NFR Trucks?

Non-fishing related
Nissan Frontier
I recently looked at a 2023 Frontier Pro4X with about 12,000 miles on it thinking it might be a viable replacement for my Tacoma. I know a lot of people have great experiences with Frontiers, but it really didn't speak to me. The amount of surface rust on the driveshaft was absurd, my Tacoma has 300,000 miles on it and is almost 20 years old and the driveshaft is in better shape. Also, the amount of RTV sealant that had oozed out of housing joints on the transfer case and transmission housing was crazy. It just reeked of sloppiness. I know that Nissan had a huge recall for installing new parking pawls in these transmissions, so maybe it was sloppy work by a tech and not by the factory but I'm not willing to find out. In general, it just didn't seem as robust as the Tacoma.

The 10-speed transmission was odd to say the least. Very slow to accelerate and made some odd shifts on a short test drive. The visibility was pretty bad too, the handle that's high on the B pillar was very distracting from my seating position. The two things that everyone gripes about on the Frontier, stiff steering and wide turning radius did not bother me...go figure! It's not a bad little truck, but just didn't really sell itself to me.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
a 1997 manual 4Runner with 217,000 miles. So, I'll be selling that privately.
You should have no trouble selling this. Those 3rd gen 4runners go forever if you want them to and there is still a demand out there.

SSPey

loco alto!
Consumer reports ranks the last model Tundra (2007-2021) as the most reliable full sized truck of that era

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What's the reason for the pickup? Do you plan on hauling things on a regular basis that are bigger than the backspace of an suv?
A few years ago I was looking hard at what to do and it was cheaper and just more practical to buy myself a 5x8 trailer for $1500 bucks with 3500 towing capacity. Grease the bearings and check the tires. Way cheaper all the way around with no motor or other moving parts to replace at a very high shop rate.

Ymmv.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Consumer reports ranks the last model Tundra (2007-2021) as the most reliable full sized truck of that era
Depends which "report" you look at. Others have GM, some have Ford.

SSPey

loco alto!
Are there other data-driven, long term reliability reports? Do you know others? I’m interested. Not JD Powers 1 yr stuff.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Minor correction: I have the extended cab, not the crew cab. Kids are grown so it’s only me, and sometimes 1 other, or dog.
A friend had a Tundra and got nearly the same mileage as I do. My Tacoma at least isn’t a great mileage ride. Think I average around 19 in Seattle, and 22 or better on the road. I don’t nurse the pedal.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Considering a low mileage late model truck or SUV, so have question for those with experience or knowledge.
Been reading about lifter failure in the Chevy/GMC 5.3 engines due to their cylinder deactivation, any have personal experience with it?
And regarding the reliability of the Ford 3.5 Ecoboost, which apparently have issues once they start piling on the miles?
opinions welcomed

I own an ecoboost. It's fine. However it gets shit mileage. Ford should be hung based on the over representation of the eco part. The boost they got right. The eco is non existent. If I were to buy a truck today of the f150 variety it would be a V8 and it would get better mileage than the 3.5.

As far as ultimate fishing rigs and cool work rigs go my current favourite is the 7.3 diesel ford excursion. It gets better mileage than the 3.5 and is indestructible. I find it completely ironic the Sierra club protested it while it's smaller and more efficient than the super crew 3.5 ecoboost. Plus there's no sketchy boards and quality issues with it's era of production. In fact they are increasing in value as folks are figuring out the hard way the total lack of quality control with COVID era production truck's.

We need to get back to making actual trucks. I don't need heated seats and luxury car finish. I want tough, dependable, servicable, and capable.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Real world mpg for the 3.5l f-150 has been 16 mpg. No where near their advertising. I have tried various shenanigans including driving like a grandma and it always ends up around 16.

I'm under 14 with a load and mixed woods driving. Criminal misrepresentation in my opinion. Could have had a V8 for more longevity and better mileage. Less cost as well.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So far everyone is discussing trucks. @SurfnFish also included SUV as an option. He would need to look at how often a truck is really necessary for his activities. If I had to do it all over again I would go the SUV route. Short-beds are just that ---> come up short IMHO. Except for getting some loose material e.g. bark or trip to dump, a SUV would be more than satisfactory to suit my needs. Having more room for people and equal amount to haul stuff makes sense. Just some food for thought...

Problem is most SUV S are simply larger fragile cars. Finding the ones that are trucks and up to the job are the minority of situations.

Reactions: RCF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I own an ecoboost. It's fine. However it gets shit mileage. Ford should be hung based on the over representation of the eco part. The boost they got right. The eco is non existent. If I were to buy a truck today of the f150 variety it would be a V8 and it would get better mileage than the 3.5.

As far as ultimate fishing rigs and cool work rigs go my current favourite is the 7.3 diesel ford excursion. It gets better mileage than the 3.5 and is indestructible. I find it completely ironic the Sierra club protested it while it's smaller and more efficient than the super crew 3.5 ecoboost. Plus there's no sketchy boards and quality issues with it's era of production. In fact they are increasing in value as folks are figuring out the hard way the total lack of quality control with COVID era production truck's.

We need to get back to making actual trucks. I don't need heated seats and luxury car finish. I want tough, dependable, servicable, and capable.
Speak for yourself. I love my heated seats.

flybill

Life of the Party
I had my 2000 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 4wd for years, and loved it up to the time I wrecked it, or was actually hit one night by an idiot. The damage was more than the truck was worth. It had over 150k miles on it and I would still be driving it if it was around. Had a hand me down Toyota Highlander, moneypit.. when the engine blew and the shop said it would $8k for a rebuilt engine, I said hell no. Unfortunately I had put new tires on it and other money. Wish I would have just skipped it. Not because it was a Toyota, my third one, my second car was a Toyota SR5, 2 door and a fun car that I drove into the ground, before I bought the Tacoma.

I recently looked at a 2012 Subaru Outback with 100k miles and super clean, I currently have a 2018 Kia Soul which gets fantastic gas milage btw. It's only 2wd though and honestly while it drives great, was a vehicle I got just when I needed one.

For truck I'm mainly interested in the Chevy Colorado or a F150 (although with the mpg on this one, maybe not) and some SUV's. The Outback interests me the most, maybe a Nisson Xtera.. but I'm not going to replace my Kia until next year, probably in the Fall at the earliest. Still it never pays to keep an eye out for a good used one!

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes , some people long for those vapor locking , less than 100k longevity vehicles , along with the drum brakes , carburetors , points , all that good stuff you keep fixing , ya the good old days . 😄

You've either never owned one or fear the wrench unreasonably. And they were injected for the better part of that decade anyway and I've never heard of one packing up at 100k. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest mechanical is not your strong suit.

RCF

Life of the Party
Problem is most SUV S are simply larger fragile cars. Finding the ones that are trucks and up to the job are the minority of situations.
Agreed.

What is it going to be used for a vast large majority of the time? For example putting your tools and lockbox in a SUV would not work well. Going to a lumber store periodically, SUV's will work just fine. For a DIY weekend warrior I could argue both ways. A truck with a canopy (depending on the canopy) seriously reduces how the bed can be used. If I needed a truck a lot an 8' bed would be a better choice IMHO than a 4' - 5.5' bed. As someone suggested above a SUV with a trailer might be the answer due to a lot of flexibility. Also if one is tall, like me at 6'4", most SUV's just are hard to get into and are not comfortable.

So it really depends on one's needs.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Agreed.

What is it going to be used for a vast large majority of the time? For example putting your tools and lockbox in a SUV would not work well. Going to a lumber store periodically, SUV's will work just fine. For a DIY weekend warrior I could argue both ways. A truck with a canopy (depending on the canopy) seriously reduces how the bed can be used. If I needed a truck a lot an 8' bed would be a better choice IMHO than a 4' - 5.5' bed. As someone suggested above a SUV with a trailer might be the answer due to a lot of flexibility. Also if one is tall, like me at 6'4", most SUV's just are hard to get into and are not comfortable.

So it really depends on one's needs.

A crossover really would handle a vast majority of people just fine. But Americans love to over gun on vehicles. I mean sure a lifted 4runner with a winch is a perfect urban grocery getter. Oh and those fake bead locks, necessary.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
All good stuff.
Being long legged (formerly 6'3 and slowly shrinking) driver seat legroom always an issue.
The Tundra I checked out felt a bit cramped at 41.2" of legroom, whereas both Ford and Chevy have 44".
Haven't owned a truck since the 80's, having gone through 4 Tahoes and two Suburbans including my current 04' with only 110K on it and well maintained.
Huge fan of the safety gear on wife's 2020 Forester, however, not getting any quicker/more alert with age, so time for a newer ride with what are standard safety offerings on the newer models
An 18' - 19' Highlander (the 44" legroom was shortened to 41.5" starting in 2020, go figure) high on the list for it's manners and legroom, don't really need the off road capabiities of a 4Runner, and Highlander is more spacious inside. It's 8" of ground clearence pretty much the acceptable mnimum, and the Toy 3.5 is an excellent engine, plenty of grunt.
Big fan of wife's 08' Sienna, we put a 100K on it, never spent a dime on it other than the usual. If Toyota came to their senses they would put out a Sienna with a mildly higher lift than their current AWD and more rugged trim, ala Subuaru Northwest Editions, and they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. As it is, their current AWD version would be a bottom scraper for some of the launch ramps I use.
Regarding the 3.5 Eco, had read on a Ford forum about turbo issues after 150K, not unusual on any turbo engines.

Last edited: