What have you done for your boat lately?

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Next project. Relocating battery to the center console on the Whaler. The factory location in the 80s was in the stern on the deck and I want to free up some space and get the wires off the deck. Decided to go nuts and am redoing all the accessory wiring from scratch. It's a pretty basic setup and I made myself a wiring diagram of my plan. The accessory switch doesn't go to anything anymore so I might change that to be the manual bilge pump switch. Have already ripped out about half of the wiring so far. Hoping my finished wiring job will be photo worthy, my goal is to keep it simple and clean for easy troubleshooting later if ever needed.

1000000806.jpg
1000000807.png

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Took it out on the water. Umtanum to Big Pines on the Yakima. Caught nothing, but had a great time floating at least. Now I just need to learn how to actually fish well, haha.

View attachment 112282

I was about to say that I took it fishing too.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
scrub the hull
fresh marine paint over the apex of the cat hulls (previously epoxied apex of V's with 12 oz landing/skid strips)
tighten all nut and bolts on trailer
new galvanized hubs w/ bearings supposed to arrive tomorrow for installation
waiting for arrival of a 2024 Tohatsu 9.9 w/electric start and power tilt ...had a 20 hp version on the Sportcat coastside, cruised in upper 20's...fishing 10 mph lakes these days, so breaking the speed limit now likely upper teens.

Reactions: ffb

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Next project. Relocating battery to the center console on the Whaler. The factory location in the 80s was in the stern on the deck and I want to free up some space and get the wires off the deck. Decided to go nuts and am redoing all the accessory wiring from scratch. It's a pretty basic setup and I made myself a wiring diagram of my plan. The accessory switch doesn't go to anything anymore so I might change that to be the manual bilge pump switch. Have already ripped out about half of the wiring so far. Hoping my finished wiring job will be photo worthy, my goal is to keep it simple and clean for easy troubleshooting later if ever needed.

View attachment 111023
View attachment 111024
I really need to update the fuse block in my bigger boat. What I have is functional, but it's 30yrs old and I have a replacement I keep not installing. Honestly should probably just spend next fall/winter redoing the entirety of the electrical system. Super fun times as I'm sure you're learning :D

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
I really need to update the fuse block in my bigger boat. What I have is functional, but it's 30yrs old and I have a replacement I keep not installing. Honestly should probably just spend next fall/winter redoing the entirety of the electrical system. Super fun times as I'm sure you're learning :D
Yep, it's not difficult just tedious. I've also fallen down the rabbit hole of "while I have this taken apart I should do this" which has left me with half the boat taken apart at the moment. :LOL: I've at least reached the no new projects point where I am now starting to put things back together.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Yep, it's not difficult just tedious. I've also fallen down the rabbit hole of "while I have this taken apart I should do this" which has left me with half the boat taken apart at the moment. :LOL: I've at least reached the no new projects point where I am now starting to put things back together.
Yeah, my smaller boat I literally stripped to bare metal and rebuilt everything in it from wiring to flooring to all decks/platforms over this last winter. My bigger boat I've had for going on its 3rd season now, and it's been more little bits at a time. I've made several small improvements to it recently, but am saving the big necessary ones for this next winter I think. It'll still fish great this year and will see the tuna grounds multiple times.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I finally launched my drift boat for the first time a couple weeks ago after buying it off a friend of a friend more than a year ago. @ThatGuyRyRy joined and gave great pointers and moral support as I backed down my first ever boat launch, which went better than I thought it would. And we caught a good batch of stockers for crab bait.

Now I need to get my deep cycle battery charged up, attach my transducer to my trolling motor, and get back out there with some propulsion and sonar capability - we just rowed around last time. Getting anything done takes forever with two kids under two at home, but it feels really good to have gotten the boat out.