Dog Bite On Waders

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
First off, I am not using this forum for medical advice and am contacting a doctor tomorrow morning. I was hiking to a river today when someones unleashed little shiteating dog entirely unprovoked jumped up and snapped its jaws on my knee. I stupidly did not get information from the owner, mainly because in the moment, it didn't occur to me that there was something I could do in between the two extremes of "letting it go with nothing" and "calling the cops to put the thing away". Obviously she didn't offer. Somehow the teeth didn't penetrate the waders, and I have a bruise where he bit me but no puncture wound. I didn't walk past the lady until I physically checked to make sure there was no puncture wound.

Now I am a little worried about potential disease. I am aware that rabies is exceedingly rare in the US, but it also is an extraordinarily horrible way to die. There are also plenty of other diseases that can be transmitted through dogs. How much of a barrier are breathable waders? I am not sure what to describe them as to my doctor, because while they keep me dry when I wade I do know that small amounts of moisture do get through when its cold enough, which concerns me that bacteria/viral particles could as well. I probably have my waders to thank for not getting more seriously injured, definitely speaks for how well they should hold up in normal wear and tear. Simms tributaries if anyone is in the market!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Speedbird - I aree with Zak, your waders were your protection. You may have discomfort resulting from a bruise but with the waders being a giant prophylactic, you're safe.

The dog biting you is another story, his/her allowed behavior is worrisome. There's a chance the dog perceived you as a threat to his master?

Last edited:

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
In my experience the bite has to be pretty substantial. Years ago my own dog went through my hand to the bone when I broke up a fight. The area turned black but was fine till day 3 or so. Then the infection slowly made its way up my arm. We were traveling home from Oregon that day so several hours went by before stopping at an ER in Chehalis. By then I was feeling sick and the place was packed on a Saturday. Not a good day, but anyhow I've also heard general infection is the main concern with animals.

In your case I'd still report it so there's a record on file for next time.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Wow, that little rat dog woulda been tossed into the middle of the river had it bitten me.

I've been bitten by a dog and had to have rabies shots, as a kid. I don't recommend it.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Speedbird - I aree with Zak, your waders were your protection. You may have discomfort resulting from a bruise but with the waders being a giant prophylactic, you're safe.

The dog biting you is another story, his/her allowed behavior is worrisome. There's a chance the dog perceived you as a threat to his master?
I think he got spooked because me and my buddy caught up to him too quickly. We stopped so I could show him how to carry a fly rod butt forward and the dog stopped with us, he bit me when I walked past him. Probably would never happened if the lady kept him on a damn leash, which I made sure she got after that happened

cedarslug

Steelhead
Sorry you had to go through that. As a dog owner, I hate that there are so many unleashed dogs around. Be a respectful owner and leash those dogs.

Anyways, not a doctor, but you’re probably ok from rabies. If you are concerned, you should get the shots

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Ditto the comments no puncture = you'll be ok. Also on the unleashed dogs - I carry pepper spray on walks with my pup cause I don't want to permanently harm the other dogs and it's just a way to stop an attack. I'd much rather use it on their owners who often allow/encourage aggressive behavior in their pets and then take them out offleash. We have a guy in our neighborhood who likes German Shepards. He's had 2 while I've lived here, and each of them started out cute and friendly and end up psychotic barking frothing monsters. He keeps them on a leash now, but whatever he's doing it's been sad to witness the effect on the dogs. Most are uneasy around him even when the dogs are on a leash. In contrast is another dude who likes Pit Bulls. We walk past him often and his dogs are the most mellow and well behaved on a leash I've ever seen. Those Pits glance at you and your dog in passing and go on their merry way.

Last edited:

Otter

Steelhead
I am not sure what to describe them as to my doctor, because while they keep me dry when I wade I do know that small amounts of moisture do get through when its cold enough, which concerns me that bacteria/viral particles could as well.
If your waders keep you dry while wading, then moisture inside them is perspiration. Different "breathable" fabrics allow different amounts of perspiration to exit. If they're not very breathable, your perspiration doesn't pass through to the outside very well, so it can more easily condense on the inside of the waders. And people have a range of perspiration, too. I sweat easily, so I need highly breathable waders (and jackets). I see that Simms lists their Tributary waders as entry level. When I bought my first pair of waterproof-breathable waders, I did a lot of research on those fabrics and their technology. I found out that you get what you pay for. I ended up buying Simms' most expensive waders, which in those days, was their Guide model, made in USA.

Divad

Whitefish
Some shit owner always has to ruin it for the rest of us. Other communities I’ve lived in dogs off leash is the norm, interestingly those communities also have considerably less dog bite/fight interactions. Washington has higher bite/fight occurrences with more dogs on leash. I always wonder what factor motivates this most, is it poor training?

What kind of dog was it? Curious.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Some shit owner always has to ruin it for the rest of us. Other communities I’ve lived in dogs off leash is the norm, interestingly those communities also have considerably less dog bite/fight interactions. Washington has higher bite/fight occurrences with more dogs on leash. I always wonder what factor motivates this most, is it poor training?

I have some theories but won't go into them here.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I couldn't tell you but it looked like some sort of terrier mix