shrimp patterns

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
It is the hard part. It's also the part the fish look at the most. We all know flies ride with the most bulk seeking the top side. A shrimp is by nature shaped the opposite. But let's really look at shrimp. I mean let's eat these mushrooms and really trip out watching shrimp. Did you see it? When they really wanna move all that stuff folds up and they go for it. Therefore you need a fly that does the same. I like pliable materials that fold out underneath when at rest. When I strip I want them to collapse and allow the fly to ride upright. I don't want a spinning shrimp. They don't do that. At any rate it's something to think about when making shrimp flies. As always less is more and sparse moves most and looks most convincing.
Use wide gaped hooks and use stacked mono (appropriate for hook size) and/or wire, lead, lead-free lashed (vertically or pyramidal like) to the underside of hook…build your body below.

Last edited:

flybill

Life of the Party
I was about to start the same thread topic! Glad I noticed it! @Paige Don't you have a good shrimp pattern?

I know Yard tied some up, but have no idea where he is these days...

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Recipe? Beautiful! I would eat that if I was swimming by!
I used a bump of simi seal dubbing at the back of the hook, sparse white bucktail, two strands of crystal flash, two eyes I made with mono, epoxy and small glass bead, arctic wind dubbing body, bigger mallard palmered open, small silver wire counter wrapped, small mallard feather palmered tight at the tip of the fly