Rain

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Pouring buckets of rain all last night and all day today, 55 degrees maybe, wasn't enough light to cast a shadow, windy, sloppy roads and ditches filling with water...mud returns to all dirt covered areas.

In short, a perfect day for stonedfish.
🤣

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
We've gotten 1.26" of much needed rain so far here on the Oregon Coast. We're going to head out in a couple of hours and try to entice a tidewater chinook to eat a clouser or a comet.

Good luck Bob!
Looks like we can officially put a end to the hot, crap weather of summer.
Yesterday was great, even for a Monday. 😂 Fall is finally here.….the best season.
SF

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Good luck Bob!
Looks like we can officially put a end to the hot, crap weather of summer.
Yesterday was great, even for a Monday. 😂 Fall is finally here.….the best season.
SF
Thanks Brian and amen to that! We're dealing with the periodic howling southerlies down here so will be a limited on where we can effectively fish.

I am liking the wettish 16 day precip outlook:

1695731398813.png

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
1.5” since last night at 7pm on my gauge.
Screenshot_20230926_061951_My AcuRite.jpg
Southwest of Puyallup. The River was running a rich caramel color when I passed over it yesterday.

A tailwater and a couple of freestone streams I've been (im)patiently waiting to fish delayed by low water and now recovery from surgery for another week.
Screenshot_20230926_064818_riverflowsnet.jpg
Screenshot_20230926_063215_riverflowsnet.jpg
Screenshot_20230926_064501_riverflowsnet.jpg

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
We’re on track for a normal Sept rainfall total on the WA north coast with a bit more coming this week. Still, with the record low flows as a baseline, I think we’re going to need a good bit more to get the Quill system open. Before this rain, the Sol Duc was literally shin deep (or less) all the way across behind our place.

Going to keep my rain dances going.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
We’re on track for a normal Sept rainfall total on the WA north coast with a bit more coming this week. Still, with the record low flows as a baseline, I think we’re going to need a good bit more to get the Quill system open. Before this rain, the Sol Duc was literally shin deep (or less) all the way across behind our place.

Going to keep my rain dances going.

Are they not open for gamefish? Used to have tons of fun fishing for searuns up there at this time of year even on low water years.
SF

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Are they not open for gamefish? Used to have tons of fun fishing for searuns up there at this time of year even on low water years.
SF
The Quilleute and tributaries have been closed to all fishing since mid-July. Sea-run fishing can be really fun this time of year in that system, especially lower down. Combo coho/sea-run floats are a favorite of mine. Hoping for enough rain to get to do that this year.

Last year we were closed all October due to a very dry fall and the rivers completely blew out two days before they opened in early Nov…

Mossback

Forum Supporter
The sea run fishing can be good from late August on some years. Fun times with the 5 wt.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
Up to 57⁰ and raining out here...
Probably getting a bit warm for stonedfish.
Over 2" since Monday.
Over it now, please return to our regularly scheduled nice Fall weather.
Marine layer followed by afternoon sunbreaks and lower 60's.
:)

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Ha! Someone is watching this forum... Just hit my inbox. Stoked!

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
September 26, 2023

Quillayute system reopens to fishing beginning Oct. 1

Action: Reopens fishing in the Quillayute system under permanent rules.
Effective date: October 1, 2023.
Species affected: All species.
Rules: Fisheries reopen with rules as described in the 2023/24 Washington State Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet.
Locations opening under permanent rules:
  • Bogachiel River (Clallam County), including all tributaries, from the mouth upstream to the Olympic National Park boundary.
  • Calawah River (Clallam County), including all tributaries, from the mouth upstream to the Olympic National Park boundary.
  • Calawah River, North Fork (Clallam County), including all tributaries, from the mouth upstream.
  • Calawah River, South Fork (Clallam County), from the mouth upstream to the Olympic National Park boundary.
  • Dickey River (Clallam County), including all tributaries, from the Olympic National Park boundary upstream.
  • Dickey River, East and West forks (Clallam County), including all tributaries, from the mouth upstream.
  • Quillayute River (Clallam County), from Olympic National Park boundary upstream to confluence of Sol Duc and Bogachiel rivers.
  • Sitkum River (Clallam County), including all tributaries, from the mouth upstream.
  • Sol Duc River (Clallam County), including all tributaries, from the mouth upstream to the Olympic National Park boundary.
  • Thunder Creek (Clallam County), including all tributaries, from the mouth upstream.
Reason for action: Low hatchery rack returns of spring/summer Chinook to the Sol Duc Hatchery prompted a fishing closure July 15. As of Sept. 21, the hatchery has reached approximately 70% of the Chinook broodstock goal. Broodstock collection is now sufficient to allow for fall fishing opportunities listed in the 2023/24 Washington State Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
There is a guy on FB who does some cool stuff on Whidbey Island weather. His name is Johnatan Pulley.
He just posted this. It kind of illustrates my frustrations with the wind forecasts. You look at the different models and they are all different. The next front approaching is expected to hit Washington according to the European model but NW Oregon according to the NAM model.
Either way, it looks like a pretty substantial system.
SF

IMG_4895.jpeg

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
There is a guy on FB who does some cool stuff on Whidbey Island weather. His name is Johnatan Pulley.
He just posted this. It kind of illustrates my frustrations with the wind forecasts. You look at the different models and they are all different. The next front approaching is expected to hit Washington according to the European model but NW Oregon according to the NAM model.
Either way, it looks like a pretty substantial system.
SF

View attachment 83653
I'll take door #2 please!