What's in your vise?

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nah. I mean the nip nip fish are smaller fish or even fish like small crappie or perch so I don't really even factor them in. I'm pro jig hook. I love em.
I hate to sound greedy or ungrateful, but crappie are the worst. Well, unless I've been skunked or they're big. Haha!
I try to not think of the big bass I know I've missed because of hungry crappie.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Earlier rendition I tried. I tied it a little too narrow, among a few other issues. But like the concept, just need to tinker.
View attachment 102135
Maybe not too skinny. I've been noticing they are more slender in reality than I used to tie them. I've been tying the straggle stones real slender. I don't have much luck with that long a biot tail, but 1/2 it and I'd fish that for sure. The others look great too. I wonder what others think, I've just had more luck going more and more slender/sparse recently?

Attachments

• 20231216_bingo.jpg
    20231216_bingo.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 10

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Unweighted bunny marine worm,
Looking forward to seeing how the Pat Cohen mono trick works for stopping bunny from fouling.
SF

IMG_6405.jpeg

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Maybe not too skinny. I've been noticing they are more slender in reality than I used to tie them. I've been tying the straggle stones real slender. I don't have much luck with that long a biot tail, but 1/2 it and I'd fish that for sure. The others look great too. I wonder what others think, I've just had more luck going more and more slender/sparse recently?
Agreed on the biot being too long. I'll chop it down.
Probably means my tail on the other fly is too long also.

The age old question of function/does it catch fish vs "but this one looks pretty" lol.

Bug seems thin but wide. So if we really want to mimic, how do we achieve? (Wire tied on either side of hook with thin dubbing over it?)

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Aguanus-1080.jpg

Aguanus

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
This video of his explains the technique well.
Someone had mentioned it here previously. May have been @clarkman
SF

Thanks for mentioning this, and sharing the video. I knew I needed something but didn't know what, this might be it!

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Thanks for mentioning this, and sharing the video. I knew I needed something but didn't know what, this might be it!

Tom,
I hope that works for you. I’ve tried the mono loop technique he mentioned in the video and found it didn’t work all that well, so I’m looking forward to trying his technique. I used 15 lb mono on the worm pattern I posted but will bump that up if it turns out it needs to be stiffer. The tail still has nice side to side movement when dry so I’m looking forward to fishing it to see how it does in live action and if it fouls any.
SF

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Tom,
I hope that works for you. I’ve tried the mono loop technique he mentioned in the video and found it didn’t work all that well, so I’m looking forward to trying his technique. I used 15 lb mono on the worm pattern I posted but will bump that up if it turns out it needs to be stiffer. The tail still has nice side to side movement when dry so I’m looking forward to fishing it to see how it does in live action and if it fouls any.
SF
It's gonna be worth a try. Propping up the bunny with thread wraps, or putting thread wraps around it, didn't help much with the fouling I don't think. And when it wasn't fouled, short strikers. I can see the bunny works for others, so I'd like to figure it out.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Those should be deadly, Tom. Add a small conhead on a slightly longer shank and you have a "Ruby Eyed Leech".
Another good idea along with trying in the middle with the bead. Once I get going on the lakes I'll want to play with variations.