Abbreviated July tying contest

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My cutthroat fishing is almost exclusively in Oregon coastal estuaries, typically in and around eel grass beds. Here are two of my favorite patterns. The lower is a @Kfish spoon fly (thanks Lou!). The upper is a pattern spun from the classic reverse spider developed by a guy that fishes the Oregon Coast.

IMG_7403.jpg

smith river  (1 of 1)-3.jpg
'

Last edited:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
My cutthroat fishing is almost exclusively in Oregon coastal estuaries, typically in and around eel grass beds. Here are two of my favorite patterns. The lower is an @Kfish spoon fly (thanks Lou!). The upper is a pattern spun from the classic reverse spider developed by a guy that fishes the Oregon Coast.

View attachment 73570

View attachment 73573
'
I still put those reverse spiders you sent me on rotation. They're really durable, holding up great after many fish and seasons.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
This has put more river SRCs into my net than I can count...haven't fished for them for a number of years, but it's almost always with some version of this (with beadhead and hackle over the bead)...

PXL_20230719_204816823~2.jpg

PXL_20230719_204757242~2.jpg

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A down-sized my tuna squid for SRC. Never fished this for cutties. Then again, I rarely get to fish them. I'd have some confidence fishing it, even if based on my relative Puget Sound ignorance. Also thought this might be seasonally appropriate for coho.

Splurged a bit of genuine polar bear, white nayat, and pearl angel hair. 8mm eye. Hook is a Daiichi X452 #6. Four inches total length (too big for SRC?).

Screenshot_20230728_085123_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One more that I know catches SRC. A larger, brighter variant on a simple pattern I call a Krystal Krill. The original is more a winter amphipod/euphasiid imitation, but has caught adult coho.

Screenshot_20230728_100738_Gallery.jpg

Basically a loosely dubbed body of Ice Dub or similar flashy dubbing (ice dub and angel hair on this one) with a few long strands of flash material (holographic pink flashabou here) for "hackle". This one also tied with coho and pinks in mind. On a Daiichi X452 #6.

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
IMG_2731.jpeg
My biggest cuttie of all time was caught on a soft hackle like this…I’ll be tying up some in 14 & 16, snowshoe rabbit foot dubbing, partridge in natural, brown & olive. I try a couple with rust brown thread as well

Divad

Whitefish
One more that I know catches SRC. A larger, brighter variant on a simple pattern I call a Krystal Krill. The original is more a winter amphipod/euphasiid imitation, but has caught adult coho.

View attachment 74934

Basically a loosely dubbed body of Ice Dub or similar flashy dubbing (ice dub and angel hair on this one) with a few long strands of flash material (holographic pink flashabou here) for "hackle". This one also tied with coho and pinks in mind. On a Daiichi X452 #6.
This pattern just seems flavorful like a little piece of shrimp candy with a chefs kiss of stabbing you 👌

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
One of the things I love about SRC is all the crazy things you can catch them on. Here are some of my favorites from this year. In the end though, I still don’t think much outperforms variations on olive buggers.

Favorite 2023 chum fry pattern.

IMG_2917.jpeg

One of my favorite winter time pattern types..

IMG_2920.jpeg

IMG_2919.jpeg