REMINDER TO GET APPROPRIATE FISHING LICENSES & PARKING PASSES!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I dunno if 'Ranger Bob' is an archetype or an actual individual, but in a long lifetime of outdoor activities I've yet to come across an outdoor recreation enforcement officer (and I've encountered quite a few while afield) that was anything less than professional and courteous. I suppose there are exceptions, just as in any occupation, but I'm convinced that's not their standard mode of operation.

While I certainly wish there was a more integrated approach to access permits and licensing, I'm extremely glad that enforcement is conducted, and would be happy to see even more enforcement be allocated to the protection of resources that would be rapidly plundered and poached if some sort of 'law of the commons' did not exist.

Mankind, in aggregate, has conclusively demonstrated that it's completely incapable of policing its own behavior.
"Ranger Bob" certainly isn't an example of enforcement people I've encountered in the 60 plus years I've been stompin' around the wild. I agree with you that almost every encounter with wildlife LE has been a positive encounter and one I don't mind at all. "Ranger Bob" is a name three of us came up with for a camp host at a state park. He did, literally, wear a well stretched polyester brown leisure suit, had an apparent "short guy complex, and was quite unpleasant.

For @johnnyboy - enforcement does check for Discover Passes at Sun Lakes State Park, ask @Billy. Oddly enough, I was at the giant cataract lake one day when a uniformed state park ranger came down to inspect passes (mine was current, hung from the mirror with the right numbers in indelible ink). I was taking a shore break and reached in my pocket to show her my fishing license - she wasn't interested in fishing licenses, just passes.

time to get to work

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
"Ranger Bob" certainly isn't an example of enforcement people I've encountered in the 60 plus years I've been stompin' around the wild. I agree with you that almost every encounter with wildlife LE has been a positive encounter and one I don't mind at all. "Ranger Bob" is a name three of us came up with for a camp host at a state park. He did, literally, wear a well stretched polyester brown leisure suit, had an apparent "short guy complex, and was quite unpleasant.

For @johnnyboy - enforcement does check for Discover Passes at Sun Lakes State Park, ask @Billy. Oddly enough, I was at the giant cataract lake one day when a uniformed state park ranger came down to inspect passes (mine was current, hung from the mirror with the right numbers in indelible ink). I was taking a shore break and reached in my pocket to show her my fishing license - she wasn't interested in fishing licenses, just passes.

time to get to work
Camp hosts are not real commissioned enforcement folk...they're generally more like dog show judges, Doug Niedermeyer, club presidents, retired managers and forum moderators*; people filling control issue voids in their life.

And please don't use the W word...I'm retired and it triggers a whole host of debiltating PTSD symptoms!

*Not like the wonderful moderators on this site!

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Camp hosts are not real commissioned enforcement folk...they're generally more like dog show judges, Doug Niedermeyer, club presidents, retired managers and forum moderators*; people filling control issue voids in their life.

And pease don't use the W word...I'm retired and it triggers a whole host of debiltating PTSD symptoms!

*Not like the wonderful moderators on this site!
Doug Niedermeyer!

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
All hearsay, but there was a post on one of the Puget Sound fishing FB pages from a WDFW employee last week that said electronic catch cards and licenses are coming later this year. Fingers crossed!
I purchase an annual Oregon fishing license each year and they offer both the electronic and paper versions that can be printed at home. I prefer paper because when I’m on the Deschutes where there are few places with cell reception, my phone is safely stowed in an ammo can along with the truck keys and in the bottom of the front storage compartment which is covered with a latch. I fish some high elevation lakes in NE Oregon and also don’t have cell reception there, so much prefer the hard copy.

Regarding the discussion about Ranger Bob and other WDFW enforcement encounters, in Oregon, the State Police provide enforcement. I see them far more frequently in Oregon than I do WDFW enforcement officers in this state. In fact, I can’t recall the last time I was checked in Washington. I appreciate seeing the officers in Oregon keeping folks honest and have had positive interactions with them while being checked for my license.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I purchase an annual Oregon fishing license each year and they offer both the electronic and paper versions that can be printed at home. I prefer paper because when I’m on the Deschutes where there are few places with cell reception, my phone is safely stowed in an ammo can along with the truck keys and in the bottom of the front storage compartment which is covered with a latch. I fish some high elevation lakes in NE Oregon and also don’t have cell reception there, so much prefer the hard copy.

Regarding the discussion about Ranger Bob and other WDFW enforcement encounters, in Oregon, the State Police provide enforcement. I see them far more frequently in Oregon than I do WDFW enforcement officers in this state. In fact, I can’t recall the last time I was checked in Washington. I appreciate seeing the officers in Oregon keeping folks honest and have had positive interactions with them while being checked for my license.
I get not leaving things up to chance, but the license is supposed to still work without reception, you have to make sure to load it up on your phone while you still have service, and then keep the app running in the background. Your license should stay visible when you lose reception, as long as the app has been running in the background.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Don't know about Oregon, but in most states the pay for such important positions is truly abysmal, the workload quite heavy, and the reason many positions remain unfilled.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I should mention that when I've had questions or needed clarification on some WDFW regulation I've emailed the regional headquarters and they've always responded promptly, and in considerable depth. Often the question is referred to and also answered by the specific enforcement officer for the area.

It's useful to print out and retain such email responses. WDFW enforcement officers (like all LEO's) have latitude in deciding whether a citation (and type of citation) they'll issue if encountering something they believe to be a violation, and it's quite likely your documented query and response from the department will have a significant impact upon the decisions made by the officer even if they're not the one who originally responded to your question.

And, if you have to go to court to contest a citation it's very likely the judge will consider such documentation as an important 'affirmative defense' in your favor. Poachers and other miscreants seldom contact agencies prior to their violating activity!

'Urban Legends' (bullshit) about what actually constitutes a violation abound...and I've managed to clear up (for myself anyway) a few things that I'd heard incorrectly stated by other people.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
For the second year in a row, buying my license online. I click all the appropriate boxes, go to check out, and I get a message like, "unable to process your payment at this time". When I go back to check out again, I can't get a steelhead tag. So I have to go to a license retailer, and after a bit of back and forth, I can get them to issue me a steelhead tag. I buy licenses from many states each year, and there always seems to be something with WDFW, that is always effed up.
During my 23 year in-house IT career every new software and hardware update could cost the company some $ub$tantial $$$$$ if end user productivity was negatively impacted. Every update rollout had to be preceded with notices to each department's management to get "blackout dates", any changes related to the user interface required a training schedule... I'm still kinda sensitive to software changes. That said my renewal went pretty easy.

BTW, to Veterans in WA with a service connected disability over 30%, and those over 65 with any level of SCD, my Combo license is $9.35. If you qualify but haven't signed up yet here are some details
The application process is pretty streamlined if you already have a VA letter.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Outdoor recreation is sure expensive in the new world when you're rocking an old soul and truck. I legitimately and honestly feel sorry for lower income families that have been essentially priced out of quality pastime. That really sucks.

Here is a summary of how I see the pass / access situation. The key is to understand that the state and feds don't share revenue, and therefore you need to know whose property you are trying to access. Ostensibly, the funds paid by these passes support the boat launches and other facilities at these sites.
3. Federal lands (National forests (e.g., Coldwater and Leech Lake), National parks (e.g., Mt. Rainier NP), National wildlife refuges (e.g., Ridgefield NWR, Nisqually Wildlife Refuge), Bureau of Land Management land (important for the Yakima River) may charge daily / multi-day access fees. You can purchase daily passes, but a year-long pass (America the Beautiful pass for example) allows access to any type of Federal land anywhere in the country. An annual pass is $80/yr or if you are 62+, you can purchase a lifetime pass for $80 which does not expire). Often if you are camping at a location (e.g., Dry Falls), access to the lake is included. If you are only going to access Forest Service lands, an annual North Forest pass is a cheaper option ($30/yr).
4. Chopaka Lake is interesting because there is a state section and adjacent federal section. I typically have both passes with me just in case. And if you pay for camping, your access is covered.
Steve
Also Veterans can get a free Federal lands Lifetime access pass ($10 if purchased online).
"Who is eligible to get a free Military Lifetime Pass as a veteran?
For purposes of this program, a veteran is identified as an individual who has served in the US Armed Forces, including the National Guard and Reserves. There is no application or form to fill out to receive the Military Lifetime Pass. Simply present one of the following forms of identification to get the Interagency Military Lifetime Pass when entering a national park:

Unexpired Department of Defense Identification Card (DD Form 2, DD Form 2765, or Next Generation USID replacement)
Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC)
Veteran ID Card
Veterans designation on a state-issued US driver’s license or identification card"

Divad

Whitefish
I drew the short straw. Tried online and got an error, twice at checkout. So I went to Walmart and they said they can give me a license but the catch card is erroring out on state portal. Manager tried too, no good.

So I’m going to try over the phone on their 24/7 line and if I catch a head mid week after work I’ll call Fish and Game. Recorded the incident at Walmart for proof.

Lovely.

Divad

Whitefish
Dang, the folks on the phone are getting the same error for my catch card. He said it shouldn’t be doing this and they’ll call me back hopefully tomorrow.

I definitely got the short straw.