Rain

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Caught a break between storms and got up there to check it. The hole at the bottom of the bucket was packed with muddy gunk. I’m surprised any water got through.

It took 20 minutes of dicking with a heavy fiberglass extension ladder for 30 seconds of work with a bent wire, but now I’m back in business!View attachment 93168
I got tired of having to get up on a ladder to service my Acurite all in one sensor so I it put on a 4' length copper pipe on the SW corner of my 2nd story deck railing. The wind sensor is affected by our "forest" that starts about 75 feet to the south and to the NE by the house. But the rain gauge is accurate today to within 0.16" of a NOAA station 5 miles NNE of us; I'm OK with that.
1701798875739.png

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Any preliminary thoughts from the resident knowers of things on impacts to redds on our major river systems? I know we’re yet to see water levels crest, so maybe it’s too early to say.
Redd scour occurs at high river flows. As the river rises, the water gets deeper and moves faster. Depth and velocity directly affect redd scour. Pink salmon dig the shallowest redds in the smallest gravel, generally. If flows reach flood stage, which I think is 28' on the Skagit, pink salmon redds will experience over 98% egg mortality. The 2025 run will be reduced accordingly. Chum salmon also take a big hit from floods, but many of them have not yet spawned, so that helps. And chum often seek out side channels that shelter them from the brunt of high river flows.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

RCF

Life of the Party
Ever had any flooding issue there like some other local lakes have experienced in the past?
SF

A number of years ago when it rained for 30+ days in a row I got very worried. Lake came up almost 2' in elevation. Another 6" and it would be at my basement door. The only outlet is thru my property to a 15" pipe under the gravel road. If I can survive that, no worries any more...

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Redd scour occurs at high river flows. As the river rises, the water gets deeper and moves faster. Depth and velocity directly affect redd scour. Pink salmon dig the shallowest redds in the smallest gravel, generally. If flows reach flood stage, which I think is 28' on the Skagit, pink salmon redds will experience over 98% egg mortality. The 2025 run will be reduced accordingly. Chum salmon also take a big hit from floods, but many of them have not yet spawned, so that helps. And chum often seek out side channels that shelter them from the brunt of high river flows.
Current forecast is for 35’ on the Skagit, eek.
17A4B1AC-8D68-455B-BD1B-EF56CC43C19D.png

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
If it had stayed cold like the start of this event, we would be in better shape.
All this rain with warm temps on top of the snow is not a good combo.
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Saturday's rain looks to colder than this round, so maybe that will help things a bit.

RCF

Life of the Party

With December being one our wettest months, and timing with salmon spawning, this discussion seems to come up a lot. I am surprised we still the salmon runs we do albeit not as good as they should be...

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Not looking good in Granite Falls.
SF

flybill

Life of the Party
Ben Howard on the Sky an hour ago! And it's supposed to keep raining! Posted a thread.. could have posted here but forgot about this thread!20231205_122547.jpg

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Ben Howard on the Sky an hour ago! And it's supposed to keep raining! Posted a thread.. could have posted here but forgot about this thread!View attachment 93695

Any naked women with a blanket wrapped around them running around there?
SF

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
20220108_101334.jpg
Lake House is gonna get wet.
Neighbor says it's higher than this photo from a few years ago.
I will be out there to cry/clean up this weekend.
Sure is nice to be at water level til the water level is the same as your kitchen floor.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
View attachment 93707
Lake House is gonna get wet.
Neighbor says it's higher than this photo from a few years ago.
I will be out there to cry/clean up this weekend.
Sure is nice to be at water level til the water level is the same as your kitchen floor.

Is there a natural outlet at your lake or could a drainage pipe be plugged with debris?
Hope you don’t sustain any major damage!
SF

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
This
This flood seems eerily similar to 2021 on the Skagit, possibly a little less. Pink run remained bonkers this year, so heres hoping.

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
index.php
VideoCapture_20231205-151554.jpg

Creek is a bit high.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20231205-151321.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231205-151321.jpg
    775.3 KB · Views: 99

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Is there a natural outlet at your lake or could a drainage pipe be plugged with debris?
Hope you don’t sustain any major damage!
SF

It's kind of funny, there is a sump pump right next to my foundation that pumps it back into the lake, which in reality when it's flooding is about 2 ft below the water level. Lol. Great engineering.