What's in your vise?

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hopefully improved (over my previous poppers), @Nick Clayton inspired tuna slider (?) to get me on the albacore popper board this year:

1691175274981.png
Foam head wrapped in craft ribbon, purty-ed up with markers, saltwater flashabou flecks, and 5mm eyes.
1691175307622.png
Bathroom sink test confirms intended nose-up attitude (surface puttering anchovy).
1691175335682.png

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
The_Pimp_1080.jpg

The Pimp

J L Mallette

Hook - Mustad 79580
Thread - Black
Tail - Golden pheasant tippet
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Body - Fluorescent green chenille
Throat - Red marabou
Wing - Polar bear or white bucktail over yellow krystal flash
Topping - Peacock herl

Last edited:

RichS

Life of the Party
These Brain Dead popper heads have proven to be effective, durable and easy to use. The five of these took just under an hour. Five deer hair bugs take me about four hours, so while I love the deer hair flies these are nice too. All have size 1/0 B10s and lots of rubber ( Silicone) legs. Some bird fur just to help separate the legs. Superglue the body a in place over a good base of thread or fine chennile.IMG_2015.jpegIMG_2016.jpegIMG_2017.jpegIMG_2018.jpegIMG_2020.jpeg

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
These Brain Dead popper heads have proven to be effective, durable and easy to use. The five of these took just under an hour. Five deer hair bugs take me about four hours, so while I love the deer hair flies these are nice too. All have size 1/0 B10s and lots of rubber ( Silicone) legs. Some bird fur just to help separate the legs. Superglue the body a in place over a good base of thread or fine chennile.View attachment 76174View attachment 76175View attachment 76176View attachment 76177View attachment 76178
Are those heads reversible? The cut on the back would give a nice "nose up" orientation it looks like. Awesome ties!

Scottp

Legend
Moore’s Muddler (variation)

53096825788_6be287f0ea_c.jpg

53096529934_4709906724_c.jpg

53095770177_f11e2e1482_c.jpg

A few minor changes to John Moore’s fly.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
tail - golden pheasant crest
butt - yarn red
rib - small wire silver
body - Ice Dub Harder’s Bloody Black
hackle - red/black
shoulder - hen grizzly dyed Silver Doctor Blue (2 packs Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry/1 cup water)
collar/head - deer hair dyed black (1 Tbs Rit Dark Brown/1 cup water overdyed with 1 Tbs Rit Black/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Blue-Tamara-1080.jpg

Blue Tamara

Roger Goulet

Hook - Single or double salmon
Thread - Black
Tip - Silver wire
Tail - Barred wood duck
Ribbing - Silver wire
Body - Powder blue uni stretch or floss covered with pearl tinsel
Throat - Dyed blue guinea hen fibers over black hen
Wing - Kingfisher blue hackle fibers over black squirrel tail over blue krystal flash

RichS

Life of the Party
I bought some Ahrex 378 predator swim bait hooks in an attempt to make a fly that will fish as well as a deer hair swimming frog, but never land upside down. I think I like this one and it casts ok in the yard. Haven’t fished it yet though.
IMG_2026.jpegIMG_2025.jpegIMG_2024.jpeg

Hook Ahrex 378 #2/0
Back legs: barred olive silicone. Left the tabs attached to create somewhat of a paddle tail action and keep the legs separated
Lower Body: olive crystal chenille and grizzly saddle hackle wrapped in a complex twist and combed out.
Upper body: 3 mm olive foam spotted with black marker. This serves a a bit of a weed guard. Cut a notch at the rear of the body to minimize hook interference.
Front legs: olive silicone
Head: olive over chartreuse green over white deer.
Eyes: yellow doll eyes

Scottp

Legend
Muddled Black & Tan

53098803126_bfc5cc120d_c.jpg

53098981934_5944cf6b83_c.jpg

53098981929_55c22800f2_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
tag/rib - Krystal Flash root beer
body - dubbing tan
hackle - grizzly dyed March Brown (Collins)
shoulder - pheasant rump
collar/head - deer hair dyed black (1 Tbs Rit Dark Brown/1 cup water overdyed with 1 Tbs Rit Black/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Divad

Whitefish
The-Tamagodi-1080.jpg

The Tamagodi

Daniel Gadbout

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Red
Body - White wooly nylon thread covered with yellow uni stretch. Coat the body with uv resin
Wing Dyed green squirrel tail
Hackle - Dyed green guinea fowl
Norm I really like the body on this one, very different from the norm… Are you building the taper in the nylon/uni or with thick epoxy? It looks so dang even!

Seems like a great foundation for other styles.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Vermont Caddis, size 12. This scruffy "friendly, yet duplicitous" fly is rapidly becoming my favorite ammunition for small stream trout fishing. It's so easy and quick to tie and works great dry or wet.

Brown thread, brown dubbing, brown and grizzly dry fly hackle mixed.

View attachment 76500
So damn buggy.
Even with my young eyes (I’m 35), this summer I’ve realized I cant see caddis’ for shit and have fully adopted putting either a fluorescent orange or pink hot spot on the top of all of my caddis patterns. It’s so helpful especially in choppy water and at dusk. They don’t seem to affect my catch rate and it’s only one small extra step.

I’m shit, I think I’ve put hot spots on almost all my dries this year short of parachute flies. I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt but the white Congo hair is bright enough for me to see

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
So damn buggy.
Even with my young eyes (I’m 35), this summer I’ve realized I cant see caddis’ for shit and have fully adopted putting either a fluorescent orange or pink hot spot on the top of all of my caddis patterns. It’s so helpful especially in choppy water and at dusk. They don’t seem to affect my catch rate and it’s only one small extra step.

I’m shit, I think I’ve put hot spots on almost all my dries this year short of parachute flies. I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt but the white Congo hair is bright enough for me to see
I hear ya! I do a lot of "My fly is approximately there" and then striking at rises in that vicinity. This Vermont Caddis fly often ends up suspended by the hackle with the body submerged and hanging straight down (maybe mimicking an emerger). So the most effective hot spot might be a couple turns of white hackle behind the eye, like a bivisible fly (another great old school small stream fly).