Backyard Wildlife

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
What do they charge you to trim your lawn, Brian? ;)

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
What do they charge you to trim your lawn, Brian? ;)

Lol Jim 😂
My back yard lawn, or should I say my entire back yard is in pretty sad shape after winter.
Momma bunny must have used the area under my deck rather than my lawn to hatch this years brood after last years mowing incident.
Boy they sure are skiddish. Any bird that flies overhead and they exit for under the deck quickly. Hopefully as they grow, they’ll disperse and start mowing some of my neighbors lawns or head to the park.
SF

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
PS, if anyone knows anything about leucistic vs. albino I'd be curious to know if there's any obvious differences between the two. I think this one was leucistic, but I guess I don't know enough about it to be sure.
To elaborate, albinos cannot make pigment. So they are white with some pink features like eyes and noses.

Leucistic can make pigment but fail to mobilize the pigment into hair or feathers, to varying degrees. So noses can still be black.

hair and feathers in Leucistic animals , may still get some pigment and be cream rather than pure white, or sometimes some parts have pigment and others are white. If totally random, it’s called piebald. Often a bilaterally symmetrical pattern of white and pigmented is seen

thats my understanding.

jay

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I knew they were out there but now I have proof:
IMG_9871(1).jpeg

Shitty picture for sure but that’s the ass end of a large cougar walking down the street after walking across my front field this morning
I am right off 9 about 5 miles north of Arlington

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Anybody else noticing more rabbits than usual in western WA. I’ve seen 6 or 7 different ones around the yard the last few days. Including this tiny little fella who seems a bit to comfortable around humans and my dogs. He better grow up fast, lots of owls around as of late as well.

B01FFD1C-CC85-4B70-A6DA-F3B9E0208F47.jpeg

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Anybody else noticing more rabbits than usual i
Yes! When we landscaped our back yard in 2013, I had to fence it to keep the deer out. Keeping the deer out also keeps the coyotes out, so the yard has become something of a rabbit haven. And they multiply like, well, like rabbits! We also have a nesting pair of great horned owls in the fir trees at the bottom of the hill, and we wish they'd take more rabbits, a lot more! They're probably pretty well fed, cuz, yeah, we gots rabbits!

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes! When we landscaped our back yard in 2013, I had to fence it to keep the deer out. Keeping the deer out also keeps the coyotes out, so the yard has become something of a rabbit haven. And they multiply like, well, like rabbits! We also have a nesting pair of great horned owls in the fir trees at the bottom of the hill, and we wish they'd take more rabbits, a lot more! They're probably pretty well fed, cuz, yeah, we gots rabbits!
The circle of life

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Lots of bunny photos lately, Garden thread, Seattle I5 corridor rabbits thread, Backyard wildlife. This guy's not in the garden, and we're not in the I5 corridor, so I guess he belongs here, though not sure he really qualifies as wildlife.

1685640654479.jpeg

Cheers

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Uhhh...so there was just a pheasant in my back yard.
I live in West Seattle.
What the actual???
I thought I was hallucinating.
View attachment 67136
The pheasant is hanging around. I heard it once yesterday, and once early this morning. Then my kid got excited about seeing out their window "a strange bird" in the front yard. It reportedly looked like a fancy pigeon chicken. I showed her this picture and it was a positive ID. :)

Edit—yep, just spotted it and got another crappy pic
4D80B2A0-C9EB-45C8-A996-B9962D99BAFF.jpg

Last edited: