Bamboo Rod ID

I like using a somewhat heavier reel on longer bamboo rods like your 8642. The heavier weight makes the rod feel lighter when casting it. I'd recommend a reel that weighs between 4oz - 6oz. If you can reel with your right hand, the vintage Hardy's, Dingley's, Youngs are as cool as you'd ever want. Carlin LL8663h & JW Young St George.jpg

I reel left handed so I don't fish the old vintage reels but the Leland Classic looks vintage which I like a lot. E Fork Cutt & Heddon #60.jpg

The 1990's Lamson's have a great classic look: Carlin SH8363h & Yakima River Rainbow.jpg

The Sage 106 reels are made in England, have very smooth drags, have perfect heft for bamboo, are very well built and cost around $100 or less.

The Hardy-made Scientific Anglers System 6 and System 7 look great on bamboo and are essentially a Hardy Marquis branded by Scientific Anglers. IMG_0390.jpg

If you like that look, I also like fishing the old, low quality Japanese made "Hardy Clones" made by one factory but sold under at least a half dozen different brand names. They are loud, heavy and honestly fall apart, but they cost maybe $60 and look really good on bamboo. Look for Heddon 320, Daiwa, Berkeley, and about 3 or 4 more brands.

Ron Raport 2022.jpg

Last edited:
You’ve got two spools…..did you find the frames?
Not sure how I missed that one! Unfortunately, I only have the spools
I like using a somewhat heavier reel on longer bamboo rods like your 8642. The heavier weight makes the rod feel lighter when casting it. I'd recommend a reel that weighs between 4oz - 6oz. If you can reel with your right hand, the vintage Hardy's, Dingley's, Youngs are as cool as you'd ever want. I reel left handed so I don't fish the old vintage reels but the Leland Classic looks vintage which I like a lot. The Sage 106 reels are made in England, have very smooth drags, have perfect heft for bamboo, are very well built and cost around $100 or less. The Hardy-made Scientific Anglers System 6 and System 7 look great on bamboo and are essentially a Hardy Marquis branded by Scientific Anglers. If you like that look, I also like fishing the old, low quality Japanese made "Hardy Clones" made by one factory but sold under at least a half dozen different brand names. They are loud, heavy and honestly fall apart, but they cost maybe $60 and look really good on bamboo. Look for Heddon 320, Daiwa, Berkeley, and about 3 or 4 more brands. They look like this:

View attachment 92325
I've never tried reeling with my right hand but I'd imagine it would be awkward for me. Thanks for the recommendations, I like all of those! I'll see what I can find on eBay auctions and go from there most likely. Probably pretty difficult to find just the frames for the Pflueger spools I have.

The Lamson reels shown above are from the 90's. They are the LP series. A LP2 reel is 3 1/8 in diameter and weighs 4 3/4 ounces. It is designed for 5 and 6 weight lines. Switches between left and right hand retrieve quickly. The drag is smooth. They are built like a tank.

I have 3 LP2's reels and nine spools. I bought them new in early 90's and have never had a problem. They come up for sale all the time. Rich Archuleta in Grants Pass OR. repairs them if there ever is a need.

I like using a somewhat heavier reel on longer bamboo rods like your 8642. The heavier weight makes the rod feel lighter when casting it. I'd recommend a reel that weighs between 4oz - 6oz. If you can reel with your right hand, the vintage Hardy's, Dingley's, Youngs are as cool as you'd ever want. View attachment 92331

I reel left handed so I don't fish the old vintage reels but the Leland Classic looks vintage which I like a lot. View attachment 92329

The 1990's Lamson's have a great classic look: View attachment 92330

The Sage 106 reels are made in England, have very smooth drags, have perfect heft for bamboo, are very well built and cost around $100 or less.

The Hardy-made Scientific Anglers System 6 and System 7 look great on bamboo and are essentially a Hardy Marquis branded by Scientific Anglers. View attachment 92332

If you like that look, I also like fishing the old, low quality Japanese made "Hardy Clones" made by one factory but sold under at least a half dozen different brand names. They are loud, heavy and honestly fall apart, but they cost maybe $60 and look really good on bamboo. Look for Heddon 320, Daiwa, Berkeley, and about 3 or 4 more brands.

View attachment 92325
I've got a Hardy St. John that would probably balance that quite well.. but I'm hanging onto it! Love me a Hardy! Need to get a Perfect or two!

Back