What Are You Eating?

flybill

Life of the Party
Trying out a hollandaise sauce from Knor. It's good and I would have it as a backup but will make it from scratch next time. Just fried eggs, I know how to poach an egg but was lazy and no bread! Tasty!!
20231221_060851.jpg

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Brute,

In your post #1360, how is your brocolli cooked? Sauteed? We've only steamed it, so am curious about other methods, so long as it doesn't get over cooked. We don't care for mushy vegetables, except mashed potatoes. Those were roasted potatoes in your picture, right? And what cut of meat did you pound with a hammer? And what did you put on it? It looks like sausage gravy, same as in biscuits and gravy.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Brute,

In your post #1360, how is your brocolli cooked? Sauteed? We've only steamed it, so am curious about other methods, so long as it doesn't get over cooked. We don't care for mushy vegetables, except mashed potatoes. Those were roasted potatoes in your picture, right? And what cut of meat did you pound with a hammer? And what did you put on it? It looks like sausage gravy, same as in biscuits and gravy.
Broccoli?
Get it with long stems
Peel
Slice longitudinally - you want a lot of surface area
Peel and cook several cloves of garlic in oil. Remove garlic once totally browned
Set aside
Add broccoli to oil, season with sea salt and turmeric and cook until well browned on each side
Add back garlic
Done
Very good

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Brute,

Broccolini...tossed in a bowl with olive oil, salt & pepper...thrown onto a sheet pan or oven proof skillet into a preheated oven 400 degrees for 15 minutes...

Yes, roasted fingerlings halved tossed with olive oil, herbs de provence salt & pepper, cut side down in same oven, same temp...30 minutes.

Eye of the round steak...

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Brute,

And what color shirt were you wearing? Holy crap, are you fixin' to write a book?

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
And what color shirt were you wearing? Holy crap, are you fixin' to write a book?
Hey, wait a minute! In case you haven't noticed, Brute posts a lot of food photos. And a lot of them look pretty tasty and tempting. I have a very limited repertoire of foods I prepare, and good as they are, I have to admit that, at times, it feels sorta' hum drum, not to mention repetitive. I grew up with every dinner being a variation of meat, potatoes, vegetable, and salad. I pretty much incorporated that into my adult life. So learning to make a few more dishes is a good thing for me.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hey, wait a minute! In case you haven't noticed, Brute posts a lot of food photos. And a lot of them look pretty tasty and tempting. I have a very limited repertoire of foods I prepare, and good as they are, I have to admit that, at times, it feels sorta' hum drum, not to mention repetitive. I grew up with every dinner being a variation of meat, potatoes, vegetable, and salad. I pretty much incorporated that into my adult life. So learning to make a few more dishes is a good thing for me.
Roasted veggies is a big time saver…just put them in at their respective cooking times at the same temp to come out of the oven at the same time

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
You and me both Salmo. It was the way of the world in mid century America. a product of the times.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Nothin' wrong with meat and taters...
🙂
Unless you lived in an area with lots of different ethnic groups back then, may not have even been exposed to all the different foods and had a chance to try them.
Julia Child was the only cooking show in those days that I can recall.
Now there's an entire network.
The internet has more recipes that you'll ever cook...so when I feel like greek food, I just look at what I have in the larder, type those ingredients into a search engine and add 'Greek'.
Bingo....more choices than I can use.

flybill

Life of the Party
Roasted veggies is a big time saver…just put them in at their respective cooking times at the same temp to come out of the oven at the same time
Or BBQ the veggies, if you're having a steak or fish. I love bbqed asparagus, with some olive oil and salt and pepper, corn is easy and brussel sprouts on the grill. Finish with some balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. The last one you could google, but all are simple. Just wing it.

Also foil packs of potatoes, mushrooms and onions are easy. Salt, pepper, olive oil and butter. You can add garlic or garlic powder or something spicy!

A lot of times the veggies take more time than the meat, not including resting a steak or roast. So I usually start with the veggies or foil packs and then the protien!

Cheers!

Reactions: Zak

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

My hack for roasted veggies like Brussels sprouts, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots etc is to toss them in a gallon zip lock bag, add olive oil and a bag of dry Lipton onion soup. Shake well to coat them and then onto the pan. Taste great, super simple and easy.
SF