Pontoon ?s

headduck

Steelhead
Thanks @BDD. The freestone looks like an awesome vessel and it makes me feel better knowing I would not be anywhere near the edge of capacity. I just need to decide how bad I want to lake fish and if I'd want to troll...with assistance...

Appreciate the honesty @Old Man ... who knows... may have just saved my life... now I'll need to find a float partner who has a bit patience... once I fully sort the boat...

@Bass-O-Matic Thank for taking the time to root through storage and find your pontoon... and then offer it so affordably. You rock brother.

headduck

Steelhead
@Old Man ...I wont be doing salmon cascades any time soon... winter flows are amazing... but the rest appears not to be trifled with and at min not to be underestimated... the latter I apply to all endeavors on the water, big or small.

Looks like there's some class III upstream of the hatchery and some class II in the lower sections. Sure it changes with flow rate... "you never step in the same river twice."

I assume this topic (sol duc) has been sufficiently discussed so i'll search a bit more before I begin my stupid questions.... more of them anyway...

Appreciate the advice yall.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
A note of caution. If you are going to float the Sol Duc, it would behoove you to float it with someone that has done it for a while. It isn't for a newbie in a pontoon boat. But if you have a death wish, go for it.
@Old Man ...I wont be doing salmon cascades any time soon... winter flows are amazing... but the rest appears not to be trifled with and at min not to be underestimated... the latter I apply to all endeavors on the water, big or small.
Looks like there's some class III upstream of the hatchery and some class II in the lower sections. Sure it changes with flow rate... "you never step in the same river twice."
:unsure: If you haven't floated rivers with a pontoon before, you would do well to invest in a river safety-rowing class such as this
Check with Waters West to see if anything is offered in the PA or Forks area.

headduck

Steelhead
Great idea. I checked and they dont, but they liked the idea...

I'll start slow and build... I'm pretty risk averse by nature... but you dont know what you dont know... so thanks...

SometimesIUseBait

Just Hatched

I'll start slow and build... I'm pretty risk averse by nature... but you dont know what you dont know... so thanks...

This is a great place to start. Start with something class 1 but know that moving water is deadly no matter the rating.

I also watched a bunch of these https://www.youtube.com/c/GearGarageTV videos to kinda get an idea of what I don't know. It helps to listen to experts ramble. I specifically seeked out the videos on rescues and accidents to try and get a feel for what can go wrong.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Well then try contacting Emerald Water and find out if they have any classes scheduled, and come on over & make a weekend of it.
Books and videos are no substitute for a class, but but they can help when used as a primer prior to, and refresher after taking a class.
No PFD??? :(

I have a book I bought at Half Price Books that I have read probably half and have not finished it. It is great and does cover pontoon boat techniques. It is called: FLOAT-FISHING STRATEGIES, tactics and techniques for Drift Boats, Rafts, and Pontoon Boats. By Neale Streeks. It was only $10.00 at Half Price Books but it is probably available on Amazon somewhere. It covers alot of material and worth $10.00 easily versus a rescue or accident. It talks about reading water and planning and all sorts of avoidance of problem areas and how to deal with it if it comes. Check it out. I also saw Brian Millers post about that class and I think that is a wonderful idea that I should do myself. Take care.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
These popped up after watching the Reds vid. Are also covered in the River Safety Book.

Last edited:

headduck

Steelhead

Placing for posterity. Great discussion re:river dangers, rescue, and survival.

headduck

Steelhead
Ended up with a 2nd hand never floated kamloops with 10' maxxons still shrink wrapped in the box as well as an older bucks southfork 2 from bass-o-matic.

Stoked on both of em. Different beasts, but that's a good thing.

Now to get to the lake and row til its second nature...

Thanks for the input yall.