2024 NOF

Smalma

Life of the Party
Nick -
I have no doubt that the coho CnR mortality is higher than modeled, especially in the ocean and outer straits or with the resident coho during the summer. Given that fisheries that most fisheries are limited by wild coho impacts going to a two fish limit may make biological sense, but such a move could easily result in shorter seasons. Not sure how popular such a move would be.

Wonder how some of the PS beach anglers would feel if say the wild fish impacts were used up by say the end of August.

Again, as I suggested earlier request the various alternatives be model and maybe even developing better CnR mortalities. Or the math is not the difficult one could back of the envelop model with what one assumes is a better estimate of such things as the CnR mortalities.

If there is a small group of guys that are truly concern about this issue and are willing to invest the time they should approach the State bios/modelers sometime in the summer to do a deeper dive into these issues.

Curt

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In the off chance we don't fish the quota this Blackmouth opener, where would those allocated impacts go? Would they be tacked on to a summer season?

G_Smolt

Legend
I'd like to see more study in the area of C&R sublethal impacts as well as the cumulative effects of multiple hooking events on salmonids in fresh and salt water, and at different life stages.
I feel strongly about these data being of critical importance to the future of angling where wild stocks are involved.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'd like to see more study in the area of C&R sublethal impacts as well as the cumulative effects of multiple hooking events on salmonids in fresh and salt water, and at different life stages.
I feel strongly about these data being of critical importance to the future of angling where wild stocks are involved.
Kinda funny how many people still try to tell me shakers have a 0% mortality rate with a straight face

fishbadger

Just Hatched
I know it's not practical in some peoples' boats, but I just don't net coho, hardly ever. Gaff release em, or if I'm sure it's one I'm going to harvest then I'll either net it or I'll just handline it over the rail. More often the latter. You can handline a fish over the rail pretty easily, and with the same success rate, on anything under 12 lbs or so, as long as you are using appropriate diameter leaders. Just one concise strong motion. Works for me, but of course your mileage may vary,
fb

Smalma

Life of the Party
Just looking at the hand outs for tomorrow NOF #1 meeting. Looking like a lot of work to be done; the current modeling using the 2023 insides fisheries with 2024 abundance shows Nooksack springs, Skagit summer/fall, Stillaguamish, Snohomish and mid-Hood canal Chinook all over SUS ERS.

The Snohomish coho also look to be a bit over the 40% allowed ER. It might be advantageous to check in on the meetings to protect your interests.

Curt

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just looking at the hand outs for tomorrow NOF #1 meeting. Looking like a lot of work to be done; the current modeling using the 2023 insides fisheries with 2024 abundance shows Nooksack springs, Skagit summer/fall, Stillaguamish, Snohomish and mid-Hood canal Chinook all over SUS ERS.

The Snohomish coho also look to be a bit over the 40% allowed ER. It might be advantageous to check in on the meetings to protect your interests.

Curt
Why is there such a dramatic increase in ER when the run is similar to last year?

Smalma

Life of the Party
Speedbird -
While the numbers are similar there often are differences in relevant abundances in the various fisheries which can result in a change of a few tenths which as you can be critical.

Curt

SeaRunner

Steelhead
Did I hear correctly in the call this morning that the ability of the department to provide test fishing/monitoring is a limiting factor in the department opening multiple marine areas simultaneously?

I have for a while now suspected that might be a factor, but it was always just conjecture on my part.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

fishbadger

Just Hatched
I like that they are thinking about a multitude of options, or at least giving lip service to doing so. The idea of keeping 11 (and maybe 10) closed for salmon fishing until Aug 1 is actually a very good one if the purpose is to allow harvest of ocean-returning chinook and minimize sublegal encounters. After the first week or so of July, area 11 goes dead until the ocean-goers come flooding through in August. Also, too many shakers encountered in July, whereas in August their % in the catch drops dramatically. July is a tease in areas 11 and 13, freezers are empty and everybody wants to salmon fish, but very few adult worthwhile fish to harvest, and we just burn up impact, and then shutter down right when the real fish return. You can tell my bias, I'm a boat guy who harvests chinook and feeds my family with them.
fb

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I like that they are thinking about a multitude of options, or at least giving lip service to doing so. The idea of keeping 11 (and maybe 10) closed for salmon fishing until Aug 1 is actually a very good one if the purpose is to allow harvest of ocean-returning chinook and minimize sublegal encounters. After the first week or so of July, area 11 goes dead until the ocean-goers come flooding through in August. Also, too many shakers encountered in July, whereas in August their % in the catch drops dramatically. July is a tease in areas 11 and 13, freezers are empty and everybody wants to salmon fish, but very few adult worthwhile fish to harvest, and we just burn up impact, and then shutter down right when the real fish return. You can tell my bias, I'm a boat guy who harvests chinook and feeds my family with them.
fb

I think delaying the season openers for 10 and 11 makes sense. People want to fish when they have the greatest opportunity which is later then in MA 9.
There really isn't a reason 10 needs to open at the same time as 9. As you mentioned, lower sub-legal encounters would be a good thing.
I wonder what the chinook impacts of the June coho fishery in MA 10 are. I know that June coho fishery is popular, but I wonder if folks would be willing accept a July 1st coho opener in 10, which would allow the fish to be bigger?
That option would likely be viewed as lost opportunity.
SF

Smalma

Life of the Party
SF -I agree delaying the MA 10 opener until July makes a lot sense as you point out. Additional on years like last year such a delay would slow down the catch of coho stocks of concern (Skagit last year) and limit the bag limit and/or season for coho when the ocean fish show up.

Unfortunately, that early opener is supported strongly by the charter industry. They are looking to maximize their days on the water and they seem to have little trouble selling trips for those 14 inch "salmon trout" in June.

Tallguy

Steelhead
fb
I like to jig up a few ocean kings in 11. I would vote for July 20th or so for enough of the real fish around that you might have a decent chance at one, that last July week can be pretty good. Plus I think the later the season goes, the more the fish seem to be suspended in 11, and jigging gets harder as trolling gets easier.

I also like multiple MAs open at once, spreads all the pressure out. It sucks when only one area is open and everyone goes nuts together and it turns into a gong show, which really sucks for everyone who is not trolling.

Smalma

Life of the Party
I think it is past time to consider an annual limit on Chinook in Puget Sound (MA 5 through MA 13).

We collectively shown that we can consistently catch available Chinook. A major benefit of a annual limit is that we would likely see more folks being brought into the fishery (those hard-core anglers would be looking to take others fishing). The future of fishing and the fish we target will be dependent on support having supporters.

Curt