Favorite Simple Dry Flies for Mountain Streams

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I don't consider the humpy an easy tie.
I thought that was only me who felt this way. They are a great fly and sounds like the foam back is a good way to simplify them but I always found the back/wing proportions to get correct.

As for the flies pretty much second most of what has been said but for mountain streams in particular I try to incorporate foam as much as possible. It’s ok if a fly is a little bulkier since you’re usually fishing fast water anyway. I tie EHC and stimi’s with foam (orange, yellow or black body), sometimes do a red humpy knock off deal with foam too. Im a fan of royal wullfs too but wouldn’t classify them as ‘simple’.

Zak

Legend
Elkhair caddis. Easy to tie. Foam beetle or ant. Ditto. Renegade.
I don't consider the humpy an easy tie. My Adams aren't great either. I can do elk hair caddis and renegades well enough. Those are really the only 4 I fish much. I fish ants in the film so don't consider them a dry necessarily. Last summer I was having more luck with a muddler dry, then wet, than any other hopper imitation, but that was below what I consider a mountain stream.
I don't find humpies an easy tie, either. I have trouble getting the hair length right at the beginning so that the wings are correct at the end. Just lack of practice, I think.

RCF

Life of the Party
I don't consider the humpy an easy tie. My Adams aren't great either. I can do elk hair caddis and renegades well enough. Those are really the only 4 I fish much. I fish ants in the film so don't consider them a dry necessarily. Last summer I was having more luck with a muddler dry, then wet, than any other hopper imitation, but that was below what I consider a mountain stream.

The humpies I tie are poly yarn bodies, hair for tail and back. And heavy hackle. No hair or feather wing or post. Have not found that they are needed...

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
A mini chubby chernobyl is also great and a super easy tie as well. Skip the back wing.
I've tried things like that off and on, but unless I fish it alone I have a lot of trouble casting it. I usually need a dropper of 2-4' to be useful and they just don't lay out the way I like most of the time. Probably just me because so many people have luck with them. If I want something like that I go stimulator, which works super well once the nymph eventually pulls it under too.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
You can't beat a Humpy in a variety of colors and sizes for mountain streams but, at least for me and others, they are not easy to tie 😵‍💫