Backyard Wildlife

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
The local deer trot by my home-office window daily.
Color me jealous. What wonderful photo opportunities to have at home.

Jim F.

Jim F.

Not what I expected to see on my walk . . .
Porky.JPG

Jim F.

Pretty small for Beaver. I'd say it's what I posted above - Porcupine.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Was cleaning up a slash pile and staking out the house on the property today, when an entire herd of blacktail tromped right through where our future kitchen will be. Zoom in on the center two firs.

Screenshot_20231118_183033_Gallery.jpg

Later took a break to remind myself why almost 2 years in permits will be worth it. Checked out a suggestion from a buddy to build a viewing deck on the top of the slope. Think this spot about 80' to the right of the maple in the above shot should work.

Screenshot_20231118_183053_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
While most of the birds flitting through the trees and shrubs outside my home office window are small birds: chickadees and juncos, the occasional large bird bursts by as well. Most of these are robins or Northern flickers, but some birds pass by and then beyond my line of sight as blurs, that I’m never really sure who they are.
Well, today I could be sure of who one of these flashes was: an immature Cooper’s Hawk. I first saw it just about lunch time when it landed in a lower branch of a Douglas fir, about 20 feet off the ground; it scanned the area for a minute or two before zooming off toward the bird feeder. Camera in hand, I rushed over to the bird feeder but it wasn’t there.
About an hour later, it again perched on the same lower branch.
A01CoopersHawkImmatureInTree7692.jpg
It then dropped down onto the top of a patch of salal.
A02CoopersHawkImmatureInSalal7700.jpg
There had been spotted towhees in that patch earlier. It repositioned itself deeper in the pile to reconnoiter.
A03CoopersHawkImmatureInSalal7710.jpg
Then it flashed to the edge of the salal patch to see if something had been scared out.
A04CoopersHawkImmatureOnGround7714.jpg
Then, it was up into a short shrub and then off.
Steve

Jim F.

Another little beggar.Beggar.JPG