Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Had a visitor inside our office today.
SF

IMG_4300.jpeg

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I won’t have guessed they eat berries or cherries. They need to pick up the rabbit harvest end of things. 😉
SF

I used to bird watch at a natural area in Kent that has a paved trail lined with Nootka rose. During prime rose hip season (late fall/early winter) the trail is loaded with coyote scat entirely comprised of rose hips. If you’ve ever peeled apart a rose hip you know how they are mostly seed inside with a small flesh to seed ratio. It’s always surprised me that coyotes would choose to gorge on these, especially given the fact that there is a large natural area there with plenty of rabbit/rodents most likely available.

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
I used to bird watch at a natural area in Kent that has a paved trail lined with Nootka rose. During prime rose hip season (late fall/early winter) the trail is loaded with coyote scat entirely comprised of rose hips. If you’ve ever peeled apart a rose hip you know how they are mostly seed inside with a small flesh to seed ratio. It’s always surprised me that coyotes would choose to gorge on these, especially given the fact that there is a large natural area there with plenty of rabbit/rodents most likely available.
A lot easier to gorge on rose hips that don't move than rabbits that do.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
SHD - That is a nice area to see birds. I saw a red shouldered hawk there one year. You can also find owl pellets under the observation towers.

Falcons like the waterfowl around the area.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
C17 me thinks.

Yup. It's a C-17.

Those things are amazingly quiet for how big they are and how much they can lift. You barely hear them unless they are flying away from you and the jet nozzles are pointed in your general direction. Even then they are much quieter than a typical airliner.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
I saw a small group of deer in an unusual place yesterday; in the little grassy shrubby patch of ground contained within the SE corner of the I-405/SR167/Rainer Ave S cloverleaf. There may have been an adult and 1-2 young. I didn't get a real good look nor have time to stop for photos, but it sure seemed like an odd spot for them.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I saw a small group of deer in an unusual place yesterday; in the little grassy shrubby patch of ground contained within the SE corner of the I-405/SR167/Rainer Ave S cloverleaf. There may have been an adult and 1-2 young. I didn't get a real good look nor have time to stop for photos, but it sure seemed like an odd spot for them.
We used to see them up on the hill just east of there, but that was over half a century ago now. Who knows why they were in the cloverleaf though, must’ve been something they like to feed on that drew them in there.
It’s nice to know that some are still around with all the growth that’s gone on.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
A few days ago, the local Steller's jays were putting out a racket. I figured that there must be a Cooper's/sharp-shinned hawk or barred owl in the area. And low and behold, this bird flew up into a lower branch of a Douglas fir in view of my home office. So, here is the best picture of the group.
BarredOwl3195trim.jpg
Steve