What's Catching You Fish?

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’m just back from the borderlands, where I got consistently lucky with the wrong flies, and broke off all the big fish, one way or another. The flies I lost were:

Bwo sofhackle during a midge hatch
Green softhackle during brown drakes (!)
Buzzball during caddis-y time
Cranefly** during roasty afternoon time. (!!)

(** I didn’t tie the cranefly, and owe Mr Butler thanks for the idea of buying a couple. Holysmokes, hotter’n July. I’m plotting an Outlaw copycat pattern named “Willie’s Gravy Crane” and/or “Willie’s Navel Crane.”)

298F4A10-B70C-4849-B260-E388200E7376.jpeg

The drake I crackered off in the middle of Famous Water. I have never farted in church, given limited opportunity, but the Good Lord can’t mind too much…

0225BE03-B4F4-4972-9FAE-50405EED510C.jpeg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The fish didn't care too much for the yellow humpy again but they would race each other, 2-3 at a time, to eat this yellow stimulator. Just the darnedest thing.
20230714_yellowstimmi.jpg
20230714_avefish.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Another fly was not catching me fish on Wednesday. I spent an embarrassing half an hour missing strike after strike on this fly:
View attachment 74926
Like @Bongoman 's tag, "check your fly". Frustrating, but I've done it too.
I've noticed the deer hair heads pick up green slime this time of year, and they fish better when clean. Plus low water has me sharpening up the hook points often. Just takes a moment to make sure all is good.

Last edited: