What Are You Eating?

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
Did you make the clam chowder?...my family on my father's side is from New England, so we always had a milk/cream based chowder...but I secretly liked Manhattan styled chowders...
Yes, made from scratch. Onion, garlic, celery, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, clam broth, red chili pepper flakes, parsley, clams. I like all forms of clam chowder. Fave is Portuguese.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yes, made from scratch. Onion, garlic, celery, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, clam broth, red chili pepper flakes, parsley, clams. I like all forms of clam chowder. Fave is Portuguese.
Thanks…I think I’m making it this week…we have decent live clams in the Seattle area. I remember visiting my grandma in MA and going to the Cape for the summer…digging up littlenecks & cherrystones to steam and make chowder

So...I researched Portuguese clam chowder and discovered it is from New England and predates the white chowder when the Portuguese came to southern MA to fish...my grandpa used to work at the naval shipyard at Fall River and I remember the Portuguese influence (but not the chowder) there. I'll make this in a few days...

Last edited:

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
Thanks…I think I’m making it this week…we have decent live clams in the Seattle area. I remember visiting my grandma in MA and going to the Cape for the summer…digging up littlenecks & cherrystones to steam and make chowder

So...I researched Portuguese clam chowder and discovered it is from New England and predates the white chowder when the Portuguese came to southern MA to fish...my grandpa used to work at the naval shipyard at Fall River and I remember the Portuguese influence (but not the chowder) there. I'll make this in a few days...
The key ingredient for the Portuguese chowder is Linguica. Second choice would be chorizo ( easier to obtain).