Tail - Pheasant tail fibers, 3 to 5

Body: - Pale yellow wool

Wing - Calf tail, split delta-wing style

Hackle - Brown, 3 hackles, tied very heavy

BellsHexagenia.pdf - Google Drive

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
managed to throw together a few bull trout flies for a buddy under the condition that he fish the more colorful one a fair bit...These are on TP605 2/0 (I think one might be on a 4/0 spinnerbait hook, but it has the same gape as the 2/0 TP605s, just a slightly longer shank....I think it's the colorful one).

2PWrZeA.jpg

aT3JQuc.jpg

Best served on the fastest sinking streamer line one has. I would have no qualms about fishing these for tigers either....even with the smaller 2/0.

The colorful one will slay! If you catch them in the right mood, they lose their shit over purple. Swarming and fighting each other for the fly.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Bonefish-Charlie-1080.jpg

Crazy Charlie

Saltwater Fly Pattern

Hook - Any brand saltwater hook

Thread - White or black, pink, orange etc

Eyes - Bead chain or dumbbell

Body - Tinsel under v-rib or equivalent

Wing - Pearl krystal flash over white calf tail

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
The colorful one will slay! If you catch them in the right mood, they lose their shit over purple. Swarming and fighting each other for the fly.
:unsure:

maybe I should tie some up for myself....

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Tube fly clouser.

Anyone fishing tube flies on the beach? I never have but thought I’d give it a shot. I like the idea of changing out hooks and not compromising the braid used for stingers.

View attachment 23775
I've always wanted this to work out for me, because I'm anal about having a sharp hook, and I hate giving up on flies. It would be much better to just tie on a new hook. That said, one of the main features that make a clouser effective is the jigging nature. I find that when you have a line running through 1"+ of tube, the jigging action pretty much dies. VS a regular hook where there is a hinge connection between the loop knot and the eye of the hook. So if I'm going to put up with casting dumbell eyes, I want the jiggy jig. I would like to play with tubes more for epoxy head baitfish or cone head patterns though.

Also note that you can change out the hook on a stinger clouser too.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I like these. That first one looks money. My main comment would be to watch your hook gap. With a big head and such a short shank you aren't leaving yourself with much gap to actually hook the fish. On a hook that short I'd probably tie everything on top and form the head mostly above the shank. I had a phase where I was tying on too short or too small of hooks for how much bulk the head/body had. The pattern was good and I had lots of good takes, but failed to hook or lost way more fish than a stinger clouser or larger hook would have. I still feel the sting from back to back days losing an ~20 lb king and a 9+ lb coho.

Last edited: