53037664432_39a67d8a28_c.jpg

53038729213_6f47dff074_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 fire orange
tail - golden pheasant neck feather
rib - small wire gold
body - Starburst dubbing olive
body hackle - olive
shoulder - pheasant rump dyed orange (1 Tbs Rit Sunshine Orange/1 cup water)
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

Scottp

Legend
Wade’s Ho Candy (variation)

53040892850_844b286599_c.jpg

53040891635_16ce329fe7_c.jpg

53040507786_fb604d9d5c_c.jpg

53040891630_e626e10085_c.jpg

Playing around with Tim Wade’s version of the Madame X; added body hackle and skipped the underwing flash.

hook - WFC Model 3 #8
thread - Uni 6/0 fire orange
tail - golden pheasant tippet
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub orange
hackle - dyed olive (2 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Camel/2 cups water)
shoulder - chukar partridge dyed golden olive
wing/head - deer hair
legs- medium round rubber corn snake

Regards,
Scott

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Peacock and partridge
I haven’t tied this small for a while
Everything is so small and fragile!View attachment 72713
Hoping to swing up a grayling in 2 weeks 🤞
A friend and I went fishing for Grayling at a hike in lake in Colorado when we were young men. Naturally, we didn’t know diddly about Graying. The surface of the lake was covered with rises when we arrived and we were getting strike after strike on our dry flies but no hookups. Eventually, we hooked one and when got it to the net we were astonished to find that the mouth was the size of the fingernail on your pinky. We downsized from 12’s to 16’s and started hooking them consistently. So we learned two things that day: they like dry flies and you need to use small flies.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
A friend and I went fishing for Grayling at a hike in lake in Colorado when we were young men. Naturally, we didn’t know diddly about Graying. The surface of the lake was covered with rises when we arrived and we were getting strike after strike on our dry flies but no hookups. Eventually, we hooked one and when got it to the net we were astonished to find that the mouth was the size of the fingernail on your pinky. We downsized from 12’s to 16’s and started hooking them consistently. So we learned two things that day: they like dry flies and you need to use small flies.
Last year the guy that fished for them the most and had the greatest numbers of fish used 2 size 16 EHC. These are 14 with Caddis in mind. I am a wet fly fisher at heart. Love a surface eat, but am addicted to a tight line grabIMG_0925.jpeg
These are 16-18” on average - thumbnail sizes mouths!

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Last year the guy that fished for them the most and had the greatest numbers of fish used 2 size 16 EHC. These are 14 with Caddis in mind. I am a wet fly fisher at heart. Love a surface eat, but am addicted to a tight line grabView attachment 72776
These are 16-18” on average - thumbnail sizes mouths!
That’s a huge Grayling. As I recall over the fog of 50 odd years, we were catching 10-12” fish.