Bread Thread

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
So I know we’ve talked a lot about flour here (obviously) and ya’ll know I’m Cairnsprings number 1 fanboy. I usually order 100lbs at a time (50 of Glacier Peak and 50 of 1109) and usually expect this to last a year. I keep it in cambro containers in an unheated spot in my basement and notice 0 quality loss. Well I ran out of my GP today and I have about 8lbs of 1109 left (I feed my starter with the GP). I looked at my order to see how long this 100lbs lasted and it was nearly as long as I expected I got it the first week of May! So 100lbs lasted me 8 months!

flybill

Life of the Party
So I know we’ve talked a lot about flour here (obviously) and ya’ll know I’m Cairnsprings number 1 fanboy. I usually order 100lbs at a time (50 of Glacier Peak and 50 of 1109) and usually expect this to last a year. I keep it in cambro containers in an unheated spot in my basement and notice 0 quality loss. Well I ran out of my GP today and I have about 8lbs of 1109 left (I feed my starter with the GP). I looked at my order to see how long this 100lbs lasted and it was nearly as long as I expected I got it the first week of May! So 100lbs lasted me 8 months!
I've been using King Arthur flour pretty much exclusively for a while now. It's been on sale a lot over the holidays so I've been getting 5lb bags for $4.99. I have All Purpose, Bread Flour and some whole wheat flour. I've started putting a little whole wheat flour in when I feed my starter but mainly use AP. My starter is thriving. I keep it near the stove and cook a lot so it gets enough heat to do its thing.

Once I get back to work I'll put it in the fridge, but i.have to keep it near the front since the back of the fridge gets much colder that the front...

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I think this recipe, with my starter, wants a ferment temp in the mid 80s. I can achieve it in various ways, but really I just wish I had a fancy proofing box or pad.
I've had one of these for over a year now, and I love it.
Most of the time I just leave the dough in the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and a heavy towel over the top instead of using the box.

flybill

Life of the Party
BELLA Classic Belgian Waffle... Amazon product ASIN B0B135TLN1
I bought this off of Amazon as I only need to make one or two waffles at a time. I used all of the batter and froze the extra waffles and can pull one or just a half out of the freezer for a quick breakfast or snack 🤔!!

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I make waffles often enough for myself.
If I was feeding others, I would definitely get the dbl maker.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I've had one of these for over a year now, and I love it.
Most of the time I just leave the dough in the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and a heavy towel over the top instead of using the box.
That and the Brod & Taylor are the two I have my eye on, but we have very little disposable income at the moment so I will keep using my tea kettle method for now.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I don't use as much 1109 and use a number of whole grains. I use 30% dark rye in my starter, red fife and Amarillo from Camas Country, whole grain Expresso from Cairnspring, Edison AP from Cairnspring.

It took me 10 months to get through my last 50 lb bag of glacier peak, but I estimate I went through another 30 pounds of the assortment above in that time as well. I did feel like my doughs lost a little bit of strength as I got to the end of the bag, but no flavor difference. I store mine in the same manner as you.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't use as much 1109 and use a number of whole grains. I use 30% dark rye in my starter, red fife and Amarillo from Camas Country, whole grain Expresso from Cairnspring, Edison AP from Cairnspring.

It took me 10 months to get through my last 50 lb bag of glacier peak, but I estimate I went through another 30 pounds of the assortment above in that time as well. I did feel like my doughs lost a little bit of strength as I got to the end of the bag, but no flavor difference. I store mine in the same manner as you.
Interesting!

Almost all my “basic” loaves and pizza are all 50/50 1109 and GP.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Interesting!

Almost all my “basic” loaves and pizza are all 50/50 1109 and GP.
If you ever want to mix it up, check out the Amarillo. It's gold in color and has an excellent buttery, nutty flavor.

My standard loaf right now is 75% GP, 12.5% 1109, 12.5% Amarillo

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
If you ever want to mix it up, check out the Amarillo. It's gold in color and has an excellent buttery, nutty flavor.

My standard loaf right now is 75% GP, 12.5% 1109, 12.5% Amarillo
Sounds fantastic.

Don’t get me wrong I mix it up. Right now my new favorite is 90 % GP/1109 and 10% buckwheat with a shit ton of sunflower seeds. I have it proofing now. So good.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Ok, so with this loaf, I did the bulk fermentation for about 11 hours at room temp. The dough had doubled and was full of bubbles and jiggly. So when I dumped it out to preshape, I found it very sticky and slack. I preshaped it and rested it for 15 minutes. I then attempted to shape it but it was very slack and sticky. After messing with it for several minutes I let it rest for another 15 minutes and then spent several more minutes trying to shape it. I finally felt like it was getting it into a good shape and got it to the banneton and now into the fridge for final overnight proof. Is the stickiness a sign of under fermentation? The gluten seemed well developed and I could stretch it quite thin. We will see results tomorrow I guess.

Reactions: Zak

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ok, so with this loaf, I did the bulk fermentation for about 11 hours at room temp. The dough had doubled and was full of bubbles and jiggly. So when I dumped it out to preshape, I found it very sticky and slack. I preshaped it and rested it for 15 minutes. I then attempted to shape it but it was very slack and sticky. After messing with it for several minutes I let it rest for another 15 minutes and then spent several more minutes trying to shape it. I finally felt like it was getting it into a good shape and got it to the banneton and now into the fridge for final overnight proof. Is the stickiness a sign of under fermentation? The gluten seemed well developed and I could stretch it quite thin. We will see results tomorrow I guess.
Possibly over fermented? 11 hours is awhile? I proofed 2 loaves today for about 8-9 hours. The first half on the counter, and the second half I put it in the oven with the light on because i felt like it was going real slow. I potentially also over fermented.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Possibly over fermented? 11 hours is awhile? I proofed 2 loaves today for about 8-9 hours. The first half on the counter, and the second half I put it in the oven with the light on because i felt like it was going real slow. I potentially also over fermented.
The recipe from King Arthur suggested 12 hours at 72 degrees, I am at 70 in my house. It’s the longest fermentation I have done though.