur; not cream or off white, but bright white with almost a bit of blue in it (might account for the more greenish tinge when dyed).

52294473168_028d4cddd7_c.jpg

The chukar is more grey towards the base of the feather and, when dyed, has more olive to it than the region closer to the tip.

52294470791_16890267f1_c.jpg

Regards,
Scott
I have a pile of material that I need to dye. I have never tried to dye any of the materials I have and I guess have been worried about wasting something that is on the harder side to find. Have you ever posted a sbs on your dyeing process? I'm sure others would be, I know I'm interested. Great looking, fishy ties as usual.

Reactions: Zak

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Roti%E2%80%99s_Brown_Drake_Attractor_108

Roti's Brown Drake Attractor

Hook - Mustad 9671, size 10-12

Thread - Brown

Tail - Iridescent breast feathers of a wild turkey, 2 to 3 fibers

Body - Light cahill or straw-colored dubbing

Hackle - Badger, tied fore and aft

RotisBrownDrakeAttractor.pdf - Google Drive

Tying note - Unless you're tying for historical preservation or a museum, don't waste your money trying to find and buying the iridescent breast feathers of a wild turkey. They are just not that iridescent and could be substituted with pheasant tail fibers or micro peacock herl from the tip of an eye feather. I had the correct feathers on hand so that's what I used, otherwise I would have substituted.

This pattern and one other that I know of, uses the iridescent breast feather of a wild turkey.

Scottp

Legend
I have a pile of material that I need to dye. I have never tried to dye any of the materials I have and I guess have been worried about wasting something that is on the harder side to find. Have you ever posted a sbs on your dyeing process? I'm sure others would be, I know I'm interested. Great looking, fishy ties as usual.

Here’s an old SBS I put together a while back. The procedure is the same for Koolaid as it is for RIT; both are acid dyes for natural substrates ( I did find by accident that it also works on Swiss Straw, but can’t speak for any other synthetic materials). If you go to the Rit site, you can find lots of formulas for different colors. I use the “small” size since I generally dye very small amounts of materials. Be aware that this takes a bit of experimenting; the colors don’t always turn out as advertised, which may be a function of the substrate, concentration, etc. I only use Rit in liquid form; tried the powders years ago but the liquid is much easier to work with. Hope this helps

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
Here’s an old SBS I put together a while back. The procedure is the same for Koolaid as it is for RIT; both are acid dyes for natural substrates ( I did find by accident that it also works on Swiss Straw, but can’t speak for any other synthetic materials). If you go to the Rit site, you can find lots of formulas for different colors. I use the “small” size since I generally dye very small amounts of materials. Be aware that this takes a bit of experimenting; the colors don’t always turn out as advertised, which may be a function of the substrate, concentration, etc. I only use Rit in liquid form; tried the powders years ago but the liquid is much easier to work with. Hope this helps

Regards,
Scott
Perfect, thank you kindly

Tacoma Red

Freshly Spawned
Prepping for tuna. Last year a small, plain-white squid saved my bacon in the tough fishing we had. The resin coated hackle/tentacles on the top fly look good but are time consuming and likely not necessary. Dispensed with that and went to craft fur mixed with some flash and other fibers. Also doing some baitfish in brighter colors.

View attachment 28041

Would this work? From a WFF member who has great tying skills: